All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Barka family, Stavanger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2006 :  18:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeking information about the geneology of the Barka family from Stavanger. My grandfather, Olav Barka (circa 1890-1954) emigrated to Chicago, IL in the early 1920's via Ellis Island. Anybody know any relatives? Tak!

Laurie

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2006 :  19:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellis Island states that Olav Barka's destination was his brother Alfred Barka, 2111 Nebraska Ave, Chicago, Ill.
Nearest relative in Norway was wife Anna Barka, Gate 166, "utsikten", Stavanger

Erling Barka arrived Ellis Island on May 18, 1923, sailing with SS Bergensfjord from Stavanger. His destination was also brother Alfred Barka, 2111 Nebraska Ave, Chicago, Ill.
Nearest relative in Norway was father Aksel Barka, Lerviksveien 34, Stavanger.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2006 :  19:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Digitalarkivet

Emigrantar frå Stavanger 1903-1928

No Year Month Day Given name Last name Sex Position Occupation Birth year Residence Destination Ticket Cause

26192 1654 1923 mai 7 Erling Barka m ug Elektriker 1900 Stavanger Illinois nei Liten arb. fortj.
27333 2894 1923 aug. 9 Olaf Barka m g Elektriker 1893 Stavanger Illinois nei Liten arb. fortj.

Olav
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=Stav1903&gardpostnr=27333&merk=27333#ovre

Erling
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=Stav1903&gardpostnr=26192&merk=26192#ovre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2006 :  19:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna Emilie Barka b.1890
Aksel Barka b. 1918
Bergliot Barka b.1919
Solveig Barka b. 1921
Marton Barka b. 1923

All from "Tjodalfsgaten 48" left Stavanger on 04-JUL-1929. Could it be wife & children of Olav Barka?
Aksel b.1918 could to be named after Olavs father.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 22/08/2006 19:59:46
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2006 :  20:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very close to the port city of Stavanger in Rogaland is a district called Strand - there is an ancient farm(s) there that has been called Barka, Barkve, etc. I've done research in the Strand and Stavanger areas for a long time and many in the area through those years of documents I've looked at have used the name.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&knr=1130&kenr=012&bnr=0007&lnr=00
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2006 :  20:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna and children are the family of Olav, in the 1930 census they are in Chicago, IL and Olav's immigration date is 1923 and Anna and children's is 1929.

Here is the link:

click here

No online passenger lists for 1929 NY that I know of.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 22/08/2006 20:29:35
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2006 :  23:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all. I do know that Anna (my grandmother) and family (Solveig is my mother) are Olav's family. What I am interested in is the geneology. Where did Olav's father Aksel come from? The Hopkins link about the ancient farm 'Barka' near the Strand district seems promising. Again, tusen tak!

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2006 :  23:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall you mentioning that Olav's father was named Aksel before? Do you have more information and dates about other members of the family that you haven't mentioned?

The resources for Strand that I've used in past years are available on microfilm through any LDS Family History Center. The bygdebok for the area is NOT available through those microfilm resources.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  00:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Erling Barka arrives at Ellis Island on May 18, 1923, he states that his closest relative in Norway is "Father: Aksel Barka, Lerviksveien 34, Stavanger."

Erling Barka is going to "Brother: Alfred Barka, 2111 Nebraska Ave, Chicago, Ill.", so they must be brothers of Olav.

They could of course be half-brothers...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  00:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The earlier link to the 1900 census and Bjorn Barka family in Strand led me to search for the same Bjorn in the 1865 census -- he had a brother named Aksel! -- getting an interesting gathering of names in this family group, coincidence?
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1130&kenr=005&bnr=0006&lnr=000
If this were my family to research - I'd start tracking all the extended family members of these 'Barka' farms in Strand and those easily found on the online databases - through the less easy (but more rewarding) parish church records.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  01:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... how can we link these people together?

Axel Asgeitsen, born 10 NOV 1855. Parents: Asgaut Thorsen & Martha Asgautsdatter.
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  01:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that Alfred and Erling are the brothers of Olav. He had at least 1 more brother, Tomas, and at least 2 sisters, Akseliana (sp?) and Berthe. I learned that his father's name was Aksel from jwiborg's post above. I'm not sure I understand the connection to the Asgeitsen family. Thank you all again!

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  01:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason we look at everything is to try to get clues and we do not know what you do and do not know. Sometimes one finds information going through the back door, ie: looking for siblings.

Here is Jan Peter's "Axel" in the 1865 census:

clickhere

Here is the link to the Strand microfilm church records that Hopkins mentioned, it is certainly is something to look up:

click here

The online parish records for Strand do not start until 1904.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 23/08/2006 01:58:39
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  02:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again. So Axel Askaudsen (son of Askaud Thorsen) MAY be Aksel Barka, father of Olav Barka. (Having taken the name of the farm, Barka!) Wow, he would have been 38 years old when Olav was born. Is this possible?

Do you know how I can access parish records for the district? That may indicate who were the children of Axel Askaudsen. You have all been tremendously helpful.

Laurie

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  02:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't think fathering a child at 38 is something exceptional, even 100 years ago. You must be very young to ask that question. My great-great-grandfather in Stjørdal fathered 14 children with two wives over a 40 year period, the last one when he was 64.

You can access the records by clicking on the link I provided in my last posting. You can rent these microfilms at a local Family History Center.

On the free Rootsweb.com Social Security death index there are several listings for Barka's in Illinois including Thomas, Aksel and Erling.

Also on Rootsweb there are quite a few family trees posted by someone named Noffs that has been copied and downloaded many times. It says they Axel, Olav, etc. were born in Stavanger which is probably incorrect, they moved to Stavanger and left from there but most likely they were born in Strand. Are you the Noffs that posted this information then you have Olav's exact date of birth, etc.

Here is Askaud & Marthe in the 1900 census in Stavanger:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal®ister=fornavn&pgj=260&teljing=ft1900&filnamn=f01103.wc2&amt=11&funnenr=341

If you have not printed these out before, Hide Search Field and print in landscape.

Now if someone could find Axel and Olav in the 1900 census, I sure can't.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 23/08/2006 02:37:37
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  15:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, the Rootsweb.com was posted by my husband. i didn't know he had put it online or how to find it. I don't know how he found the information, but thank you for finding it for me. Obviously he was somewhat incorrect. Anyway, I still don't know anything earlier than Olav's father Aksel Barka (who is possibly Axel Askaudsen or Axel Asgeitsen).

When I click the link: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal®ister=fornavn&pgj=260&teljing=ft1900&filnamn=f01103.wc2&amt=11&funnenr=341
I get a blank page. I'm not sure how to search that database, but will try to figure it out.

I think I will try to locate information on Axel Asgeitsen (Askaudsen) and ASGAUT THORSEN (Askaud Thorsen) who apparently was Axel's father.

Thank you for all your help so far. This is tricky with all the name and spelling changes!

Laurie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article