All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Corresponding ships in Hull/Liverpool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  17:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such confusion I think the 1880 census has Severt and Siri ANNA using only her second name Anna and Tolleta is Lettie. The ages work out. So no record of Severt's 1st marriage if there was one.
They emigrated in 1876 according to the 1900 census so the only way to know for sure would be to trace them back to Norway. I wonder if they came from the same area as Siri Anna.
There is always another mystery to solve
Carla
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  11:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla,

You are for certain able to find out, by a profound detective way of thinkikng, thins I could never do. Thank you.
Sevcert's first marriage is actually of no further interest - I just wondered about the seemingly puzzling discrepancy.. Now you have found out - that also! I could try and find out if Severt came from Bardo as well as Siri Anna did. I forgot to mention that she was a sister of my great grandfather, Otter Ottersen - in Bardu, Troms. I was born there too.

Best
And a nice weekend to you.

Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2005 :  20:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by einarh

Hi Carla and Hopkins! You cannot possibly grasp how great I think your research has been and how happy I am with the
results. This is almost unbelievable. Mind you - about 10 years ago, I was sitting in the Deichmanske Library in Oslo, scrutinizing
micro fiche from the relevant period - films on marriages and deaths in (sic!) Ransom county. Nothing there! Because, now realizing, the names were simply wrong. Should have searched for Olsen. But I know that this is exactly the problem you might encounter when your search is about a lady (single) who went to America in the late 1800s.
I don't know how to thank you!
If it can help explain some of the mysteries regarding names, fact is that Sigrid Anna's sister, Ingeborg Otterson(datter) - and her son Ole Ingvald Johansen traveles by SS Tasso to America in 1900 and their destination was Lisbon, North Dakota!!!

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2005 :  10:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again!
As you might have guessed, I had made a try to draw attention to the concluding section in a previous message - the one about Ingeborg Otterson(datter) and the boy whose name was Ole Ingvald (Ingvard) Johansen from Bardu in Troms. Despite numerous attempts over years to "find them" - there is no trace. Thing is: Their travel was prepaid from America and their destination was Lisbon. Looking at a Google's map of Ransom county ND I find that Siri Anna's and Severt Olson's first farm was near Oakes, the former Bear Creek county - and this is - interestingly - quite close to Lisbon! There must have been planned something to the effect that Siri Anna's sister and her son(?) would come and settle near Siri Anna's new homestead in Ransom. But HOW to trace Ingeborg? And Ole Ingvald?

Best

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  19:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think i spotted Ole Ingvald Johansen (8 years old as an emigrant from Bardu, Norway ) in May, 1900 onboard SS Tasso to Hull (and from Liverpool further on to America). In 1910 US census he was at a farm belonging to relatives of his, in Northland township, Ransom county, North Dakota). It was probably his cousin, Ole A. Olson (son of Siri Anna Ottersdatter from Bardu) who run the farm with his wife Mary (also from Norway). Ole and his family later settled in Grand Forks City, ND. But the traces of Ole Ingvald after 1910 seem to be "lost". Any clue?

Best

Einar Kr. Holtet

Edited by - einarh on 06/08/2005 19:38:55
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2005 :  21:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole A. Olson - could anyone help, knowing the tack finding ancestors in obituaries or elsewhere? This search has really come to a halt but I hope to get ahead again by assistance to find ancestors of Ole A. olson in the Grand Forks area or Grand Forks city.

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2005 :  23:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a possibility for Ole I in the North Dakota Naturalization records Click Here The Ole Ingvald in McLean county would be the likely one since he would probably be too young in 1905. You can get copies but I'm not sure what info would be on it.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  15:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla

I have consulted with the ND office for naturalization info from McLean county but they did not seem to be able to offer much help. My recent efforts are concentrated on Ole Olsen (son of Severt Olsen in Ransom) and his descendants, plus Ole Ingvald Johnson (Johansen) who traveled to America with Siri Anna's sister Ingeborg in May 1900 onboard MS Tasso from Trondheim via Hull, (she too ...).
Further, I have been awaiting a reply from a public office (genealogy) in Grand Forks as for Ole Olsen's descendants.
By the way: I have established contact with my relatives in Seattle after you put me on track and I found my third cousins living there. They have some more clues, however not as to Ingeborg, Ole Ingvald and even not for Ole Olsen, who of course was the brother of Lettie Olsen Tingstad.

All the best to you

Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2005 :  15:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by einarh

Hi Carla

I have consulted with the ND office for naturalization info from McLean county but they did not seem to be able to offer much help. My recent efforts are concentrated on Ole Olsen (son of Severt Olsen in Ransom) and his descendants, plus Ole Ingvald Johnson (Johansen) who traveled to America with Siri Anna's sister Ingeborg in May 1900 onboard MS Tasso from Trondheim via Hull, (she too ...).
Further, I have been awaiting a reply from a public office (genealogy) in Grand Forks as for Ole Olsen's descendants.
By the way: I have established contact with my relatives in Seattle after you put me on track and I found my third cousins living there. They have some more clues, however not as to Ingeborg, Ole Ingvald and even not for Ole Olsen, who of course was the brother of Lettie Olsen Tingstad.

All the best to you

Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2005 :  15:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla and all the others!

Of course I am overly happy to have received your help to find my people in Seattle! I want to thank you, Carla and Hopkins and all of you who contributed wholeheartedly to spot dem by digging deep in the best of sources.

Your work is highly appreciated by all of us novices who were stuck for years before we finally discovered this wonderful site.
I have recommended Norway Heritage on a number of occasions.

Best from

Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2005 :  12:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brining

I have a possibility for Ole I in the North Dakota Naturalization records Click Here The Ole Ingvald in McLean county would be the likely one since he would probably be too young in 1905. You can get copies but I'm not sure what info would be on it.
Carla

Einar Kr. Holtet

Edited by - einarh on 15/10/2005 12:01:53
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2005 :  12:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla,
On my request the Archives of ND sent me a copy of the naturalization certificate of Ole Ingvald Johnson in McLean county. This was, unfortunately, not the right person, since he came from Nitrtedal - which is impossible in our context. Since then I have not been able to look further for Ole Ingvald.

Best

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2005 :  15:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Einar, Do you know Ole Ingvald Johnson's birth date? There are several Ole Johnsons born in 1892/1891 in the SSDI Click Here.
You could try joining the Norway-L mailing list and posting a query there. Click Here
It has members from all over the US and the world so someone may have access to information that could help.

If Ole is still in Ransom county in 1910, it would seem that his mother would be in the area also. She probably married or she may have died before the census.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  20:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brining!
The Norway-L is a very valuable source, a network of great extension - and great people.
Ole Ingvald isn't found yet, but we are working.

Best Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  16:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brining

Hi Einar, Do you know Ole Ingvald Johnson's birth date? There are several Ole Johnsons born in 1892/1891 in the SSDI Click Here.
You could try joining the Norway-L mailing list and posting a query there. Click Here
It has members from all over the US and the world so someone may have access to information that could help.

If Ole is still in Ransom county in 1910, it would seem that his mother would be in the area also. She probably married or she may have died before the census.
Carla

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article