All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Anderson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  05:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kċre

There is some information on the descendants of Colburn Anderson including one of his sons Colby. If you are interested I will be glad to share what I have found. It is as usual mostly through ancestry.com and does not get much past 1917 when Colby registered for the World War I draft

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  10:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei Anton, thank you, I am very greatful for any help and for opening a new topic.,it should have been done earlier, my fault.
Well, done is done.

Its likley the same Colby born Dec. 1894. in Minnesota.
I would like to see when he registered for WW I.

Colby Anderson (most likley the same Colby) died 1959 in California and is buried at Golden Gate National Cemetery, San Bruno California

I have most of Kolbjĝrn and Josefines ancestors Anton.

It´s when it comes to the three youngest of Kolbjĝrn and my g. gramdmother Ingrid´s siblings, Mari, Ole and Jens, in Canada and oldest brother Anders Elllingsen (Anderson) emigration 1873 to Wilmar, Minnesota I have run into a brick wall.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  16:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first record I found on Colby Anderson was the Minnesota Territorial and State Census for 1905. He is 11 years old and living with his father Colbun and his 6 brothers and sisters in Kimberly, Aitkin, Minnesota.

The next time he shows up is the 1910 US Census where he is living again at Kimberly, but the head of the household is his brother William age 20.. Also living there are his five sisters and a nephew, Reynard, who is one and half years old.

In the 1920 US Census he is living on his own at Quadna township, Aitkin, with a group of three other men, he is listed as a partner.

The next record of him is when he registers for the World War I draft. His home address is givien as Kimberly, Minnesota and his birth date is Dec 5, 1894 and birth place as Kimberly, Minnesota. However he registered in Bensen, North Dakota and for employer he lists Nels F Nelsen, Maddock, North Dakota and occupation as farming. The date is June 5th, 1917. His is listed as having dark hair and grey eyes and tall with medium build.

Then he dissapears from the records until he appers again for the record US Veterans Gravesites. This record shows that he served in the US Army starting 20 Mar 1918 as a PFC (Private First Class). He died 30 Dec 1959 and was interred on 4 Jan 1960 at Golden Gate National Cemetary, San Bruno California.

Edited by - AntonH on 14/06/2009 16:58:25
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  17:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add that ancestry.com does allow sharing of documents. If you look back at one of the postings of KimConnorSchmidt, you can see how it is done. I shared some census data with her, it took a little time to figure it out but it does work.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  19:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking more at the father Coburn Anderson, I like you found him in the 1900 US Census with his family living in Kimberly, Aitkin, Minnesota. However I thought since he immigrated to the US in 1884 he should be findable earlier than that.

I think I found him and his family in the Minnesota State and Territorial Census taken on 1 May 1885. Then he is living at Twin Lakes, Carlton County, Minnesota. He is listed as being 27 years old born in Norway. Living with him are his wife Josephin age 21 born in Norway and daughters Maria age 3 born in Canada and Hulda age 1 born in Minnesota.

He is found again in the Minnesota State and Territorial Census taken on 15 June 1905. Now he is living at Kimberly, Aitkin, Minnesota. He is listed as being 48 born in Norway. Josephine is not listed. The children are
Marea age 23 born in Canada
Minne age 19 born in Minnesota
Willi age 15 born in Minnesota
Colby age 11 born in Minnesota
Clara age 9 born in Minnesota
Julia age 13 born in Minnesota
Alvea age 5 born in Minnesota

A question and a comment:

Are Maria-Marea and Alma the same person, probably so?

The family are living in Minnesota early in 1885 after having immigrated just the year before and without the three siblings you mentioned in your posting, thus it is very likely that the siblings stayed in Canada.

Twin Lakes is about 100 KM east of Kimberly Township.

Edited by - AntonH on 16/06/2009 02:31:26
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  21:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information Anton.
You have been busy today while I have relaxed in a conformation to my niece daughter.
So Colby worked in N.D. before before he served in the US army, that information is new to me.
Mary (Marea) born August 24. 1882 and Alma Jan. 1883 were both born in Canada, it must be Alma who died 1900 and is buried in Anderson Cemetery, Mary worked on a neighbor farm acc. the 1900 census.
1905 census leave out Josefine, she died that year, in 1910 only the children are recorded in the census for Kimberly Township, Kolbjĝrn died 1909.
I agree Kolbjĝrn should be found earlier than1900 in Minnesota, he settled down there 1884.

I also believe the three youngest siblings stayed in Canada, the 1900 census appeared as a brick wall to me.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 14/06/2009 21:12:30
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  21:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had mentioned in an earlier post for the 1920 US Census that Colby was found in Quadna Township as a partner. When I examined the Census record more closely, I realized that his brother William was also one of the partners.

For family Charles Olsen age 39 born in Sweden is listed as the head of the family and then
Colby Anderson age 25 Partner
William Anderson age 30 Partner

The three men rented the place, probably a farm and Colby and William were partners with Charles in the fam.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  22:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again for the information, Quadna is a Township in
Aitkin County so he and brother William born 1889 didn´move fare.
I had to start digging in my unorganized files, from the 1885 census I recieved in PDF:
Colby and Josefine with two daughters lived in Twin Lakes Township, Carlton County, Minn.

Anders Ellingsen age 24 arrived New York June 15. 1873.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 14/06/2009 23:30:07
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  03:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that Quadna is not currently a township in Aitkin County but is part of Macville Township. You can click on the Aitkin County Townships to see both the location of Kimberly Township and Macville Township which contains Quadna. Quadna today is a resort area with RV (recreational vehicle) park and golf course. It is called Quadna Mountain. Very small mountain, more of a hill but in the 1970s did have a small ski resort, now closed. Quadna is north of the town of Aitkin and near the small town of Hill City whereas Kimberly is east of Aitkin. They are in any instance not very far apart.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  03:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have found the record for the arrival of Anders Ellingsen on the St Olaf into New York, I assume you have seen that record. What is hard to understand is the great difficulty I have been having in trying to find further information on his time in the US.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  15:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Here is what The Official Roster from North Dakota for Soldiers, Sailors and Marines, World War 1917-1918 says about Colby Anderson, page 65:

Army number 472,564
registrant, Benson county
born: Kimberly, Minn; Dec 5, 1894 of Norwegian parents
inducted at Minnewaukan, N.D. March 20, 1918
sent to Jefferson Barracks, Mo
served: Coast Artillery Corps Fort Williams, Mo to Aug 27 1918;
Battery D, 47th Artillery, Coast Artillery Corps to discharge
grade: Private first class 6 Nov 1918
overseas: 14 Oct 1918 to 15 Feb 1919
Discharged: Camp Dodge, Iowa 12 Mar 1919, Private first class

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  16:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jackie and Anton, I really appreciate all you have done for me, I have worked on my Redalen family for a long time, step by step the information increase.

Anders Ellingsen was born on Ringnes in Krĝdsherad Oct. 4. 1849, I have seen Elling spelled Ayling (almost correct English pronunciation) in Canada, it would liklely cause problems to live as Anders Aylingsen in Minnesota, always questions about how the name was spelled, he likley changed to Anders Anderson, could be to Anders Redalen since his forfathers goes fare back on this farm, probably not Anders Ringnes.

Thanks again.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  17:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doing a search using the name Redalen results in many people but only one that catches your eye. That is Elling Redalen, however he was born in 1855, thus seems to be too young. His father is listed as Helge Redalen and mother as Margrette Tollefsdotter. He appears several times finally ending up in Iowa. Immigrated either 1874 or 1879 hard to read.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  20:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anton and thanks.
yes it was a large emigration from Redalen from between 1851-1873, even later, most of them from the same family, aunts, uncles, cousins, 1. cousins etc.
Emigrant from subfarms under Redalen used Redalen, I think perhaps Elling (Helgesen) Redalen could be one of them, I am not sure, in 1865 they lived on Bottolvsgaard, Redalen school district, in Krĝdsherad.
Anders and Elling was very common names in the Redalen families, Isack too.
I have been in contact with a cousin from Redalen living in USA and exchanged information, he send me the Minnesota censuses and the information from Canadian records I have shared here + more, in PDF, you have brought me more information on Coast Artillerist and farmer Colby Anderson and his older brother Wiliam.
Thanks agin.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 15/06/2009 20:33:19
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  21:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Kċre, I think we are again coming to that brick wall you wrote about earlier. I did search both Ellingsen and Ellingson no first name for the years 1870 to 1910 for male born in Norway in 1849 +/-5 years and immigration 1873 +/- 2 years. For Ellingson there were five people and for Ellingsen one person. Non of them were a very good match. I will see what can be done with Anderson/Anderwen.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  21:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The search using Anders Anderson using the critera born in Norway 1849 +/- five years turns up four names. One can be eliminated because immigation year is way off, one can be eliminated because he has children born in Norway. That leaves only two, One Anders Anderson born in Dec 1845, immigrated 1872 is unlikely because birth year is too far off. The other Anders Anderson was born in Apr 1854 and immigated in 1870, also not the best fit. Sorry Kċre no great candidates here.

Using the spelling Anders Andersen turns up no candidates..

Edited by - AntonH on 15/06/2009 21:47:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article