All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Barsness family, Wisconsin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  07:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to look up descendents after Christina (Christianne) and John (Johan) Barsness. Her maiden name was Bakkerud. They lived in Eau Clair in 1930. Belive that John was truck-driver on a gas station. They have 2 girls, Alma J born 1914 / 15 and Deloris J born 1924 / 25.
Christina was daughter of Andreas (Andrew) C(hristiansen) Bakkerud from Norway.
Everything new info wold bee great!

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  16:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did some searching in the Eau Claire newspaper, but didn't find anything about this family. Do you know if John Barsness had any siblings that settled in Wisconsin, because I see many Barsness's in the Black Earth, Wisconsin area, which is west of Madison, WI? I will check cemetery listings and let you know what I find.

Beste Hilsen
Wanda

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 25/03/2009 18:03:36
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a cemetery search in the Eau Claire area and I only found two Barsness's listed. Bruce R. and Russell E. Barsness are buried at Lakeview Cemetery. http://www.eauclaire.lib.wi.us/community/add_hist/cemeterysearch.cfm

Is it possible that the spelling could of changed? You can put in just "BAR" and search that way too, but I didn't find either John, Christina or an Alma J or Delores.
I'll keep looking.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russell and his son, Bruce were formerly from Minnesota.

Do you have the location of your Barsness family in the early census? I do not have access to the 1930 census online.

1920 Wisconsin Trempealeaw Co, Albion Township John 27, Cristina 26, Alma 4 1/2 - all born in Wisconsin. Johns father born in Norway, his mother in Wisc.
BARSNESS JOHN 27 M W WI WI TREMPEALEAU ALBION 1920

1910 Buffalo Co, Mondovi Township - John is age 16 at his parents - (9 children 7 living - all are at home. TJ emig.1884 from Norway. Wife Julia age 42 was born in Illinois.
BARSNESS T J 62 M W NORW WI BUFFALO MONDOVI TWP
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  22:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1930 US Census - Wisconsin, Eau Claire County, 14th District. They lived on Broadway St.
John Barsness, 37 years, renting home, married at age 23, born in Wisconsin, father born in Norway, mother in Wisconsin, employed as a truck driver for an oil station.
Christina Barsness, 36 years, married at age 22, born in Wisconsin, both parents born in Norway.
Alma J, 14, born in Wisconsin
Delores, 4 11/12, born in Wisconsin

I think he's looking for information about them after the 1930 Census.

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 25/03/2009 22:49:56
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  08:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi DELB and Lislcat

Thanks for new info.

Yes Liselcat I'm looking for information about them after the 1930 Census, so I can get in contact with those living to day - if there are any.

I 'm making a familybook and this desendants-branch is the only missing
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  08:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again.
I forgot to tell you that it is desendants after Alma and Delores who I'm interested in info about.

Geir
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  11:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not likely that their last name is Barsness, but anyhow, these are some in Wisconsin, found with
Search Bug

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/03/2009 11:27:24
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  18:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geir,

I'm just curious, but since you are looking for descendants after Alma and Delores, do you already have death dates for John and Christina Barsness? If so, that could be of tremendous help, because I have access to many newspapers and we might find an obit that would give us their daughter's married names. Just a thought.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  07:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wanda

I do not have info about their death, so you are right, there can be something there that could lead to Alma and Delores new name. But I have not found them in Wisconsin Death index 1959 - 1997, they mey have moved to another place, or died befor 59.

Geir
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  16:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were they related to the Ole Barsness family, that was also listed as living in Mondovi, in the 1905 Wisconsin Census? If so, I've found an obit for Ole's daughter and it lists her children and siblings. Please let me know if you are interested in this Barsness family and I'll send you the obit.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  18:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a probate listing in the Wisconsin State Journal, Madison, WI on January 15, 1939 for the estate of Christina Barsness, who died on December 22, 1938. She was from DeForest, WI, which is just north of Madison, WI. I can't find an obit for her (yet), so I don't know if it's the correct Christina Barsness, but I will keep looking. I feel like if we can just find one obit from that family, that it will lead us to more information.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2009 :  17:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't knew mutch about John Barsness or his ancestors.
It is Christina (Christiane Bak(k)erud) who I 'm in family with.
Since Ole Barsness lived in Mondovi in 1905, and John is there in Census 1910 I think they could be in family some way.
The name Barsness is a name of a little farm in vestern Norway. So this is not their realy sirname, but it was some who change to the farm name when they came to USA.
The problem is that the name is used first time in the census 1900 in Norway.
i.e. 1910 Buffalo, BARSNESS T J emig. from Norway 1884 -
T is his initial for the first name and J for his sirname I think.

There are some Barsness living in Madison today, some of them might knew something abot Christina who died 1938. I'll try to contact some of them.

Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2009 :  05:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the 1900 US Census and the 1895 Wisconsin Census, his name is Tomas or Thomas Barsness. They misspelled it as Borsness, but the rest of his family is listed with him in the 1900 Census.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  07:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have contacted some Barsness in WI with high age, but not get any info yet.
I have also been looking for Thomas J Barsness , but it had been easyer if I knew what J stands foror where (what farm) he came from in Norway.
Lists over Emig./ Imig. from 1883 / 1884 when he left Norway also a problem.
But should I find the needle in the hay cock I just have to look and look :)
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  13:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geir Dybvig

I don't knew mutch about John Barsness or his ancestors.
It is Christina (Christiane Bak(k)erud) who I 'm in family with.
Since Ole Barsness lived in Mondovi in 1905, and John is there in Census 1910 I think they could be in family some way.
The name Barsness is a name of a little farm in vestern Norway. So this is not their realy sirname, but it was some who change to the farm name when they came to USA.
The problem is that the name is used first time in the census 1900 in Norway.
i.e. 1910 Buffalo, BARSNESS T J emig. from Norway 1884 -
T is his initial for the first name and J for his sirname I think.

There are some Barsness living in Madison today, some of them might knew something abot Christina who died 1938. I'll try to contact some of them.

The farm name Barsness may be rendered as Barsnęs in the 1865 and the 1801 censuses (at Digitalarkivet) and there are many people on the place in 1801 and just a few in 1865. In 1865 they are in Askevold parish, Sogn og Fjordane.

Likewise there are numerous Barsnęs in the emigrants list from Bergen and while there appears to be no Thomas Barsness there are several Thorsten / Tosten Barsnęs including one who leftwas born in 1884.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 31/03/2009 13:26:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article