All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Corresponding ships in Hull/Liverpool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  16:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla!
I have finally discovered that (correct name) Ole Ingvard Johansen was the son of Ingeborg Ottersdatter from Bardu, Troms in Norway and Johannes Olsen from Aremark (Østfold, Norway). Ole Ingvard was born 24 September 1891 and went with his mother by MS Tasso to Hull and further to America in May 1900. Ole Ingvard is found living with Sigrid Anna's family (namely, her son Ole A. Olson) in Northland township, Ransom county ND in 1900 according to census. Experts now say that both he and his mother must have gone further to Canada since there is no trace of them whatsoever in the US. I am now trying to investigate this with the Canadian Genealogy Centre. Carla, the bright one - could you help also? (The genealogy services of Canada are said to be of modest size and detail...)

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2005 :  05:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Einar I haven't found anything on Ole I but there are a couple of databases that might help. If they went to Canada, there is a good possibility that they went for the free land. Click Here for a database of Western Land Grants. This site Click Here can help you find out where the land is located. There are several Ole Johnson's in the Land Grants database but hard to tell if any is yours.
There is also a partial index to the 1911 Canada census Click Here It is only partially done and more names are added all the time. So if they were in Canada for that census, you might find him some day.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Rodrigo460
Expelled

Austria
5 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2005 :  19:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by einarh

Hi Børge,I have identified the roll nos for passenger index and passengers lists respectively and ma

8D Thats the way it is done do you not think so.

#### Links deleted by Forum Admin ####
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2006 :  15:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'v sent you a mail regarding Stella Tormoen and her (supposed to be) parents in Adams county, ND. Did you receive it? The challenge is: I have to try and verify that Stella's mother was REALLY Lettie Tingstad, who lived on her father's farm (Severt Olson) in Adams around 1900. Lettie was then married with Paul A. Tingstad and Stella is mentioned as living on the farm and as grandchild of Severt Olson.
Have you taken up a new job?

Best
Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2006 :  11:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla & Co!
Having meticulously gone through the birth records of Digitalarkivet (Nord Trondelag fylke) I note that there is apparently
no trace to be found of Paul A. Tingstad, born in Norway 1865 and married to Lettie Olson (Tingstad) in Adams county, according to
census of 1900. Problem is: WHERE in Norway was Paul A. Tingstad born - and who were his parents and their descendants in Norway, if any?

Best from
Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2006 :  16:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ONLY the 1900 US census listed Paul A. Tingstad as born in 1865 - the 1910 and the 1920 both listed him as born from 1866-1867.

But it appears he emigrated at about the age of 13 - so probably with an older family member. The emigration protocol for Trondheim lists a Paul Anton Thingstad leaving from that port on or about 28/4/1880 with an older man and what would appear to be a younger sister.
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2006 :  20:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul traveled with his father Johannes Olson from Verdal in Trondelag, Norway. No sister is mentioned, however they left mother, Elen Iversdotter and a brother and a sister (Randine Tingstad) back in Trondheim city, where the family lived at the time. Since then, I hope to spot trhe traces of the brother of Paul Anton and his sister Randine in Norway. I know that Randine was traced as a "fosterdatter" somewhere in the Verdal area (Følke farm) in the then municipal entity Aasen (near Verdal) in Trondelag. Descendants of those "left" in Norway? I'm desperate to know....
Einar

Einar Kr. Holtet

Edited by - einarh on 24/01/2006 20:26:47
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2006 :  04:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You clearly stated that your question was: "WHERE in Norway was Paul A. Tingstad born - and who were his parents and their descendants in Norway, if any?" - this is direct copy/paste from your posting above dated 24/01/2006 time 11:09:46

The information from the Trondheim emigration protocol CLEARLY lists a younger sister named Josephine - look for yourself --
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMITROND&gardpostnr=19145&sokefelt=skjul

Just a few hours later in the message same date but time a few hours later you list the family as if you've always known them and suddenly the questions are entirely different.
I give up!
Go to Top of Page

einarh
Medium member

Norway
77 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2006 :  14:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear P. Hopkins,
I am terribly sorry for having given you trouble. I have been working on different mailing lists on 24 January and this was my last day home before travelling. Back today. There was a breakthrough as to the members of the Thingstad family in Trondelag on the said day and my last inquiry that day was a follow-up. If all practical things on the 24 had permitted me, I would probably had explained facts about the meantime breakthrough. However I thought that inquiries could be considered separately. Things sometimes move fast as you all know... Only today I learned WHERE Paul actually was born 30 June 1866 - in Vanylven municipality in More and Romsdal county. His family moved to Trondheim while Paul and his father Johannes emigrated. Back in Trondheim was Randine Johannesdatter and Iver Olaus, born in 1863 on Lade farm in South Trondelag. There was one more son, Rudolf, born 1869, but he did not figure in the 1875 census - so he could have died or emigrated. Josefine Emilie emigrated with destination Chicago in 1880 - six years old.
It seems that the Thingstad name (with "Th") was from the Tingstad farms (plural) in Levanger a few miles north of Trondheim, but this is to be verified. Johannes Thingstad's wife, Elen Iversdatter was born in neighboring Verdal. It remains to become investigated what was the Thingstad name connection and possible find some descendants - perhaps in Trondheim. Hopkins, I hope you are no longer confused about the Thingstad mysteries.....

Einar Kr. Holtet

Edited by - einarh on 30/01/2006 15:00:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article