All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Corresponding ships in Hull/Liverpool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  16:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jo Anne Sadler

I knew you'd ask. I was able to get a copy from a local library but Amazon.com sells it:

click here

Interesting book but really not much on the immigrant experience and nothing about what they did or where they went after they arrived in Philadelphia.

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  16:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Philadelphia they spred.... They had "skyldfolk" or relatives or simply happened to know someone somewhere - or they changed plans they might already have. Bur what about the immigrant authorities in Philadelphia - are there no archives left from there..?

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  18:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
National Archives has microfilm rolls of passenger lists of arrivals in Philadelphia . Indexes for a limited time period too.
What the National Archives has on microfilm is usually available worldwide through LDS FHL library network too -
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/phillylists1800.html

Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  04:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Is your Siri Anna the same person as Sigrid Anna Ottersdatter in the 1875 census Click Here If so this may be her in the Cass county marriage records Click Here Severt Olson and Sigred Anna Ottersdater November 5, 1879
Cass County is in North Dakota, across the Red River from Moorehead.
The other emigrants from Bardo settled in Polk county Minnesota.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  12:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla! Wonderful! After all these years..... Now, however, I could not find matching responses by "clicking here" on Cass County's registers. Sigrid Anna traveled in August 1876 and according to your mail she must have married Severt Olson Nov. 5, 1879.
In any case, I will go further and try to find if they had children. How to go about that?

Best
Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  16:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That site doesn't require the whole name, it searches on any part of what you enter.

In the last name field put otter
Leave the first name field blank
Click on Search and they should be listed on the first page.

They are in the 1900 census in Ransom County Click Here select 128-01a.gif line number 44
Their daughter Lettie is married to Paul A Tingstad and they are in Adams County census 1910 Click Here and 1920 Click Here
You may find more info in the Adams county archives Click Here
or Ransom County Archives Click Here
Carla

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  17:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1910 US census for Ransom Co. lists 'Sigridana' as having been married for 21 yrs, the mother of two children (both still surviving). In the household are also listed two sons - Engvold I (born 1865 Norway) and Ole A. (born 1882? North Dakota). Also listed a daughter, Lettie (born 1880 North Dakota). A son-in-law and grandson Tinstad also in the household. Interesting that another grandaughter is also listed - Stella S. Olson (born 1897 North Dakota) but her father is listed as born in Wisconsin and her mother born North Dakota...
(Am I the only person confused? :-))
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  02:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hopkins, I'm pretty sure that this is the second marriage for Severt and Engvold is his son from the first marriage. Siri Anna's 2 children are Ole and Lettie. It is hard to say who Stella's parents are although she is with Paul and Lettie in the 1910 census. Possibly Lettie's child from a previous relationship.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  10:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla and Hopkins! You cannot possibly grasp how great I think your research has been and how happy I am with the
results. This is almost unbelievable. Mind you - about 10 years ago, I was sitting in the Deichmanske Library in Oslo, scrutinizing
micro fiche from the relevant period - films on marriages and deaths in (sic!) Ransom county. Nothing there! Because, now realizing, the names were simply wrong. Should have searched for Olsen. But I know that this is exactly the problem you might encounter when your search is about a lady (single) who went to America in the late 1800s.
I don't know how to thank you!
If it can help explain some of the mysteries regarding names, fact is that Sigrid Anna's sister, Ingeborg Otterson(datter) - and her son Ole Ingvald Johansen traveles by SS Tasso to America in 1900 and their destination was Lisbon, North Dakota!!! May be the Olsens had moved from Cass county to Lisbon by then and were ready to help Ingeborg and the lad to get along in the New World? And that they all happened to end up - so far - in Aadams county?
By the way: Engvold is a rather typical Norwegian SURNAME. And if he was born in Norway in 1865, Severt could perhaps not have been his father.
Have a very nice day. And again: THANK YOU!

Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  14:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Einar, I'm glad it worked out. Ransom county is right next to Cass County so it was probably closer for them to marry in Cass county. I am pretty sure that this is Severt, with 1st wife Anna and son Engvald in the 1880 census Click Here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  09:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla! I think you are a hundred per cent correct. Thinking it over, I find that Engvold isn't the Norwegian surname Engvold, but of course Ingvald (with "I") which is in fact a common first name of boys in Norway. However, what puzzels me now is that Severt is head of household in his first household (first marriage) as late as at 1900 census, whilst we agree that he married Siri Anna on 5 November 1889!!!! What do you think is the technical explanation? Some wrong registering or what?

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, Carla: They married 5 November 1879. But that does not change anything, really - in relation to
the census of 1900 as far as Severt is concerned.

Best
Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse me once again, please! The census in question is of course 1880, but still it should not change anything, since Severt and Siri Anna married in 1879. Correct?
Best
Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  14:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was the 1910 census that listed the marriage at 21 years.... 1910 minus 21 should mean married about 1889.
-- No, I'm wrong. That was the 1900 census. So ignore previous note please.

Edited by - Hopkins on 08/07/2005 14:45:07
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  15:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Hopkins. Census in question is 1900. That makes sence. However, (to Carla): The linked list you sent me on 7. July shows
that Severt was head of (the old) household (previous marriage) as late as 1880. How come, then, that he married with Siri Anne on 5. November the year before?
I wished I had an explanation to this mystery, too....

Best
Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article