All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peder Jensen (Sandvik) he married Caroline Larsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vivian

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  04:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the information is doing good on my mother's side of my family ,I thought I would start my father's side of the family.My grandfather's name was Peder Jensen Sandvik when he came to the U.S. he dropped the name Sandvik.I think the name is a farm his family came from.I am not sure of the year he came but it most have been early 1900's.He married Caroline or Carolina Larson or Larsen.She to come over in the early 1900's.It was thought she came throw Ellis Island but I can't find the records.She was born in or about the year 1892.I don't know much about my grandfather.or grandmother I am still waiting for the imformation.Thank you Vivian

vivian

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  10:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are more than 50 farms by the name Sandvik in Norway and Peder Jensen was a common name. More info must be available if you expect to find your grandfathers ancestors.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

vivian

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  05:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok here goes I got some paper work on my grandmother her name is Karoline Larsen Koussno not sure of that spelling can't read the writing.She was born around 1890.I think in a town of Undal??I know she was born in the ;month of Feb.26th of July she married Martin Williamsen Torpe. She had 2 children by him(boys) here in the States. In May of 1925 she married Peder Jensen Sandvik.She was 17 years old when she came to the U.S. I've been told .Thank you Vivian

vivian
Go to Top of Page

vivian

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  06:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think i found my Grandfather but not sure.He was born in 1886 in Heroy i Nordland. On the Aakvik Sandvik Farm. Help thank you Vivian

vivian
Go to Top of Page

vivian

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  03:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok the imformation on Karoline Larsen was wrong . God I am so mixed up. Today I talked to my Aunt on the phone her Mother's name in Norway was Karoline Lars some was along the time it was changed to Larsen. She was Born in Mondal. Her father was a farmer. My aunt said she worked sewing cloths to make money to come to the U.S.She came at the age of 16 or 17 the year she was born is around the same year I posted before thank you Vivian

vivian
Go to Top of Page

vivian

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  04:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Aunt told me my grandfather name was Peder Jensen Sandvik. She said she was told that Sandvik is the name of the town he came from and that it was Northern Norway. I've found the town in Akershus Fylke.She also told me my Grandfather was a fisher man at the age of 14. Would anyone know anything about this town or how to find family of my grandfather there.
Thank you Vivian

vivian
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  13:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bouncing back and forth with information on two different people is obviously causing much confusion to you and to your readers. You should really concentrate on one person at a time.

Akershus fylke is in far SOUTHERN Norway -- so that doesn't fit the information given to you by your aunt. There are several farms called Sandvik in Herøy i Nordland - why do you want to abandon your previous find you said you had there?

Where have you found your Peder Jensen in US censuses -- definitely? What birth year and immigration year were listed for him in those? (Checking in more than one census is always a good idea -- gather all those that are possible and check them carefully for every tiny bit of useful information.)
When was he born? When did he come to the US? Did he have other family members who settled near him after he emigrated? Identify them by name and age if possible. Maybe the following linked short article will help you to choose and present the facts -
Writing a Good Query

It does not encourage anyone to spend their time to help you when you can't organize your information and can't be careful with the facts you offer. Do your homework in US records to get the basic facts for identification and present them again. Perhaps then we can locate him in the right area of Norway so that you'll be able to continue your research on his earlier ancestry.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article