All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Anna Olsen and her uncle Andrew C Haugen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2003 :  06:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I've looked for her also on the Ellis Island site and haven' found her either. I haven't found the ship Saxonia that Borge mentioned arriving in New York but did find the Campania which left Liverpool March 13 1909 and arrived in New York March 20 1909.
The LDS Family History Center has locations in Norway
Click Here and you can rent the films for the Boston arrivals from them. Hopefully they are a little closer than the US You would probably want to call to see if they have them on site or need to order them.
You would also want to take a list of ships of the Cunard line for 1909 so you know which lists to look at. Click Here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2003 :  19:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again Carla!

I tried email the historical organizations which you recomended. But the email was not correct. So.. I wonder if you maybe have an other emailadress ( I have also emailed the MHS).?

Or maybe someone else?

It is quite hard doing this research from Norway! Of course there are internet resources, but it is really hard to get information without paying a lot of money! :)

Well.. I have to continue and try. I guess!
Go to Top of Page

edwardj
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2003 :  19:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Berta
I am doing research about my ancestors from Norway and I live in the USA (Pennsylvania). I sometime use a site: www.immigrantships.net
I did a quick search about the ships mentioned in many of the replies and had several hits. Hope it helps
Ed Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2003 :  13:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the tip Ed!

It seems that it is quite imposseble to find Anna. Maybe she had a too commen name.. I don't know. But I can't find her anywhere.. Maybe she even changed her name?? Well..
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2003 :  02:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Berta I don't know about the email address. Everyone I find is History@means.net. You could try mailing them, including your email address and ask them to reply to you.

Another thing you could try is emailing the Haugens in Minnesota and see if you can connect with descendants of Ole or Andrew. They might have info on Anna. Infospace
came up with 76 with email addresses and you could try and limit that to ones near Kittson or Marshal county. The Grand Forks and Fargo North Dakota areas would be close also. It is kind of a "blind" search but you never know when you will get information.

I did find a 14 day free trial of genealogy.com if you wanted to try searching the census. I have not tried it but you will have to give them credit card info and then you will have to call to cancel the service before the 14 days are up. They give a phone number for outside the US. I don't know how much it would cost to call from Norway. Click Here

You had said that someone had looked on the census for you. Can they find any Haugens in Kittson and Marshal counties to see if she is living with them or check out the Anna Olson's in those counties?

Just keep posting queries on message boards and maybe you will get lucky. There are always new people out there starting their search for ancestors so the more places you get the information out to, the better your chance is of connecting with the right people.
Good Luck Carla
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2003 :  23:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just bringing this topic to the top again.. Maybe someone out there knows anything about Anna?

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2004 :  16:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now done a search for the 7 others who travelled with the same ship, at the same day as Anna., and said that they were going to New York.
And I can't find them either.. ( at Ellis Island) So.. I find that there are the following questions now:

1. does anybody know that the SS Oslo really came to Hull ?
They were said to depart from Christiania at 06.03.1909.

2. At the same ship, there were several going to Boston, Minnesota, Chicago.. Is New York the port for these people. Or is it possible that Anna took a ship that went to Boston instead?

3. Where is Anna in the 1910 census?
Her full name was Anna Gulette Andreasdatter (or Olsen), she was a widow,( she could also probably say that she was single I guess....) she was born at 30.11.1872 in Skjeberg, Norway.
Her parenst were Grete Kristiansdatter (Kristiansen) and Andreas Pettersen Solli (Sollid)

4. As mentioned before, she had cousins in Minnesota.

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2004 :  21:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again!

Is there anyone, with the access to the 1910-census with all the information I have on Anna, who can find her in the census?

It is only a year ( if even that) after she arrived to the US, so I guess she isn't married.. If anyone, at least could try, and narrow things down a bit, I would be really grateful!
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2004 :  07:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is one Anna Olson in Chicago Illinois, working as a servant, age 36, single, emigrated 1909. That is the closest I have come.
She is working for a Charles Schueller.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2004 :  13:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carla!

hm.. It is only 2 years of her age... soo.. maybe! I could try and look into it.. But .. In the census, does it say when she arrived to Chicago?

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2004 :  21:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Berta The only information it gives is the year of immigration. Not much to go on but hopefully a start.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  01:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Berta Did any other of Anna's family emigrate to the US? If anyone came after her maybe Anna would be listed as the person they were going to see.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  14:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know of any other of Annas family who emigrated at all.. So... Her brother Kristian is listed as an sailor or "sjøman" but I don't know if he emigrated.

Go to Top of Page

Berta
Medium member

150 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2004 :  18:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try .. and I try..

Is there any way I can confirm that the Anna in Chicago is "my" Anna?
I have tried to find people that may help me, but the results are quite bleak....

She has hidden well, Anna.. But this triggers me even more of course...
I just can't believe that it is so difficult to find her..

Berta
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2004 :  03:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Berta It is really hard to trace women in the US . The best I can suggest for Anna and for the Melby's you are trying to trace is to post queries to all of the message boards you can find. Probably one of the largest is Rootsweb which is also connected to Ancestry. Click Here
If you do a search on genealogy message board at Google you should find some more to post to.
You could try joining the Norway-L mailing list which is a great list. Click Here If you click on help in the upper right corner you can find information on how a mailing list works.
Good Luck Carla
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article