All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Corresponding ships in Hull/Liverpool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2005 :  20:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MS Tasso departed from Kr.sund on 20 July 1876, bound for Hull. There is no Hull connection found, however many ships departed from Liverpool later in July and early August, most of them bound for Philadelphia.
Anyone out there having a clue as to find the right ship for a Norwegian emigrant who went by Tasso via Hull/Liverpool the said day - in order to follow the person through in Philadelphia and possibly track her further in the US?

ekho

Einar Kr. Holtet

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2005 :  21:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start by checking the "emigrantprotokoll" for the name of the agent or shipping company. Then check the database on this site to see the authorization and routes for for that line in 1876.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2005 :  13:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Børge,

Thank you for your pleasant reply!
Siri Anna Ottersen of Bardu traveled by SS Tasso from Trondheim/Ålesund/Kristiansund on 20 July 1876. The vessel was a Wilson line ship (the first of 5 ships with the name owned by the company). It was bound for Hull in England. However, Norwegian records have indicated Inman line in this respect - and indeed, there is a "connection", since a few of the corresponding ships from England to America really belonged to the Inman line. In records showed on this site (Norway-Heritage) I could find NO connection in Hull, but a large number of ships departing from Liverpool, amongst them Inman line ships like SS City of Limerick. Almost all emigrant ships departing from Liverpool were bound for Philadelphia!

How should I proceed to get hold of passenger lists confirming that Siri Anna really departed from Liverpool - aboard which ship, port of arrival in the US and the date of arrival there?

Best wishes from

Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2005 :  16:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To go via Hull (or Newcastle) was the usual route for Norwegian Emigrants traveling with companies which ships departed from Britain. If you read the articles about Hull and the transatlantic voyage on this site, you will learn that they traveled by train from Hull to Liverpool. The S/S City of Limerick looks like a good match, but you will have to check the list to confirm if they were on it.

The passenger lists are all available on microfilm. Microfilms can be ordered from NARA, for a quite reasonable price. They should also be available by Inter Library Loan, or from the LDS family centers. Check this information from the NARA web site:
# Index to Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Philadelphia, PA, 1800--1906. M360. 151 rolls. 16mm. DP.
# Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Philadelphia, PA, 1800--1882. M425. 108 rolls. DP.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2005 :  16:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Børge,
I have identified the roll nos for passenger index and passengers lists respectively and may fill in
the microfilm order to NARA. At the same time I obtained an offer from NARA, Washington DC who can scrutinize lists for a fee. What choice is the most practical and time-saving?

Best from

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2005 :  18:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An easier and probably quicker way is to rent the same microfilms at a local Family History Center, there are several in Norway:

click here

Our new Federal budget is proposing severe budget reductions for NARA and exactly what this will eventually involve is an unknown.

Do not rely on the indexes alone, they are not complete. My ggrandfather was not in the indexes in 1878 but I looked at the passenger lists anyway and found him.
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2005 :  16:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wonder what next?
Meaning when/if "my" names are found on the passenger lkists to America (say, Philadelphia), how to trace the person(s) in question from the port of arrival, via some train connection (ticket purchase) or what?

Best - and a happy 17 May to you all!

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2005 :  18:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are no lists for train travel within the U.S. The City of Limerick was operated by the American Line which was started by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, there is information on this site about it and also much information on the web and a recent book.

Passengers on American Line ships would have completed their travel on trains, sometimes quite tedious with many transfers.

You have to research how this line operated, their rail connections and reconstruct the journey within the U.S. that way.
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2005 :  19:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jo Anne,

could you advise me as to the recent book you mentioned?

Best

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2005 :  20:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew you'd ask. I was able to get a copy from a local library but Amazon.com sells it:

click here

Interesting book but really not much on the immigrant experience and nothing about what they did or where they went after they arrived in Philadelphia.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2005 :  21:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the book and can do a lookup if your specify what you need.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2005 :  18:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Børge!

Connections from Philadelphia by train to Moorhead or other places in MN in 1876. And what about disturbances due to the War of Independence? The Norw. lady (single) traveled with other folks from her village in Bardu - a huge family named Bonæs - all had named Moorhead,MN their destination.

Best

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2005 :  21:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no such information in that book. However, there were railroad connections between Philadelphia and New York, and from there you could reach most places in Minnesota

Børge Solem

Edited by - Borge on 19/05/2005 22:05:54
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2005 :  22:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are referring to the American Civil War, that was from 1861-1865 so it was long over in 1876. While immigration was greatly reduced in that period, the trains were not significantly disrupted.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 19/05/2005 22:33:14
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2005 :  12:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo Anne and Børge!
Thanks for advise. As for my war worries .... forget about it! That was a terrible slip-of-the-pen or smth. Very regrettable.
Now, most likely I will want to make another try in Moorhead, in part with data from NARA and partly based on fresh local info from here about the Bonæs family who went by same ship (Tasso) and with the same destination (Moorhead, MN). I shall never give up!

Best

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  21:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

From the website of the National Maritime Museum, UK - I found a short, but interesting article by Nicholas J. Evans, referring to T. C. Blegen's book "Norwegian Migration to America" (Minnestota, 1940) - plus Howe and Taylor. I have the book by Blegen, titled "Norwegian Migration to America - 1825 - 1860" in which the author envisages to publish a follow-up work covering the period after 1860. Do you know if the follow-up has ever materialized? Under any circumstances, Mr. Blegen's writing is a goldmine for us "Minnesota fans"....

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article