All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Farms names from Årdal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cdahl
Medium member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  18:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am researching more information on my husband's family from Årdal. We have family that will be visiting the area next summer and are interested in visiting the farms from which our ancestors emmigrated. I am looking for the Hovland farm where Gunhild Eriksdtr Hovland (parents are Erik Persson Hovland and Marta Kristoffersdtr Hestetun) was living at the time of her marriage to Erik Sjurson Volldal on 13 Oct 1879. I think Erik could have been living on the Hestetun farm at that time. Is there more than one Hovland farm in the area? Were Erik and Gunhild considered "cotters"? Any information would be appreciated.

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  20:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you find that Gunhild Eriksdatter married Erik Sjurson 13 Oct 1879?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

cdahl
Medium member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  21:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have this as family history. It is also on the Pedigree Chart that I have copied off a database from the Bygdebok for Årdal. Gunhild or Gunhilda was born 14 Dec 1854 at Hovland. Erik Sjurson Volldal was born 31 Aug 1849 at Hestetun. Is this Hovland farm near the Hestetun or Volldal farms? Thanks for any help!
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  23:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found Gunilda, she was born out of wedlock, her mother was Maritha Christophersdatter, Hæstethueie and the father was Erik Pedersen, Hofland, see
#28.

Gunhilde and her parents (now married) and sibling in 1865

The bapt record for Erich Sjursen is #144 his parents listed as Sjur Erichsen, Hestethun and Malene Christoffersdatter, Hestethun.

Erik, his parents and siblings in 1865.

The record for Eriks confirmation says he was born at Volstad, see #17.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 13/08/2010 23:44:32
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  00:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To locate the farms you can use this map.
You will find two Hovland, Årdal Sogn og Fjordane.
Hestetun cannot be found any longer (privat homes in the area) and the same goes for Volldal.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  10:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
Hestetun, strange name, hest-horse, tun means backyard.
Must be a place they kept the horses in the old days.

Picture of Hestetun from 1896 and Hovland from 1982.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/08/2010 19:44:14
Go to Top of Page

cdahl
Medium member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  19:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to all who responded. I appreciate your time and will go forward from here.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  20:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did these people settle in the US? Erik emigrated in 1871, so the couple must have married in America.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  21:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik Pedersen and Marthe Kristophersen, Hovland with the children Gunhilde, Elsi and Peder emigrated in 1867, see #135-139 onboard Claus Heftye, leaving Bergen April 23 and arriving Quebec May 28.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

cdahl
Medium member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  19:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hovland's settled in Brush Creek Township, Faribault Co., Minnesota. When Erik Volldal came in 1871 with his aunt Margrete Hestetun, they went to Wells, Minnesota, and from there someone with an oxen team took them to the Hovland farm. Marthe and Margrete were sisters. Erik later married Gunhild Hovland who was his first cousin. They had 10 children, my husband is a grandson, and the rest is history! Thanks for everyone's input. My husband's cousin is visiting the Årdal area in 2011 and we hope to visit the area either in 2011 or 2012. We thought it would be interesting if we could locate the farm where our ancestors had lived. Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

RogerHammer
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  19:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hilsen,

My father's mother's mother was Sigrid Gutormsdtr. Hovland, born 3/3/1850, in Årdal, perhaps on the Madvik farm. She emigrated to the U.S. and then settled in Elk Point, South Dakota, and later in Valier, Montana. Her name was changed to Hofland in the U.S. Her father was Gutorms Olsson Hovland b. 11/22/1817 d. 3/5/1907. First, does anyone on this forum have a farmbook that they could look up the farm for me?

I have been invited to give a talk at Bygdeforskning at NTNU in Trondheim in March and would very much like to try to visit Årdal and try to find the farm where my great grandmother grew up but don't know if that would be practical.

Second, we know that she married Erik Eriksen but don't know if they were married in Norway or in the U.S. We know that he changed his name to Hofland because there were other Erik Eriksens in Wolf Point. Any help in tracing him would also be greatly appreciated.

In 1980 my Father Anders (Andy) Hammer and three of his sisters, Olga Armstrong, Mildred Platte, and Shirley Elton visited Årdal and were shown a photo of their grandparents taken in South Dakota from the Årdal historical archives.

Sincerely,

Roger Hammer

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  21:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigri was born when her parents were on Hofland, #57.
Her parents written as Gutthorm Olsen, Hofland and Britha Reiersdatter.

Her confirmation record is #3.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/01/2014 21:46:40
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  21:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger --
Your Sigrid's family on the 'Haaland' farm in Årdal in Sogn og Fjordane, Norway 1865 Norwegian census -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1424&kenr=001&bnr=0032&lnr=000

There are other districts also called Årdal in Norway so that had to be verified first.

Her father was a 'husmann' so they may have lived on several different farms.

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

For the time period that Sigrid was born it is possible that the Årdal church records for births/baptisms might be recorded in the parish books for Lærdal, Sogn og Fjordane. If she was still in Norway for her confirmation - those records would be the second-best source to check to verify that birth date/location/parentage.
------------
Yes, Einar found the birth record in the Lærdal parish books and linked it above as I was finishing my response and starting to look at the digitized records online myself.
------------

When did she emigrate from Norway? Did other members of her family emigrate at the same time?

Edited by - Hopkins on 11/01/2014 21:43:41
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  21:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Map of Hovland (=Hofland) in Årdal.
Zoom and pan to your liking.

Picture of Hovland.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/01/2014 22:06:22
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  21:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1865 her parents were at the Haalen farm.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  21:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigrid Hofland (a farmers wife) returned to US after a visit to the home country in 1906.

Her siblings (their mother was Gjertrud Eriksdatter) who also emigrated to US were Ole (1894) and Kari Johanne (1899).

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/01/2014 22:51:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article