All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Jennie Eng
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dianefranco

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  21:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandmother, Jennie Eng, was born 29 May 1885 in Hernes Elverum, Norway. She married John Borreson in Yankton, South Dakota on 7 Jul 1913. The 1920 Census says she immigrated in 1909. My mother always talked of her going to Canada with a brother Ole before coming to America alone. All documentation I've seen lists her surname as "Eng" though I do have a photo of a relative perhaps that's noted as Pauline "Engen." I am having no luck finding her in the 1910 census in the U.S. or in any of the Norwegian censuses (though I admit to being useless in my Norwegian language skills!). Any suggestiions?

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  23:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
so far a very wild shot, but this Gurine Juliusdatter Sæterengen, who emigrates from Oslo on June 19th, 1909, looks interesting...

She is from Elverum, and is born 29-May-1885 ...
Destination read South Dacota.

Could she be your Jennie Eng???

Sæterengen could very well be abbrevated Eng or Engen.

This must be her on the farm Sætre vestre in census 1900. She is 15 yo, and occupation reads shepherd girl.

If you look at the 1900 census, several people list their usual place of residence as "Hernes"

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

dianefranco

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  01:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my best clue so far! Thank you so much!
Go to Top of Page

dianefranco

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2006 :  20:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that Gurine Juliusdatter Saeterengen is indeed my grandmother. With your initial help, Jan Peter, I was able to find her brother, Ole Severin Gustavsen Saeterengen (b. 1893) on both the 1900 census in Norway, the emigrants list (he emigrated in 1916), and in the records from Ellis Island. She and her brother both went to Wakonda, South Dakota (7 years apart); their "uncle" Julius Lokke (b. Jun 1864, Norway) paid for their passages. My next task is to make the family connection to this Julius.

Is there a death index for Norway? I would like to know when their mother, Valborg Oldsdatter (b. 1852, Elverum) died. Also, it seems they had different fathers. Gurine's father's full name was Julius Johannessen.

Again, thank you so much for helping me to unravel this mystery. It seems I know more about my grandmother than does my uncle still living! ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2006 :  20:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Elverum church records have been microfilmed by LDS and are available for rental at a local Family History Center:

click here

There are also online digitalized parish records at Digitalarkivet for some parishes in Norway. They are doing maintainence on the site until around the first of October so I do not know if Eleverum is included but you should check on it when you can.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2006 :  22:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parish records are excellent resources for the various parish/district areas of Norway. If you've never used them before you can find an excellent article about how to read and use them in this collection -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html

No, there is no nationwide death index for Norway. There is no nationwide death index for the US either.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article