All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Senator Alexander Wiley's Norwgian heritage.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hallgeir Olav Aalien
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  12:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should like to know about Senator Alexander Wiley's (1884-1967) Norwegian heritage:

- The names of his parents, brothers and sisters and in
what year did they come to the US.

- Wiley's Norwegian family name, and from what district
in Norway did they come from.

Thank you so very much!

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  13:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Census-1900 for Chippewa, Wisconsin shows his parents as Alexander (53) & Sophia (46) Wiley.
Sophia is listed as imigrated in 1857, Alexander in 1870.

Their children:
Alexander Wiley (16)
Rosa Wiley (13)
Bertha Wiley (11)
Robert Wiley (8)
Seila Wiley (5)

All children born in Wisconsin.
Some sources list his fathers origin as Vilaplassen near Kongsberg, Buskerud.
Other sources list him as "Numedøl", i.e. his origin should be one of the 4 municipalities Kongsberg, Flesberg, Rollag or Nore & Uvdal in Buskerud.

Alexander Wiley Sr is a hotel keeper in Chippewa Falls, Wis in 1880. Some difference in age compared to census-1900.
Alexander Wiley Sr looks to be born around 1845.

Sophia's last name was Ekern, and her father was John Ekern. They lived in New Hope, Portage County, Wisconsin.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 15/04/2009 16:58:21
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  14:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A first guess would be Alexander Gulbrandsen from Høiset (Rasmusplads) in Veigli Annex, Rolloug, Buskerud, census-1865.
Maybe he took the name Wiley from the area "Veigli"?
He emigrated with his brother Svend on June 30th, 1871.
Sven and Alexander "Geddbrandson" arrived New York on July 19th, 1871, sailing on the S/S City of Brooklyn, departuring Liverpool.

But: Alexander Wiley are some places recorded as Alex Hvila and Alex Alexson, so I doubt he was a Guldbrandson... it looks more like he was an "Alexandersen" in Norway. Possibly with a brother named Nils...? (see census-1880 for Chippewa Falls)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 15/04/2009 17:21:27
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  17:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Following is an article written about Alexander Wiley during his run for the governorship of Wisconsin. It says Kongsberg is where his father's family farm was located.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&orderby=&id=3375&pn=1&adv=yes&hdl=&np=&ln=wiley&fn=alexander&q=&y1=&y2=&ci=&co=&mhd=&shd=

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  17:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1900-census shows a farm named Hvila in Flesberg, Buskerud. This area is just north of Kongsberg.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  19:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ulvestad, Nordmændene i Amerika page 997:

Wiley, Alexander, Son of Alek Wiley (from Vila, Nummedal) District lawyer in Chippewa Falls, WI from 1908. Brother John Wiley, town clerk in Chippewa Falls from 1904.

Trond Austheim
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  19:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vila could be todays Hvila, same pronunciation, in Flesberg.
There are families named Hvila living in Flesberg and Kongsberg, north south of Svene sub parish in Flesberg municipality it´s a bus stop Hvila at Gvila (older spelling for Hvila?).

Kåre (lives in Kongsberg)

Edited by - Kåarto on 16/04/2009 23:38:08
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  22:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sophie is from Brudal-Ekren in Østre Gausdal, Oppland.

#49, Sophie
Born 13 SEP 1853, Østre Gausdal, Oppland
Christening 02 OCT 1853, Østre Gausdal, Oppland
Parents: Johan Olsen & Ronnoug Jacobsdr

Census-1860 for New Hope, Portage Wisconsin shows this family:
John Olsen 41 Norway
Ronde Olsen 31 Norway
Ole Olsen 9 Norway
Sophia Olsen 7 Norway
Ingabert Olsen 4 Norway
John Olsen 1 Wisconsin

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 15/04/2009 22:17:25
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  04:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Rowberg Biographical File action on the Wiley family:

Obituary for Alexander Wiley published in the Stanley (Wisconsin) Republican on 30 Mar 1923. This is the father of the Alexander who was later a U.S. Senator. It says that he was "born on October 15, 1845 near Kongsberg, Norway." (No deathdate given but it says that he died last Thursday morning at his home.) Survivors mentioned are wife and seven children, four daughters, three sons. The names of the children are Mrs. Ida Smith of Duluth, Minnesota; Aurora and Lilah (Lalah?) of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin; Bertha Souba of Minneapolis, Minnesota and John, Robert, Alexander, Jr. all of Chippewa Falls.

Obituary for Alexander Wiley, Jr no publication recorded. It says that "han flere ganger besøkt Norge og gaarden Hvila i Svene i Numedal som hans far kom fra. Hans mor kom til U.S.A. som barn fra Ekern i Gausdal."

Obituary for Robert Wiley, published in Decorah Posten 9 May 1961 says that Robert died in St. Paul, Minn. He was a WWI veteran. His survivors include his wife, his daughter Mrs.Thomas Heath, Jr. and a son Robert, jr and sisters Mrs. Ida Smith Duluth, Minn.; Mrs. Bertha Souba Minneapolis, Minn; Aurora Wiley of Racine, Wisc.; Mrs. Lillian Smith of Asheville, S.C. and brother Alexander of Washington, D.C.

So happy to say Jan Peter and Kåre have discovered the right venues according to information found here in U.S. You may want to check this one out--seems to be most likely datewise and farmwise but what an interesting transformation of a name from Hellick to Alexander.

Source information: Buskerud county, Flesberg, Parish register (official) nr. I 6 (1834-1860), Birth and baptism records 1845, page 47.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5867&idx_id=5867&uid=ny&idx_side=-53
Permanent imagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061031350580.jpg

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/04/2009 04:36:58
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  10:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are right there, Jackie! Good work!
Alexander looks not to be a used name in this area, but there is a lot of Hellik's in Numedalen.. The one you found must be the right one.

Hellik
Born 15 Oct 1845
Chr: 26 Oct 1845, Flesberg, Buskerud
Parents: Ingebret Carstensen Hvila & Jøran Nielsdatter
Census-1865

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/04/2009 10:35:51
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  14:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing that the needle in the hay stack was found.

Løvig, Myra and Rambergtangen you found in the 1865 cenus is correct Jan Peter, Ingebrekt was from Løvig whe he married Joron on July 24. 1842.
Ingebrekts brother Carsten takes over the farm, two of his children was born on Gvila (Nordre and Søndre). He used the name Hvila and Løvik, but Hvila became his family name, also used by all of his children.
The emigration records for Flesberg is not complete, it was emigrants from Hvila in 1871, two sisters Joran and Ingeborg Ingebrektsdatter Hvila and Carsten Carstensen Hvila in -84 (he returned back to Norway, inf. given from his grandaughter) ,none are mentioned in the emigration records.

Did Ingebrikt Carstensen and the whole family emigrate?

Neither Ingebret or his family could be found in Flesberg Bygdebok after a quick look up in the library, puuuuh, 6 volumes.

Sv. in the church records (in front) stands for Svene church

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 16/04/2009 23:44:09
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  14:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to question his emigration year... Sources says he came to Wisconsin in 1870, but he could have emigrated earlier, and then re-located to Wis in 1870? Census information from Chippewa Falls, Chippewa, Wisconsin show various info:

1880: Alex Wieley, born 1845
1900: Alexander Wiley, born 1846, imm 1870
1910: Alexander Wiley, born 1846, imm 1866
1920: Alex Wiley Sr., born 1845, imm 1852

1852 looks to be too early, taken into consideration that he should have worked in the silver mines in Kongsberg, before emigration. But he could have left before the 1865-census...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/04/2009 14:54:59
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  17:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I think Alex, Sr.'s mother and sister are still on Hvila in the 1900 census, mor is a widow and sister is unmarried-- so unlikely that the whole family came to America.

In the 1900 census listing for Alex Sr, is there also a note whether or not he is Na (naturalized), Pa (papers filed) or Al (Alien)? I think in the Alex jr story (at the Wisconsin Historical Society site)it says his father left home at 17 to seek his fortune. He wasn't with the family in the 1865 census in Norway. Was he living elsewhere in Norway that year? The obit for Alex Sr says that after coming to America he was employed in the logging business and later became a hotel keeper.

Does the original questor want more information about the Senator and his siblings?

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  18:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Jackie. I remember reading that he left at age 17. He must have emigrated around 1862 then.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  23:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I phoned a friend, her parents were friends to a Hvila family . She told me that Hvila and Rambergtangen was the same farm.

The location of Hvila is between Kongsberg and Svene at Skutsvik.
Enter this map, write Rambergtangen Flesberg, press Søk and watch Hvila.

Nordre and Søndre Gvila is across the river.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 16/04/2009 23:43:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article