All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 looking for Ole Mikal Johannessen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tarabarnes
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  05:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on my husbands paternal lineage and have made it back to Ole Mikal Johannessen . The only record of him I have found is from the 1900 census, but he is not listed in the prior census records . He was born 1851 in Avaldsnes Stavabger and was married to Aasa Baardsdatter (b 1849). They had two sons Johannes ( Jens) Olsen ( b 1889) and Baard Mattias (b 1890) . I know Jens moved to NY in 1906 and married Nathalia ( Nathalie) Pedersen , but Jens died in 1925 and his living daugther was 1 so she does not remember anything about him. Any help would be great. .

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  15:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's show everyone that entry in the 1900 Norwegian census so that we can all share the details given there -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&knr=1147&kenr=004&bnr=0058&lnr=00

The census clearly lists that the family is then living on the 'Nygaard farm' (probably part of larger/older Mæland farm) in Avaldsnes, Rogaland, Norway.
There is an active genealogy group/society in that area and they have been quite busy putting information on the Internet from the published bygdebøker and various other sources. The Meland farm is in the first volume of the books about Avaldsnes and they have put the information for that particular farm online. See County Books link at this website -
http://www.slektsforumkarmoy.no/english/

The Nygård farm is listed as 'user area' number 4 under that listing for the Meland farm. The parentage of both Ole Mikal Johannessen and Åsa Kirstine Bårdsdatter is specified there. They both appear to have had family history on the neighboring farm called Kolstø.

If you've never used a bygdebøk before and you need help translating the very basic words in Norwegian genealogy (born, married, died, children...) you can find a great deal of helpful information on the Internet. I'll include here just one link to a favorite of mine (you can find many many more) -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  06:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Ole in the 1865 census Click Here and Aasa Click Here working on the Haavig farm.
and Aasa's parents Click Here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  22:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a lookup volunteer for Avaldsnes:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/lookups.html#Rogaland

This is interesting, Ole & Aase leaving from Stavanger in 1888:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=STAV&gardpostnr=66309&merk=66309#ovre

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  23:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo Anne --

You are precious! That emigration listing explains the birthplaces for the two sons! The 1900 Norwegian census listed them as born in Montana! I had wondered if it was a spelling problem with an area nearby that I just hadn't heard of YET. (Having many generations of ancestors nearby - but trying to never assume that I know it all). They had their sons in Montana and came back to island of Karmøy. Amazing!
My Norwegian isn't very good -- from that 1900 census "Montana Forenede stater". Wonder what that really means?
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  03:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To tell you the truth, I didn't even notice the Montana birthplace.

Forendes means United
Staten means the national government

I am guilty of assuming that once someone immigrated, they never went back (or back and forth). Maybe he inherited the farm or just didn't like it here.

The Avaldsnes parish records are online and go way back:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 11/06/2006 03:18:56
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  15:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tara should have pretty easy work of it then. The parish records and most of the bygdebøker for the area are available online. Some study in how to use the Norwegian records and she'll have a good family tree for that branch of her husband's family.
Go to Top of Page

tarabarnes
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  16:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW ! Thank you all VERY Much you have given me a ton to move forward with !!! Tara
Go to Top of Page

RandiK
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2006 :  09:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarabarnes

I am working on my husbands paternal lineage and have made it back to Ole Mikal Johannessen . The only record of him I have found is from the 1900 census, but he is not listed in the prior census records . He was born 1851 in Avaldsnes Stavabger and was married to Aasa Baardsdatter (b 1849). They had two sons Johannes ( Jens) Olsen ( b 1889) and Baard Mattias (b 1890) . I know Jens moved to NY in 1906 and married Nathalia ( Nathalie) Pedersen , but Jens died in 1925 and his living daugther was 1 so she does not remember anything about him. Any help would be great. .

I found this on a Norwegian heritage page of Karmøy. Don't know if it's the same person you are looking for, but because it's a small place (I used to live there), and the birthdate is the same, so I would assume this is the man you are looking for.:

Bnr 4. Nygård:

Avaldsnes

1. 1896-1903:
Ole Mikal Johannessen born 1851

Son of Johannes Jansen and Berta Malene Olsdatter
" Kolstø No 14

Married in 1888 to Åsa Kirstine Bårdsdatter born 1848, died 1943

Daughter of Bård Matias Askildsen and Jakobine Hansdatter
" Kolstø bnr 7

Barn:

a)
Johannes born: 1889 Wife Nille Gurine Bertelsen

b) Bård Matias Born: 1890
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article