All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Kristine Pedersen and Ludvig Svensen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  22:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the same information on Christine from the 1900 US Census. Does the birthdate of Jun 1868 match with your Kristine.

Name: Christione Graningan
Home in 1900: Philadelphia Ward 1, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: Jun 1868
Birthplace: Norway
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1896
Relationship to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Mother: number of living children: 1
Mother: How many children: 1
Spouse's Name: Atony
Marital Status: Married
Residence : Philadelphia City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Atony Graningan 36
Christione Graningan 31
Anna M Graningan 1

Go to Top of Page

kemb

Norway
51 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  11:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW,this is great,and it must be the right Grenager-but is it the right Kristine? This puzzle gives more questions than answers-
I am thinking about Signe and Henry going to Ludvig Svenson,and mother- if Kristine was married to Grenager ,then why not go there? And there is Caroline Hansen at the same ship,going to Anton Grenager.! Really confusing-
Karl Anton Andersen was born in Langestrand,Larvik-he can not be the one in Sandherred?He had his confirmation in Larvik 1866-born 14/6 1851 Langestrand.
Found out about August Pedersen(persson),he was born in Karlanda,Sweden. In Husførhørsbøkene Nerke and Vermeland 1870:
Arbetare Aron Persson b.aug 9 1839 in Sillbodal
hustrun Lisa Andersdotter b 1830
son Johan b.jun.20 1862
son August b.apr.13 1865 and
daughter Anna Stina b.jun 9 1868

No daughter Kristina-but I will check if they did have more children,maybe in 1870---

So good of both of you to come along helping me with this,

karibeth
Go to Top of Page

kemb

Norway
51 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  12:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found out that Anton M Grenager was from Halden(Fredrikshald)
He left Norway on ship Rollo 16/3 1888 ,destination Philadelphia-he was a painter and 25 years old
He must hve been home visiting and left again 28/10 1892 on ship Angelo going to New York, 29 years now

Since he is from Halden where August and family lived,may be there is a connection there?? And he must have been born in 1863-
off to work now-see you later

karibeth
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  15:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes your information that Anton was a painter matches the description of his occupation on the 1900 US Census as painter.

Also looking at the information you have from the Swedish source is it possible that the person you have listed as Anna Stina born June 9 1868 is the same as your Kristine born in Norway in 1868 and the same as my Christone born in June 1868 from the 1900 US Census. One problem with this is were they born in Norway or Sweden.

A curious thing in the searches I have run, is that I have never ever seen anything close to a Ludvig Svensen. Do you know anything more about him. Where he was born, when he was born, when he immigrated etc. He is right now a complete mystery.

Edited by - AntonH on 24/09/2009 21:57:32
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  15:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is likely Anton M Genager on his second trip to America. I did not see any other passengers on this page that look interesting. From Ancestry.com.

Name: Austone M Grenager
Arrival Date: 14 Nov 1892
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1863
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Norwegian
Ship Name: City Of Chester
Search Ship Database: View the City Of Chester in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Go to Top of Page

kemb

Norway
51 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  19:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found Anton Mathias Grenager born in Halden(Fredrikshald) mar.1 1863
Parents are Paul Andreas Grenager and Severine Mathea

I have not found anything on this Ludvig Svensen except what I have been told from family,and the fact that he is mentioned in the manifest for Hekla in 1901-
It does seem that Anna Stina and Christione may be the same- although the names do not quite match--
Think I will have to look for Ludvig now- he may be swedish-or even danish--
oh dear-confusion is total--all this names and places--
but we are going in the right direction I think---

karibeth
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  21:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would not your Kristine and Anna Stina need to be the same if the parents are the same and both were born in 1868 That is if August and Kristine are siblings. Or do you not think that August and Kristine have the same parents.

Edited by - AntonH on 24/09/2009 22:04:41
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  23:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it is of interest to know that Karl Anton Andersen was married to Marthe Helene Andersdatter on Jan 1 1882, see #1
Marthe Helene Andersdatter died July 28 1891, see #30

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 24/09/2009 23:27:48
Go to Top of Page

kemb

Norway
51 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  00:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure about August and Kristine being sibling,and that is because of the names:kristine and Anna Stina--- everything else seem to fit-birthdates and the fact that Augusts son did travel along with Signe- maybe I should try to find him in USA to see if that could give a hint?And I do wonder why both children was in care of others in 1900-
well-do understand Signe-mother left to meet someone , and Henry? One parent must have died,and the other went to Amerika??

And YES-it is of great interest that you found Carl Antons first wife! Thank you both of you--must admit that my head is "spinning" with questions and ideas for how I possibly can solve this--

karibeth
Go to Top of Page

kemb

Norway
51 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  20:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will like to thank you two that followed me while I was searching ,finding,beliving and not beliving-and I always want to be 200% sure that things are right-before I put anything /anybody down as family- you two helped alot-and as I did recive some copies of old notes-actually from around 1890-1900- there is no longer any doubts- you were quite right to tell me this is the right persons-
Kristine Pedersen is Anna Stina Persson
father is Aron Persson from Silbodal,Vermeland,Sweden,mother Lisa Andersdotter
They moved to Norway sometime between 1877 and 1879-both Anna Stina and brother August did have their confirmation in Halden/Fredrikshald.Older brother Johan had his confirmation in Holmedal,Sweden in 1877-
The thing that made me hold back,was the name-Kristine-and Anna Stina- when I think it over; even if the Husførhørsbøker says the name is Anna Stina- the possibility of making the name short is there- so - no churchbooks for christening for Karlanda at that time -and Anna Kristina can easily be Anna Stina -
The notes that I received is Kristines-she wrote down names-
alot of them-but also Aron Pedersen,Lisa Andersen,August Pedersen,and alot of others that I do have to check out.
There also was this magna/magda that followed the children on their way to Amerika in 1901-
As for the Grenagers:Signe did have good relationship to Mrs Anna Grenager-Signes children always called her besta-but did not know that she was not a relative,really.and Signe was always close to Anna,daughter of A.Grenager and Christione-
Christione was not "our" Kristine---
I do think that I have made the connections-although I never found Kristines emigation/imigation- and I do belive I tried all possible names,

Thank you so much for help-if you by any coinsidence should come upon things that concern this matter..please let me know--

karibeth
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  21:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thank you so much for help-if you by any coinsidence should come upon things that concern this matter..please let me know
- so just to let you know: Aron Person, Modelsnekker and his wife Lisa Andersdtr. came to Tistedalen with their children August and Anne Stina in Febr 1873. This was recorded in 1877, see #23-26
Anna Stina was confirmed April 1 1883, see #28

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/09/2009 22:00:22
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  23:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder why you are so certain that Christione is not your Kristine. Her birthdate is June 1868, she came to America in 1896, and was married in 1898.
Go to Top of Page

kemb

Norway
51 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  23:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you ever so much- This has been some "brainstorm" and I am so thankful that you came along
to give me some help-
There still are things to sort out in this matter- so I guess I will be back asking for help--
but for this time THANK YOU

karibeth
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  23:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the Anton Grenager family in US Census 1910. At this time Christione is likely deceased and Anton has a new wife Anna. I do not know who Carl is.

Name: Carl Stephenes
Age in 1910: 11
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899
Birthplace: Norway
Relation to Head of House: Stepson
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Name: Anna
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
Home in 1910: Philadelphia Ward 26, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1895
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Auton Geusger 46
Anna Geusger 43
Anna Geusger 10
Carl Stephenes 11

Go to Top of Page

kemb

Norway
51 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  08:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure,but family says that Signe did state her mothers name as Kristine Svenson,and they do belive she married Mr.L.Svenson,and when Kristine died he remarried-then they belive that he dies and his new wife marries Mr Grenager.This has to be Anna then-and Carl Stephens he was probably Annas son? Looks like mine,your and our children--
But, all this is supposed to have happened between 1901 and 1910-and all I have for Ludvig Svendsen is the note in the manifest for ship Hekla in 1901-

karibeth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article