All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Missing Emigrant family of Twelve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DSelvey
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  01:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Gulbrandsen and his family are shown in church records as "utflyttar" in 1852. No destination is shown. I can't find them in later records so assume they may have emigrated to America. 1852 seems to be their only record anywhere. His son Anton, born 1849, is my main interest because I have an ancestor Anton, unknown surname, who was about the same age. He was orphaned about 1852-1853 and taken in by a family in Michigan. This all seems coincidental to the SS Atlantic shipwreck on Lake Erie.

Ole Gulbrandsen is shown in this record:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/kb/uf/hending/hu00000000014395

He is serial no.76, and I think his family ends with no.87. They were in Hedal, Sĝr-Aurdal. This seems to be in Valdres where many of the SS Atlantic victims were from. Their names don't appear to match with the list of victims, but this is something I have to know more about. I would appreciate any help anyone may have to offer.

It has been a good experience to become acquainted with the necessary basics of the Norwegian language, and this is my first look at records not written in English. Takk (thanks?)

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  08:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Gulbrandsen Piltringsrud and his wife Berit Jacobsdatter em. from Hedalen in Sĝr-Aurdal with 10 children to America on March 15. 1852. Behind the paranthesis for #76-87 on right page its written) Ame-ri=ka click here
Anton was born June 14. 1849 on farm Piltingsrud, see #8

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 24/12/2013 09:19:22
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  09:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Gulbrandsen Piltingsrud/Dokken changed to Ole G. Daakken in USA link

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 24/12/2013 09:40:34
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  09:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They probably dep. via Christiania /Oslo)
Em. ships 1852

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  09:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But you are looking for an Anton b. ca 1849, unknown lastname.
Anton above probably changed lastname to Daakken or Gilbertson in USA.

What was your Antons lastname in USA? Severe?

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 24/12/2013 11:34:51
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  11:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The marriage record for Ole Gulbrandsen and Beret Syversdatter is #15.

Beret Syversdatter died from childbirth Nov 18 1827, #2.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  11:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Widower Ole Gulbrandsen and Beret Jacobsdatter, Garthus were married Oct 18 1828, #29.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 24/12/2013 11:43:43
Go to Top of Page

DSelvey
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  11:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much Kare, and also Einar. This information seems very relevant to my Anton, but I will have to go further with it to determine. I will soon let you know my progress. Anton's first record in America is the 1860 census with the Severt family of Oceana, Michigan where he is mistakenly shown as German. Year of birth here is 1848. I have further information about him at this site: http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.scan-balt.norway.general/9827/mb.ashx
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  11:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thora (15 years when the emigrated) was born Febr 23 1837, #30.

Berthe (8 years when they emigrated) was born May 2 1844, #71.

Anne Karine (4 years when they emigrated) was born Oct 24 1847, #6.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

DSelvey
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  13:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Anton listed as Antone Gilbertson, with his mother and several of the other children (with Americanized names) in Albany, Green, Wisconsin 1860. Later records also show him in the same area. I was hopeful this would be the right person, but as it is said in the deep south USA "close, but no cigar". I don't know the origin of that, but have heard it a thousand times. Thanks to all of you for your help. I have a tree made for this family and will post it later so that it may help someone else. And I will keep looking for the right Anton.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  13:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI Norway's political association with Denmark ended in 1814. By 1852 Norway was in a "personal union" with Sweden (sharing the same ruler).

Do any of the Sever family descendants have memories of their ancestors taking in a child?
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  13:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Googling Anton b. ca 1836-39 who em. to America ca 1850 I often ends up with Anton/Antone Sever b. Oct. 3. 1846 in Norway who was adopted by a German Sever/Severt family in Mich.
This Anton ended up in New Mexico where he died Feb. 6. 1925, link

If we can exlude him, it is one more person to look after.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 24/12/2013 13:56:17
Go to Top of Page

DSelvey
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  15:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Denmark naturalization record is a mystery. He gave his place of birth as Norway in six censuses, all US Army records (supposed source for naturalization record), and one Grand Army of the Republic record. It is a possibility, but I don't understand why he would say Denmark for only one record, and believe it to be mistaken. His son Fred "Sever", my G-grandfather, later lived among a colony of Norwegians in Alaska.... The German family Severt who raised Anton (later to become Antone) left no mention of when or how they took him into their home- that has to be guessed. A story was written about this after Anton died but it did not originate within his family or his foster family, and has little basis. All leads from his first years in Michigan have been studied and are now exhausted. That area was being newly settled at the time and has very few records... I know everything about his life from 1860 until he died in San Juan, New Mexico in 1925 as Antone Sever. What I don't know is what his real name was, who his parents were, which year for sure he was born, and which year for sure he came to America. He was so young that he may have never known that information, and also had to learn to communicate with a family who spoke German.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  15:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well one thing about the German / Danish thing is that they might not be entirely seperate issues. Holstein Schleswig was an area of contest between Denmark and Germany and the territory was traded back and forth during the 1800s and early 1900s. Sometimes Holstein Schleswig residents in US report their origin as Denmark and sometimes Germany depending on who was having the upper hand in the current conflict or who was in good odor or bad odor throughout the rest of the world. So being considered German or Dane is not mutually exclusive.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  16:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to celebrate Christmas in Norway.

God Jul.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article