All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Bygdeboks and Norwegian-English Dictionaries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

melbj
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2006 :  05:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, does anyone know if the Vinje og Rauland bygdeboks by Rikard Berge are still in print? If so, where can they be purchased? I have emailed the Vinje community hall (?), but have not heard anything yet.

I know the books are old and of a very archaic dialect, so the second question is, "What is a good Norwegian-English dictionary for older dialects?" I have Einar Haugen's dictionary but it does not help much with these books.

I have borrowed the books from a friend, but would like my own since much of my family is from Vinje and Rauland. Furthermore, Rikard Berge is my grandmother's first cousin so the books contain quite a bit of information on my family.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2006 :  14:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Used books! Some of my favorite things!
Actually there is an interesting website for Scandinavian antique/old books. It lists book stores in Norway/Sweden/Denmark etc that have old/antique/used books available. I think the website was intended for the interchange between book stores - but it can give you telephone/address contact information for the book store(s) which have used books that you want to purchase. The book store that I wanted to contact didn't have a secure Internet based contact , but I was able to telephone them from the information given and order my choices. I felt lucky that particular book store accepted credit card order (not all do). I clicked on the underlined book store name to find the contact information that I needed.
http://www.antikvariat.net/
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2006 :  12:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the best dictionary I have found for reading 19th century records:

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

It is listed on the links section of this site, you may found other links that will help you in your research.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article