All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Jacobsen Hansen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2006 :  10:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I am new to this site and have recently started to trace my fathers family history. I havent got much because I am unsure of where to start. This is what I have so far:

My gt grandfather was Jacob Hansen and was born in either Karo or Keogi, Norway. Karo is on his wedding certificate and Keogi is on one of his sons birth certificates. He was born in 1871 and died in 1941 in Australia. He migrated at the age of 7 to Australia, which would have been in 1878. His parents were Hans Jacobsen Hansen and his mother was May Hansen (nee Jensen). Hans was a labourer as was Jacob.

That is all we can find out. He apparantly didnt talk about his parents or family, where he was from or his life in general.

If anyone can help me at all I would really appreciate it as all the sites I have found are in Norwegian and I cant read it! If you want to email me, my address is goodsellhaulage@bigpond.com

Thanks
Allison

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2006 :  12:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
there is no place in Norway called Karo or Keogi. Could it be Kragerø?

Here is one Hans Jacobsen in Kragerø in census 1865, with wife Mette Jensdtr. link

The census shows that they have a son Jacob born ab. 1865, and a daughter Anne b. ab. 1863

The same couple (Hans Peter Jacobsen & Mette Marie Jensdatter) are also registered with these childen on http://www.familysearch.org/

Jens b.1870 d.1871
Jensine Berthea & twin Hansine Petrea b.1873

Do you know if your Jacob had any siblings?
The birthyear of Jacob doesn't fit with your info, but chances are that this Jacob died as an infant, and they named their new son after him. Or you have the wrong birthyear of him...

Hans is listed as a sailor, and it was easier and more popular for them to emigrate, than many other people. I could not find him in the 1900-census either.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/10/2006 12:38:14
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2006 :  15:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its all very confusing!!

Going on his death certificate he was 77 when he died in 1941 which makes his birth year 1864, having spent 63 years in Australia. Which makes him 14 when he came out here in 1878.

The confusing part is, on his first sons birth certificate he has his age as 53. His son was born in 1924, which makes his birth year 1871. On this certificate he has listed as birth place as Keogi, Norway.

On his marriage certificate in 1923 he has his birth place as Karo, Norway.

Is there anyway I could trace his parents? Where do I start with something like this??

Thanks
Allison
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2006 :  18:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please read the Posting Guidelines, do not double post.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1035

You now have three separate postings with two of them with replies about the same person. This is very confusing, and causes unnecessary research.

Recommend you go into the Links section on this site and start to educate yourself about Norwegian research. Ancestors From Norway is a great place to start. The article on Norwegian Naming Practices will help you alot. There are many articles on Norway Heritage about voyages and travel to various parts of the world.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 28/10/2006 18:56:13
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2006 :  02:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, didnt realise. You can delete this on eif you like.

Allison
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2006 :  02:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I don't think you should delete this one. This is the one where you have all the info together...

You say in a previous posting that you have a birthyear of Jacob being 1864 also, which makes Jacob Hansen even more likely.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2006 :  02:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just seems a bit too easy if it is him. My parents spent years trying to trace him and I have only spent a couple of months so far. Although, it would be great if it was him. :)
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2006 :  10:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, of course... More leads are needed to connect him to your ancestor.

But there are a lot of open issues here.

1) Do you have a scan of the certificate? Could it read something else? Are you 100% sure it reads Karo and Keogi? If it's hard to transcribe, maybe you could post it here.

2) I find it very unlikely that a 7 yo Norwegian boy would emigrate to Australia by himself. If he was 7, he must have been travelling with some adults. Either his parents, or possibly uncles or something, if his parents was dead.

3) If he was born in 1864, then he would be 14-15, and that would make a big difference. Then he would have done his confirmation (which is done at ab. age 14), and he could have bordered a training ship or something.

4) Is there no clues or tracks of any siblings or parents of him in Australia? I assume you havent located him in any census or something? I read that the first Australian census was conducted in 1911, which is a bit late if you want to find him together with siblings or parents....

5) What was the name of his children? Those names could lead to any siblings or other releatives...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2006 :  05:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Answers to your questions:

1) Do you have a scan of the certificate? Could it read something else? Are you 100% sure it reads Karo and Keogi? If it's hard to transcribe, maybe you could post it here.

Keogi is definately right because it is written with a typewriter. Karo might be Koro with the two dashes on the last o (sorry dont know what they are called )

2) I find it very unlikely that a 7 yo Norwegian boy would emigrate to Australia by himself. If he was 7, he must have been travelling with some adults. Either his parents, or possibly uncles or something, if his parents was dead.

As far as I know, what his son said is he came out with someone called ?? Olsen. Was possibly a family friend. Thats all my grandfather knows. He also told me he didnt talk about Norway or his family, which is strange. Even if he came out at the age of 14 you would think he would miss his family or at least talk about them?

3) If he was born in 1864, then he would be 14-15, and that would make a big difference. Then he would have done his confirmation (which is done at ab. age 14), and he could have bordered a training ship or something.

Am looking inot this now, but not having much luck.

4) Is there no clues or tracks of any siblings or parents of him in Australia? I assume you havent located him in any census or something? I read that the first Australian census was conducted in 1911, which is a bit late if you want to find him together with siblings or parents....

I cant find anything, some records are locked still. He spoke of no siblings or his parents, making it harder.

5) What was the name of his children? Those names could lead to any siblings or other releatives...

Have traced these but there are no mention of any other relatives.

He seems to have been an intensely private person. Maybe he just doesnt ant to be found?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2006 :  08:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
the ö is the same as the ø in Norwegian, and is the old spelling of the norwegian name øy, meaning island.

It can be found in many nowegian place names, e.g. Kragerö (Kragerø)...

But still, I havent heard of any island called Korö, Karö... the is an island called Karmøy, Karmö in old speling.
But Kragerö is still a good match so far..

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2006 :  07:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the hint - will look into it. :)
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  03:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible for the family to name two of their sons the same? Just curious because I have found a Hans Peter Jacobsen, b 5-5-1839 in Kragerø and also one b. 1847. The second one born in 1847 married a Mette Marie Jensdatter of Kragerø in 1872. This means if it is the one from the 1865 census, their children were born out of wedlock. Which is the wrong lead, I think.

The Hans born in 1839, I cant find anything else on at the moment. I am still looking through census, etc.

Also, were all children christened back then? Is it possible for children to be christened when they are older or was it done when they were babies?

Thanks
Allison
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  07:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I recommended previously, read the article on this site, Those Norwegian Names, you really need to educate yourself on Norwegian research, you are asking very basic questions that a little research would answer.

Yes, children were named after their parents parents and if both grandfathers were named Ole, then two children were named Ole.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  16:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And to expand on Jo Anne's example - if a child were given the name Ole and died - the next child of the same sex might very well be named Ole. These things are explained in the many online guides to Norwegian naming practices and patterns.
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  05:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I have read up on the naming practices and now understand why my question was so "basic". :)

I have been trying to trace Hans Peter Jacobsen and his wife Mette. I have found they had five children, including one set of twins and one son who died at the age of one. They are not in any census for 1875, 1900 or any parish registers that I can see. Its like they have disappeared into thin air. I am trying to locate them through any transmigrants info. at the moment.

If anyone has any other information on this family or can help me, I woud greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Allison
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  06:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now found a naturalisation certificate for a Jacob Hansen. It says he came to Ausralia in 1865 though, which is when I have Jacob as being born. There is one other Jacob Hansen who applied for naturalisation that I can find. The date is too late for my Jacob, which is 1901. I cant find anything on Hans Jacobsen and his family is any transmigrant info. I have checked. The naturalisation certificate I have matches everything except date wise.

I also cant find a Jacob Hansen coming into Australia. I know he may have come under another name, as I have found out that a lot of the Governments paid for emigrants to come out here if they were a certain age. He also isnt registered as going through Ellis Island, Canada or any other port that I can find.

On the naturalisation certificate, it says he came from London and arrived here on 12-10-1865. He was 33 and was born in Præsto (?), Denmark. I have since fond out that a lot of people lied about where they were from in order to get passage. He came out on the Glendower.

If anyone can lead me in the right direction I would be grateful. I feel like he just doesnt want to be traced. Makes you wonder what he was running from?

Thanks
Allison
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article