All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Aandahl/Ondell etc. ancestors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  05:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great-grandmother was Mary Dorothea Ondell (b. 11/5/1855 in Whitewater, Walworth Co., Wisconsin). I am searching for Norwegian ancestors, but have no clues to the origin in Norway.

Mary's father was Peter Ondell (b. 1814 - 1819(?) in Norway). I believe her mother's name may have been Mary/Mari also. Mary Dorothea's brothers were Charles (b. 7/28/1851 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin), Lewis (b. 12/15/1852 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) and Martin (b. 12/9/1857 in Whitewater, Wisconsin).

Mary may have been related to Lena Elizabeth Ondell (b. 2/4/1860 in Whitewater, Wisconsin). Lena Ondell was adopted in 1862 when her parents supposedly died. I have 1990 photos of Mary's children at Lena's home in Wisconsin. Both moved separately from Whitewater to the La Crosse/Trempealeau/Monroe county area in the early 1860's. Also possibly are related to other Ondells/Oudells (John, William, Leo, Harry Alice) from Whitewater or Rock Co. Wisconsin.

There is also a John Andreas Aandahl that was in the same area in Wisconsin at the same period. May have been the John Ondell that was in Whitewater in 1860.

I have extensive information and some 1900 vintage photos of both Ondell families but cannot make any connections.

I would appreciate any information or suggestions.

P.S. - I also have many, many relatives from Ringebu that immigrated to Barronett, Wisconsin including ancestors and descendents.

Richard Schumacher
concretemasonry@yahoo.com

Edited by - Richard Schumacher on 15/08/2008 23:27:48

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  23:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I was wondering if this Peter Ondell could be from the Aandal farm in Fræna, Møre & Romsdal county? Just north-west of the city Molde?

Aandal/Aandahl farms can also be found in Vardal, Oppland, but most people live on the Aandal farms located in Møre & Romsdal county. In census-1865, they are located in the parishes Gryten, Frænen and Thingvold.

And Peder is a well-used named on the Aandal farm in Fræna.., and taken into consideration the high use of naming traditions, Peter Ondell could be named after his father or grandfather, Peder from Aandal farm...

This couple (Peder Knudsen & Berit Pedersdatter) on the Aandal farm in Agerøe, M&R are registered with a lot of children born in the 1800's, but I could not find any "Peder"...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2006 :  02:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is difficult to find family in Norway without knowing Peter's patronomyic name and his parents name. Also Mary's (mother) information.

They immigrated before 1851 which is early and they both missed the 1801 and 1865 census. Did their parents or siblings immigrate?

You may know these:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/

There are 2 Peter Ondells dying in La Crosse, one in 1905 and one in 1901. There is a Peter Ondell married April 18, 1851 in Walworth.

Peter and Mary are in the 1900 La Crosse census, Peter born December 1817, Mary, March 1830. The years are not necessarily correct.

http://www.surnamenavigator.org/

Just found this, you have given much more information:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/localities.scan-balt.norway.general/3093

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 13/06/2006 02:57:27
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2006 :  04:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1860 US census in Leon, Monroe county, WI there is a Peter Ollendorf Click Here The children match the names and ages so most likely your Peter. His wife is listed as Chaster in the transcribed census but on the actual census I think it could be Chasten, although neither sound very Norwegian
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2006 :  21:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the replies. I now have some more information to add to the puzzle. It seems I am just collecting information in the hope that some of the pieces will fit together. I am positive that there are other members of the Ondell family or from the same farm that came from or lived in the Whitewater, Wisconsin area. My other hope is to get onformation on the 2 Ondells that were reportedly born in Milwaukee in 1851 and 1852. I know I have photos of members of this family.

Jo Anne -
I can only speculate on the patronomyic names.
I think the two Peter Ondells dying in LaCrosse in 1901 and 1905 are the same. They were listed as dying on the same date, 4 years apart (typo?). I have the newspaper notices, burial information and death information on the 1905 death. This Peter Ondell had the same street address as the 1900 census that listed his wife (Mary) as having 4 children, three of which were alive. Peter had a long list of wives or marriages - some may have just been housekeepers. The constant has been the children. Peter and children were docmented in a county history book in 1870 (Monroe County, Wisconsin). I have not been able to document the death of any of the wives.

The Mary Ondell that was in a mental hospital for about 20 years seems to have created a barrier getting additional information from other Ondells. I go the information directly from the hospital, complete with approximate entry and release dates. This was before 9/11. After 9/11, the laws have prevented the hospital admitting she was even there, but the U.S. Census verified she was there.

Brining -
Great detective work on finding the existance of Peter Ollendorf!!

My Peter Ondell's location was missing from the 1970 census. Your Peter Ollendorf seems to be a match with my Peter Ondell. The children's names and ages are a perfect match. Peter apparently had different neighbors or they entered the names in a different order in 1870 than in 1880. How the name came about is a mystery. - It almost sound like it is German, but his birth was in Norway. It could be the usual pronunciation/spelling conflicts that ocurred with immigrants from one country counting immigrants from another.

Later this summer, I hope to get to Whitewater county and Milwaukee for some direct research. If I am lucky, I can go to Norway to do some more.

Thanks for the assistance and I will keep digging and trying to put the pieces together.

Dick

Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2006 :  01:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only spouse listed in the WI vital records website for the exact 1851 marriage date was Christie Louisa Mattes which certainly could be a match to Carla's 1860 census name of Chaster.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2006 :  04:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo Anne-

I just received the copy of the marriage license for Peter Ondell and Christie thanks to your lead.

I am an amateur when reading the Norwegian script. I read her name as Christie Mattis and the marriage year as 1857 instead of 1851 by comparing other occurences of the number "1" (the 1 in 185?).

I also agree that she must be the Chasten Ollendorf in the 1860 census because of the similarity and matching ages of the children.

Now I will try to search for alternate last names for her in other sources. The obvious Mattison and Mathison come to mind, but there may be others.

Peter's first wife (if she was not Christie) seems to have dissapeared before 1857.

Peter married again (1869) to Besty Olsen. After that his wife shows up variously as Mary Ondell (1880,1900), but as Betsy Olsen on his death certificate. - Possibly Mary Elizabeth Olsen?

Thanks for the help.

Dick

Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2006 :  16:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am now trying to find information on Christie Louisa Mattis, who married Peter Ondell in 1857 in Whitewater, Walworth County, Wisconsin. According to the 1860 U.S. census, she was born in Norway. Now to search for clues to the immigration (before 1857) and the farm/area in Norway.

The name "Mattis" (or Mattes) does not seem to be a traditional Norwegian name, although I have a Swedish ancestor that was referred to by that name.

I would appreciate some suggestions on alternate names to use in my search.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Dick
Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2006 :  04:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have reason to believe that my Peter Ondell may be Peder Pedersen, b. abt. 1814 in Uldalen, Sel, Oppland.

Peder was married to Mari Knutsdatter (b. 1821 in Prest-Flagastad-Sore, Flagastad, Lesja, Oppland). They married in 1845 at Lesja, Oppland.

Peter Ondell was in Wisconsin in 1850 and his wife was Mary and his first daughter was named Mary Dorothea Ondell, my great-grandmother.

I am looking for any information on Peter (and Mari) between the marriage in 1845 and about 1850-51. Of particular interest would be immigration.

If this is the correct Peter, I am also looking for information on his parents.

I admit this is a bit of a reverse method, but I have so many pieces of information, I would like to find out if Peder Pedersen stayed in Norway so I can eliminate the possiblity or keep him active. After 15 years of searching, I am accumulating so much information from family members, I would like toclean things up.

Thank you for any assistance.

Richard Schumacher
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2006 :  05:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the online church records for Lesja Click Here
Feb 21 1845 Peder Peders. Uldalen is listed in the Innflyttede
(moving in) records for Lesja. he came from Sells Annex and was born Aug 31.1817
His marriage record is there but I didn't find any birth records or find him or Mari in the leaving records.
The site isn't the easiest to search. You need to use% as wild card if you don't know the exact spelling. ie. pe% for all names starting with pe.

Carla
Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2006 :  20:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla -

Thank you for the leads and information.

Based on what you have told be. I can probably elminate this Peder from my list based on the birthdate. One of the few consistant items has been that he claimed his birthdate was December 14. The year seems to be either 1814 or 1817 because of difficulty in reading hand written script from U.S. documents.

I will continue the search!!!

A number of Ondells were in Whitewater and LaGrange in Walworth county, Wisconsin during 1850-70, including Peter Ondell. I suspect that they are related or are from the same area in Norway. I have photos(1910) of some other Ondells and am trying to find some common links to put the family together or at least solve the problem.

Some of those in that area of Wisconsin were Peter Ondell(b. 1814-17 in Norway and lived there in 1850), John Ondell (b. abt 1829 and lived there in1860), John Ondell (b. 1852 in Wisconsin when lived there in 1860 without parents), Samuel Ondell (b. 1833 in Norway and married there in 1858) and a John Andreas Aandahl (b. abt 1824 in Norway). John Andreas Aandahl was married to a Johanna Maria Johannesdatter Lokke and they had a son John Ferdinand (b. 1852 in Norway - coincidence?).

I will keep up the efforts by trying to obtain any information from Ondells/Oudells/Ondalls/Aandahls, etc. family members in the U.S.

Again, thank you for your assistance in this project. I wish it was as easy as my branch from Ringebu with over 500 members (I record all siblings, children, other spouses and "flings")

Dick
Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  04:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla -

Thank you the lead. I have gone over it and also found good information on my Danish ancestor that married Mary Dorothea Ondell. One of the main streets in the town of Rockland (also known as Fish Creek) is Ondell street and the old town hall was known as the Ondell Building.

Again, thank you!!

Dick

Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2006 :  23:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After looking at the original 1900 census U.S. documents, it appeared Peter Ondell arrived in the U.S. in 1838 or possibly 1839. - Legibility/reading problems. I know he was in Wisconsin as early as 1850.

I cannot find anything on the sources on this site that seems to fit or even be close. This was somewhat before the heavy immigration of Norwegians. Are there any suggestions on sources to look at without knowing the farm, parish or area he came from? I assume he may have come through England or some other U.K. port.

Thanks in advance!!

Dick
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2006 :  16:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've looked at the 1900 census listing for Peter Ondell then living with wife Mary in La Crosse, Wis. The page I can see lists no immigration year for him. The man on the line immediately above in the previous household does list an immigration year (difficult to read) but appearing to be about 1835.
Peter, Charlie, Lewis, Martin, Mary, Mary D., Elsie and Anton William Ondell are listed in a name index for the book "History of La Crosse County". Has that book been used as a source of possible information?
A John Ondell b. ca. 1870 in Norway and living in Walworth Co. Wis. in 1920 lists that he was naturalized in 1915. You've previously stated that you think he might be a relative of some sort. Did his naturalization papers tell you WHERE in Norway he was from?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2006 :  04:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins -

You are right about the immigration date. In my 10 years of frustration, I must have started seeing things I wish were there. I even went through the process of saving, enlarging and enhancing the image just to read the wrong line.

I have a copy of the book you referred to and have relied heavily on it for the general information. It is unfortunate I cannot verify most of the reported Ondell birth dates, etc. I also was able to use it to get information on Peter's daughter's (Mary Dorothea Ondell) husband and his family. The Elsie and Alton are children of Lewis/Louis Ondell, son of Peter Ondell and cousins of Mary Dorothea..

I have not looked at naturalization paper of the John Ondell/Andell (b. abt. 1869, imm. 1893, marr. 1907) yet. I have followed him from 1900 when he lived in Walworth Co., in Kenosha Co. in 1910, and in several locations in Walworth Co. in 1920 & 1930. He may be related, but he arrived well after the other Ondells moved out of the immediate area. I will follow through on the naturalization information lead if I can find the information/originals.

A John Ondell/Oudell (b. 1852 in Norway) lived with another family in Whitewater, Walworth Co. is possibly the son of the John Ondell (b. abt 1829? in Norway) that lived in LaGrange, Walworth County in 1860. The younger John Ondell was born the same year in Norway as Johan Ferdinand Petersen Aandahl, the son of John Andreas Aandahl.

A John William Ondell was born in Wisconsin about 1860. He could be the son of John Andreas Aandahl, who had two other sons (both Johans - one b. 1849, d. 1850 and the other b. 1852 in Norway). His wife was Johanna Marie/Mari? Lokke. There is also a John Ondell buried about 1860 in a childrens cemetery in Monroe co.

A number of tragedies happened about 1860 when a Lena Ondell's parents SUPPOSEDLY died. She was adopted in 1862 by someone living near Peter Ondell, who moved from Walworth Co. to Monroe Co. before 1860. This is where the John Ondell was in the Childrens Cemetery in Sparta, Monroe Co. A Mary/Mari? Ondell from the same Monroe Co. area was committed to a state mental hopital in 1862 and released in 1888. Peter Ondell's wife, Christie Louisa Mattes, was on the 1860 census in Monroe Co., but was never noted again. Apparently there was quite a bit of ilness at about that time. The Mary Ondell that was committed was not the same Betsey Mary Ondell that was the wife of Peter Ondell from 1869 until his death.

The photos I have tie Lena Ondell to Mary Dorothea Ondell (Peter Ondell's daughter) and the Ondells that moved to Rock Co., Wisconsin. Those Ondells apparently are the descendants of the two John Ondells (ages 31 and 9) that were in Whitewater in 1860. I know there is a connection, but cannot put the pieces together with any documentation.

I have just found that a witness (Carolne Tollesfson -sp?) at Peter Ondell's wedding in Whitewater on 1857 was a neigbor of the home John Ondell (age 8 ) was staying in (with another family) in 1860.

As others have said for the past 10 years, you are going to have a difficult time.

I will follow your suggestions on the naturalization and will keep trying to find a clue to the farm and links back to Norway. - Thanks again!!!

Dick
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2006 :  05:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The marriage record for Samuel Ondell is listed in the LDS IGI Click Here wife Julia Petersen. In the 1860 census this is most likely him Click Here listed as Samuel Yenson (Jenson?) which would indicate his fathers name was Jens.
Carla
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article