All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Information on Johannes Berge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  21:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like some more help from the members. Specifically, in tracking down information on Johannes Berge. Since December 2007, the forum members have been helping me find information on a Halvor Johannessen (Johnson). We ran into a dead end in trying to find out who Halvor's father was. Today I ran across a Post on a genealogy board which leads me to believe his father could be a Johannes Berge from Hegebostad in Vest Agder.

Here is the Post from the board.

I’m looking for one of the earlier emigrants from the Stavanger-region, Rogaland, Norway. In 1850 Halvor Jonsen, also known as Halvor Johannesen and Halvor Berge, emigrated from Jåsund, in the Sola municipality, to North-America with his family. He left his farm together with his wife Ingeborg Tjerandsdatter Helland, their 8 children plus their son Johans wife Karen Malene Hansdatter from Revheim in Madla.
Halvor was born around 1803 a son to Johannes Berge from Hegebostad in Vest Agder, and in 1826 he married Ingeborg. Their first child, Johan, was born in 1827. The later children are: Marta Oline, Ingeborg Helene, Karine, Gunnhild, Anna Kristine, Halvor and Carl Johan. Johan married Karen Helene April 4th, only 5 days before they are noted in the church book as left for America.
A friend of mine is trying to find any descendants og trace of this family in America. Please put your resources to work and help her. Any hints will be of great help.

Atle

This information is a direct match with information I have on Halvor's family. Would you all help me out and see if you can find information on this Johannes Berge.

Thanks a lot.

Richard

Richard Reise

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  22:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand. Which records have YOU already checked? What records are you looking for?

You'll find the church records for Sola usually under the district Håland in Rogaland.
As is clearly listed in the several postings on Ancestry/RootsWeb message boards by Atle Skarsten he lists the father Johannes as having been in Hegebostad (Hægebostad), Vest-Agder -- or at least should be shortly before 1803 birth of a son.
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  23:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm actually trying to make sense of this new information and I really need some help. Previously, members shared information that indicated that when Halvor was baptized -- at the age of nineteen I believe -- he didn' t know who his father was. The Census records for 1801 has 4 Johannes in Heggebostad in 1801.

955 Johannes Torufsen Mand 36 Begge i 1ste ægteskab Huusmand uden jord, dagarbeide M
1338 Johannes Mathisen Deres børn 9 M
1342 Johannes Mathisen Hosbondens fader 80 Enkemand efter 1ste ægteskab Lever af gaarden M
2085 Johannes Larsen Deres børn 28 Ugift Natio. soldat M

One was 80. One was 9. That leaves two possibles for Halvor's father. Johannes Mathisen and Johannes Larsen. Is it likely that one of these two is Johannes Berge and therefore Halvor's father?

Can some one look at a farm book for Berge and see if either of these two Johannes lived or farmed in Berge.

Thank you

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article