All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 towns name
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  09:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I FOUND IT FINALLY-LYSE FJORD,nr.STAVANGER, and CHRISTENING WAS IN ROGALAND,NORWAY ,WHERE JUST ABOUT ALL THE REST WERE AT......THANKS ALL FOR ANY HELP

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  23:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lyse fjord - or more properly Lysefjorden is located in Forsand district of Rogaland, Norway. In previous years the parish church records for that area have been kept with the records of Strand and/or Høle, and also kept under the names Høgsfjord and Fossan. The area's history and genealogy of the various farm families is documented in a published bygdebøker multi-volume set by the title of 'Forsandboka' (nice books with plenty of photographs).

I've briefly checked and can't find any location in the Forsand district which reminds me of Johnsburg, one of the locations you said you were looking for.

The city of Stavanger is also in Rogaland but is west of Forsand.
Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  06:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CAN I PURCAHSE THE SET OF BOOKS?
WE ARE WAITING FOR SOME PAPERS FROM AN AUNT TO MAYBE GET HAVE MORE TO LOOK AT.

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  07:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've given up helping here. For each new posting I'm more confused.

I've tried once, Hopkins have tried twice - but still we're not told who's born where and when. Who are we looking for in Lysefjord?

WHO came over on the Baltic from Stavanger 1908?

Who are Ira Kimber and Nicolay M Klingenberg? How do they relate to the Iverson family?

and so on. Please straighten up.

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  16:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the books through a used book store in Norway. They were published in the 1980's and I think they'd be classified now as "out of print". The US Library of Congress and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City also have copies that I've used.

Exactly WHO is it that you expect to find in Lysefjorden? When were they born? Do you know which of the Lysefjorden farms they lived on? You've said that you found someone in the Lysefjorden area -- in a census? if so, which one? can you provide the URL link for that finding?
I'll check in my books - but ONLY if you will clearly identify WHO!!

Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  16:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I FOUND QUITE A FEW PEOPLE THERE IN LYSEFJORDEN,ROGALAND,NORWAY
FIRST GREAT GRANDFATHER ,IVER IVERSON, CHRISTENED NOV. 24,1844 AND HIS FATHER IVER OLSEN.
FUNNY HOW SOME IF THEM HAD DIFFERNT LAST NAMES. IVER OLSEN'S FATHER WAS OLA/OLE IVARSEN.
SO, I HAVE GOT WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR...THANK YOU.
THAT JOHANSBURG I THINK IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FAMILY-MOTHERS SIDE, SORRY JUST GOT ALIITTLE CONFUSED THERE.

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  22:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any record of the name of the farm or town in the Lysefjorden area where Iver Iverson and his father Iver Olson lived? Or even of the grandfather Ole Ivarson?

Those names are absolutely what we'd expect to see in Norway during that time period. They used the patronymic naming system - you were identified as 'father's' son -- putting the first name of the father in the spot that I surrounded with single quotes.

Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2004 :  05:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOPKINS, I HAVE NAMES-ANOTHER G-GRANDFATHERS NAME IS RASMUS OLSON OF HAAHELLER AND HIS FATHERS IS OLE NILSSON OF EIKESKOG . SO IS HAAHELLER A TOWN THEN? I HAVE NOTHING LIKE THAT FOR IVER THO. SO ,YOU ASKED FOR ANY RECORD- THAT IS ALL I HAVE. I HAVE THE NAMES OF THE G-GRANDFATHERS BACK TO1475.(each time i got the name it had his fathers name so i clicked on it..and so on).

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2004 :  16:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, THAT's some information that I can work with! Håheller (sometimes spelled as Haaheller) and Eikeskog are farm names. I called them possible towns because so many emigrants' descendants were told they were town names, and they sometimes insist that's what they are looking for.

Håheller farm along the steep edge of the Lysefjorden wasn't very large ...
Yes, Rasmus Olson lived on Håheller from about 1713 to 1758. His birthdate is not known definitely but is estimated at about 1686 and he died in 1762. In 1713 he married Ingeborg Ljødesdotter from Lille Nerabø/Øygarden farms (also in Forsand area). This was Ingeborg's second marriage. She had previously been married to Tore Halvarson of Håheller farm.

I believe Eikskog is actually just outside of the Forsand district and near a fjord to the south and southeast of the Lysefjorden called Frafjorden - which I currently believe is/was in the district known as Gjesdal in Rogaland. I haven't yet worked on that area very much.

This is now amusing - Rasmus Olson Håheller and Ingeborg Ljødesdatter are also direct ancestors of my own (6th great-grandparents). They did have about 8 children who survived to adulthood, my tie to them is their daughter, Eli Rasmusdotter who married Kristoffer Ivarson Lyse in 1758.
Now I have learned what I wanted to know too! My curiousity is satisfied. Thank you for giving out those additional names.
Go to Top of Page

iverskat
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2004 :  01:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOW NEAT IS THAT-SO YOU ARE LOOKING UP FAMILY, I THOUGHT YOU DID THIS FOR A PAST TIME. FUN ISN'T IT. GOOD LUCK TO YOU...

Kathie Iverson
Go to Top of Page

von
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2005 :  23:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathie. my grandfather was Ole Iverson Lyse. His father was Iver Olsen Lyse. He was in Wisconsin, but came to Minnesota by wagon train.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2005 :  22:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an Ivar Olson Lyse (b. about 1814) who is known to have emigrated to America. Information published in Forsand, Rogaland, Norway makes a note they think he was known as Iver Lecy after he emigrated. He had quite a number of children... Kristi, Ole, Kristina, Johan, Kristina, etc....
Without some sort of vital life dates to identify your grandfather and great-grandfather I have no hope to find them or to help provide any information about the family.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article