All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Norwegian Last Names
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jesse Weber
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  08:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family from Norway have very different names than those from England. Every time a father would have a son, that child would take their father's name and add 'sen' or 'son' to it (like Anfind Pedersen was Peder Anfindsen's son). Or, if he would have a daughter, she would take his name and add 'datter' or 'dotter' at the end of it (like Martha Guttormsdotter was Gutorm Sigurdson's daughter). Is this common throughout Norway, or was it just a family tradition?

D. Jesse Weber

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  11:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Common up to about 1900.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  18:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The naming practice is called patronymic. It was common to all the Scandinavian countries.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  19:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will also find similar traditions in other countries.

Russia and Scotland also have similar traditions. - suffexes or prefixes are added to the father's fisrt name to create a family identity/name.

Other countries will use the home location to identify people, such as "von" in Germany, and "le" or "de" in other countries when you go back further.

Names are always a challenge to Americans, who get fussy about spelling differences, let alone the totally new family name. You will also find the differences created by dropping the first name given at birth in documents after baptising. You see many "Johans" or "Johannes" in birth records, but can have good luck by searching later records without the first given name.

Keep an open mind and in many cases, church records give accurate dates if you distinguish between bith and christening dates. If you look for siblings, you can also find family continuity.

Dick

Edited by - Richard Schumacher on 02/09/2008 19:18:37
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  20:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only Iceland of the Scandinavien countries keep up this traditional naming.
In Norway its still used, but it´s very, very seldom, I have seen it used on daughters and then as a middle name in connection to the family name .

Patronymic naming:
Ole´s son became Olsen and his daughter became Olsdatter, Johns son became Johnsen and his daughter became Johnsdatter, etc.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 02/09/2008 20:25:40
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just yesterday I was wondering whether Iceland was keeping up the practice. Now I have the answer to my question. I was reading an article about whales and Iceland and I noticed that the women all had names that ended with dattir.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article