All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Anna Olsen and her uncle Andrew C Haugen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2003 :  13:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I am looking for Anna Gulette Olsen. She was born 30.11.1872 in Skjeberg, Norway. She was a widower who travelled across the "big water" in 1909 with a ship called Oslo.

Here is her depature from Norway:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=emikra1&variabel=0&postnr=188580&fulle=true&spraak=n

And here she is with her husband in the census 1900:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f00113&variabel=0&postnr=3643&fulle=true&spraak=n

Add. info:
She could been called Andreassen, and she could aslo say that she came from Borge, Selbak, Fredrikstad ( all places near Skjeberg in Østfold, Norway)

Her Uncle, was Andrew C Haugen which also emigrated some time before 1900, but travelled to US in 1902 with the ship Angelo. I have found him arriving in New York.
He lived in Minnesota.

Here is a link to Andrews depature:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=emikra1&variabel=0&postnr=141444&fulle=true&spraak=n

Here are his family in the Norwegian Census 1900:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f00111&variabel=0&postnr=1131&fulle=true&spraak=n

Does anyone have information about any of them? I am mostly interested with what happened to Anna, but maybe if you have som information about her uncle, then I coud find her?

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2003 :  19:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Additional information:
Anna may have emigrated to her cousin Ole Haugen, which is Andrews son. He is born in 1883

It is said that he was born in Kittson Co., Minnesota, 18.2.1883.,
In 1922 he went back to America, and that he then was living in Duluth

Here is a link to the info at Ellis Island.org:
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passRecord.asp?MID=15557199160076500384&FNM=OLE&LNM=HAUGEN&PLNM=HAUGEN&RF=27&pID=604453080762

Edited by - Borge on 19/08/2003 20:20:27
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2003 :  20:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Just want to point out that the S/S Oslo and the S/S Angelo were not transatlantic liners, but feedership from Norway to England.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2003 :  21:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your answer! I have already seen that the ship most likely went from Christiania to Christiandsand and then over to Hull in England. But I think it is difficult to track the route further on....

But maybe sombody does know about Anna in the US, or can just help me find the correct ship`?

I mean, it is possible that she went ashore in Canada for all I know. I have searched Ellis Island, but I havent found any perfect match. But there are several Anna Olsen who arrives there, but I guess I have to be patient!

Berta
[
quote]Originally posted by Borge

Hi

Just want to point out that the S/S Oslo and the S/S Angelo were not transatlantic liners, but feedership from Norway to England.
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2003 :  23:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Digitalarkivet gives us a clue, as the agent mentioned was Victor Raffel who according to our database of agents was the general agent for the Cunard Line. The Mauretania of that line arrived at new York on 3/11/1909 from Liverpool, but that was probably a bit quick, next ship of the Cunard Line was the Saxonia which arrived at New York 3/18/1909 from Liverpool, the Saxonia also called at Boston.

Edited by - Borge on 20/08/2003 23:07:13
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2003 :  16:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the help!

Maybe this can narrow things down a bit for me!

Where can I search arrivals at Boston?

Berta
quote:
Originally posted by Borge

The Digitalarkivet gives us a clue, as the agent mentioned was Victor Raffel who according to our database of agents was the general agent for the Cunard Line. The Mauretania of that line arrived at new York on 3/11/1909 from Liverpool, but that was probably a bit quick, next ship of the Cunard Line was the Saxonia which arrived at New York 3/18/1909 from Liverpool, the Saxonia also called at Boston.

Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2003 :  17:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder, wasn't The Mauritania the sistership of The Titanic?
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2003 :  17:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the Boston arrivals are online anywhere as a searchable complete database, the best thing is probably to get the microfilm from NARA. The Mauretania was not the sister of the Titanic, but was one of the other famous four stackers. The Mauretania belonging to the Cunard Line, while the Titanic was owned by the White Star Line, the ship considered to be the sister of the Titanic was the Olympic.
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2003 :  13:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok... But do you have any other idea to find her. The Cenus have somone looked in for me, and there ar e to many maybe to narrow her down in any way. But are there other material which I can look in?

And I also wonder what NARA is? Is that a National Archive of some sorts?

Regarding the boats. If she went from Christiania to England in the SS Oslo. Which port would she ariive in? Wouldn\t that be Hull? Is that far from Liverpol?
And how long did the voyage from Chrisitania to England take, and from England to the US?
Did ships first land in Boston, and so in New York?
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2003 :  16:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your questions will be best answered if you read the two articles, "Hunting Passenger Lists and Migration via the Port of Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2003 :  01:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will read them! Thank you for your help.. I just hope that maybe someone other out there maybe know of Anna and her destiny in the Us... !

Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  14:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found some Land Patent Details which I think may concern "my " Ole and Andrew.

Here are the Land Patent Details for Ole A Haugen, 1910:
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch/Detail.asp?Accession=108657&Index=20&QryID=22175.53&DetailTab=1

And here are the Land Patent Details for Andrew C Haugen, 1887:
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch/Detail.asp?Accession=MN0450%5F%5F%2E417&Index=1&QryID=22300.95&DetailTab=1

Does anyone out there, now recognise someone? Maybe this is where Your family is from?

Any help, will make it easier for me!
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  02:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Berta, Minnesota has a searchable death certificate index on line Click Here

You may want to subscribe to the Norway List and post your question there Click Here
There are many helpful people there and some with connections to Minnesota. If you subscribe you will receive all e mails posted by others on the list so you can get up to 60 a day, it is a very active list.
This site will tell you something about mailing lists Click Here

Good Luck Carla
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  17:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carla! I found Ole here:

http://people.mnhs.org/dci/viewcart.cfm?CertificateID=1172280

so he died in 1958. But it isn't really him, I was looking for. It is Anna I wonder what happend to her... But I hoped that I could be lucky and found Anna via Ole..

But I don'r know.. Mayby via the MHS ( Minnesota Historical Socity) I could find something?

I hope I can find her! What I thought, was this: Since Ole is buying land in 1910, maybe he was really buying for Anna?
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2003 :  17:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I doubt that Ole was purchasing the land for Anna, it is more likely that he was getting it for himself. Did Andreas have any other children that would have taken over his land in Kittson county? You might try tracking down Andreas' family left in the US and see if you can locate living relatives. They may have information on Anna. I'm guessing that Anna either went to Kittson or Marshal county where Andreas and Ole lived or had land. Here is a list of Historical societies in Minnesota http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/mho/chsclo.html
Try contacting the Marshal and Kittson county ones. Maybe they will have some information or can help.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2003 :  23:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carla!

I have a problem. I havent been able to narrow her down on Ellis Island. And she could have entered the USA in Boston ( Ole arrives at Boston when he has been in Norwy for some time). Do you know how I can get that information? Without going to the US and pay a lot of money?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article