All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Liverpool to Chicago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarolTheis
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  02:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found out that Martin (age 23), Elizabeth (age 25), and Hannah Hanson (age 6 months) traveled from Christiania to Hull on 20 May 1881 on the Angelo. I assume they then went by train from Hull to Liverpool and then to the U.S., Chicago. So far, I haven't been able to find their arrival to the U.S. or Canada on the available Canadian records or the immigration records on the library version of Ancestry.com. My local archivists have said that finding these "Great Lakes" immigrants can be difficult. Does anyone have a suggestion for another source to check? Thanks.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  02:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used copies of the Quebec passenger manifests on microfilm at my local LDS Family History Center to find my arriving Norwegian emigrant ancestors.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  02:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Early naturalization records -- provided of course that your ancestor applied to become a citizen-- include a question about the date of arrival in US and port. Most commonly, it includes a month and year of arrival in which port. Later naturalization records include hugely detailed travel information into US. So naturalization records may provide partial answer for you.

The bygdelag organization's publications here in US & Canada often contain "journey" stories so if your ancestor joined a bygdelag there may be something in the appropriate bygdelag's magazine or annual.

General biographies and sometimes obituaries will sometimes include "journey stories."

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

CarolTheis
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  02:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this something you must order or do they always have these records at the center? Are the odds good that they came through Quebec?
Go to Top of Page

CarolTheis
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  02:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jackie, My ancestor did become a citizen but dealing with Chicago and Cook County for anything via mail is a major nightmare! It took them months to send me a document after I gave them all the details and they just had to retrieve it. That's why I would like to find another source.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  03:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the LDS Family History Center I had to order the films that I felt most likely to contain an arrival based on the timing when they had left Norway. My ancestors were heading to northern Illinois (first) and most of them arrived through Quebec.
There are articles on this website about the various ports of arrival you should consider.

Use the other resources on this website to look at some of the possible connections for that particular voyage of the Angelo and where those ships were headed.

If you are seriously determined to find their arrival in 'Amerika' you have to start searching somewhere....
Good luck.

I doubt that the budgets of cities and counties such as Chicago and Cook Co.IL include funding for helping genealogists. I'm sure such services would at the bottom of the priority list.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  03:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Okay Cook County is a big, busy place. How about letting your fingers do the walking?

Here is the Naturalization records indexes on microfilm found for Cook county at www.familysearch.org:

Title Indexes to naturalization records
Authors Illinois. Superior Court (Cook County) (Main Author)

Note Location Film
Naturalization index, A-L 1871-1906 FHL US/CAN Film
Naturalization index, M-Z 1871-1906 FHL US/CAN Film

At www.familysearch.org you can find the nearest Family History Center to you, go there and order this film to find the actual record film, then order that film....

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article