All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 towns name
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2004 :  07:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi-Have a question about the town in Norway some of our ancestors might of came from...all i know is it has to do with the fishing industry and is large. My ancestors(Iverson)came from there and i think on the Christiania. Knowing this might help find out more about them. Thanks

Kathie Iverson

kerrie

Australia
45 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2004 :  08:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will have to supply more information for someone to help you. Names of your ancestors and approximate dates of birth will help then someone can check the census in Norway. Do you know when they arrived in America?
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2004 :  08:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The needle in the haystack? Or only the needle?

There aren't many "large" towns in Norway - by any standard. Unless your angle is a small farm in a valley or by the coast.

But there are lots of towns along the coast build up on fishing industry.

But if you give us some names and dates - maybe we can find the ones you are looking for in the cencus' 1801, 1865 or 1900 and thereby find the town you're searching for...

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2004 :  20:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we are looking ar the 1801 cencus if we can-names:Iver Iverson and something like Johnsburg or Johanasburg

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2004 :  23:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not share the names and vital dates of the persons you are looking for? any other clues you are holding secret too... Some of us have a great deal more experience in searching those databases and making them "perform".
Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2004 :  05:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, this is harder than i thought...i have two names besides Iver Iverson..Ira Kimber-born November 14th,1859 and aNicolay M Klingenberg born March17,1873(died 1939).Finding this was great to me, but i would still like to know where someone came from originally. thanks

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2004 :  07:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm. Strange. Iver Ivarson and Nicolai Klingenberg could very well be norwegian names. But Ira Kimber and Johanesburg does not - it sounds more like South Africa to me.

But at FS I find an Ira F Kimber born ca. 1860 who could fit:

Ira F. KIMBER Household
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Information:
Birth Year <1860>
Birthplace MN
Age 20
Occupation Working On Farm At Home
Marital Status S <Single>
Race W <White>
Head of Household William KIMBER
Relation Son
Father's Birthplace NY
Mother's Birthplace NY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Information:
Census Place Hesper, Winneshiek, Iowa

And a Nicolai Klingenberg died in Larvik in 1838:

http://www.rhd.uit.no/skifter/sk_56.html

This could be family. And Larvik is a possible town like the one you are looking for. But there's no Klingenbergs there in 1865. And the Klingenberg family can be traced back to the 16/17th century Trondheim. And that is a 'large' town by norwegian standards - in fact it was the capitol of Norway in the middle ages and also the religious centre of all the northern part of the then known world (Norway, Iceland, Greenland etc.)

Unfortunately there's no Nicolai in the 1875 nor 1900 cencus in Norway. But there is an Iver Iverson in Trondheim in 1801:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f11601&variabel=0&postnr=8521&fulle=true&spraak=n

if yours can be born around 1794, but none in 1865...

At least here's some clues while you're looking up more information ...

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2004 :  08:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks you askeroi-and i am getting to the conclusion they all settled in Iowa :) ---but i will keep your findings on record too and some day maybe see what place my G G G G Granddad came from....ty

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2004 :  17:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1910 US Census
KLINGENBERG NICOLY 37 M W NORW IA WINNESHIEK DECORAH TWP Parents Norwegian immigration year 1892

Nothing pops out in the passenger lists on the Digitalarkivet so he probably traveled using his patronym. Have you gotten copies
of his death certificate, marriage license, naturalization papers? Finding his fathers name would help a lot in locating him in Norway
Carla
Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2004 :  07:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decorah is where they settled-and where my parents were both born..we are seeing about his fathers name now.
I have found out my mothers father came from Stavager,Norway on the Baltic in 1908.

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2004 :  07:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Kathie

Please remember that we who try to help, see loads of questions every day. You can't expect us to remember the name and birth year of your mother's father when he suddenly (re?)appear like this. And it's a waste of our time to make us look it up - again. PLEASE GIVE releavant information simultaniously with asking....

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2004 :  04:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, i wasn't asking you to look up anything-just am gald to have found that out and expressed it.

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2004 :  09:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appologise - to me it looked like you gave a new info about your mother's father and wanted to know more about him. Sorry - english isn't my native language...

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2004 :  08:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WELL, THIS IS ALL I HAVE:IVER IVERSON MARRIED KARI SWENSON(HALVORDSDATTER) IN WISCONSIN IN 1869
KARI'S FATHER WAS HALVORD SWENSON, AND WE SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HALVORDS WIFES NAME WAS AS WELL.

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2004 :  19:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So WHO came over on the Baltic from Stavanger 1908?

Who are Ira Kimber and Nicolay M Klingenberg? How do they relate to the Iverson family?

If Iver Iverson married KARI SWENSON(HALVORDSDATTER) in Wisconsin in 1969 are they the persons you say settled in the Decorah Iowa area? What time period did they live in the Decorah Iowa area? Which censuses do they appear living there?

Someone came from an undetermined fishing area of Norway (Johnsburg?) - left on a ship called the Christiania? WHO? What year?

You are looking at the 1801 Norwegian census - for WHO? you have someone in particular born before 1801 in Norway that you have a name to search for?
What Decorah area, Iowa records have you already searched? Censuses? church records? vital records? obituaries? cemetery lists? The 1925 Iowa State census had an entry for the name (including maiden name) of every persons mother....
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2004 :  19:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
just a note about the "norwegian" town of "Johnsburg..., could it be Tønsberg?

It's quite a large city on the southern coast of Norway (it's the "capital" of Vestfold county), and has a long fishing history. It's also the oldest town in Norway, founded year 871...

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article