All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Where to start for a friend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jcastr01
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  04:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told a friend of mine of what a success I had between this website, ancestry.com, and digitalarkivet.no in finding out information about my great-grandparents, and their parents and their parents' parents. I'd like to try to help him, but I know he can go back only as far back as a relative named Ole Olsen born approx 1861 in Flekkefjord. Arrived in the US approx 1880 and married to a woman named Hermine Hansen also from Flekkefjord born sept 29 1863.
I don't see any digitial parish records in the Flekkefjord section of the digitalarkivet.no site dating prior to 1870. I guess I'd just like to be able to give him maybe something closer than an approximate birthdate for Ole Olsen and maybe some other family information.

Edited by - jcastr01 on 30/08/2008 15:05:11

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  07:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hermine is #93
her parents being Hans Hansen and Anne Malene Atlaksdatter.
You will find the family in 1865
Hermine emigrated in 1887, see 9517

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/08/2008 07:54:51
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  07:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prior to 1870 Flekkefjord was a part of Nes parish.
But you will probably not find him there. I checked the emigrant records from Kristiansand, and think I found him as emigrant in 1877. He travelled together with his parents, and they used Olsen as a family surname. In 1865 census they were not in Flekkefjord, but in Sokndal, a neighbouring parish in Rogaland county 1865 census Sogndal. Here they do not use family surname. They use patronymic surnames, as most Norwegians did at then. Ole was born as Ole Mikalsen in 1861 in Sokndal parish. Nr 29 1861.
Hermine is a rare name, so she is easier to find 1875 census Flekkefjord

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  08:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The baptismal record for Hermines oldest brother Hans is #34
Hans and Anne Malene was married Nov 12 1848, see #7
Hans was born Oct 29 1820, see #16
his parents being Hans Hansen and Anne Olsdatter Stuhoug.
Anne Malene was born Oct 11 1823, #11
her parents being Atlak Johnsen and Malene Svendsdatter Skaar.
Atlak Jonsen and his parents in 1801
Hans Hansen married to Anne Olsdatter at the Stuhoug farm in 1801

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/08/2008 09:52:10
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  17:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole was born Jan 7 on the Guddal farm and baptized April 21 1861. From the 1865 census you will see the same farm name and the parents Michael Reinert Olsen and Karen Sofie Tønnesdatter.
Oles father Michael Reinert Olsen was born May 16 1817 and baptized May 25. His father was Ole Rasmussen and the mother Berthe Berentsdatter.
Oles mother Karen Sofie Tønnesdatter was born Nov 24 1827 at Siirnæs and baptized Dec 9. Her parents were Tønnes Tollaksen and Karen Pedersdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/08/2008 17:10:49
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  21:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I will assume that your friend wants to learn how to research his/her own Norwegian ancestry.

Give them the link to these basic articles which will help them learn about what important materials are available for Norway and how to use them.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html

The names, vital dates and the place of Flekkefjord were of course, the most important information to start with. You were completely correct to start by trying to find Flekkefjord and what resources exist for that area. When things get hard to locate, such as with the "border area" of Flekkefjord I'd like to recommend that you turn to the LDS Family History Library catalog Place Search. I just did a catalog Place Search on that website (familysearch.org) and checked what was written under the topic of Church Records for that area. There it states "Contains priest and sexton records from the parishes Nes with Flekkefjord city and Hidra (Hitterø) in Flekkefjord clerical district. Nes and Flekkefjord were separated from Lund clerical district in Rogaland county and Hidra from Sokndal clerical district in Rogaland county in 1820." under the title "Kirkebøker, 1724-1931" which means Church books 1724-1931.

From the above you could expect to find records for Flekkefjord under either Vest-Agder or Rogaland at various points of time. It mentions the other nearby district names of Lund, Nes, Sokndal and Hidra (Hitterø) so keep that in mind when search for what name the records might be stored under.

Other really good websites and advice to give your friend who would like to learn -
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html
http://www.rhd.uit.no/art/michael02.html

Some advice for learning to use the scanned church records on the Digitalarkivet website -
The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  20:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hans Hansen, Hermines brother was born March 29 1851, see #4
Hermines sister Marie was born June 15 1853, see #51
Sept 7 1855 the sister Amalie was born, see #75
Another sister Hanne Dorthea wborn Sept 29 1857, see #73
On April 1 1859 her brother Harald Johan was born, see #38

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 31/08/2008 20:39:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article