All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Jacobsen Hansen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  19:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't read too much into reasons why you can't find some records. This was pre-technology times and the life of an immigrant was one of struggle in a new land. These old records we search for were not meant to be an information base for future genealogists. Have you put together all your own personal records and information for the convenience of future family history researchers?

There are links on this site for online dictionaries to help in translating old records.
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2006 :  07:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi JoAnne. Yes I have kept diaries and entered all special occassions and they are all nealty stored away in a box, that way I know people wont have my problem when tracing our history! :)

Can someone please help me decipher what this says:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=gigant&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=273&uid=565203&js=j
I am chasing another link after finding the naturalisation certificate for a Jacob Hansen, I found this. I am nsure of the spelling of some words and its making it hard to read.

Can anyone please help me?

ETA - Forgot to add which date. 5/1/1865 is the marriage I am after, cant quite make out names though.

Edited by - Allison on 13/11/2006 07:51:07
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2006 :  16:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am unable to make that link work. Is there a problem with it?
If it is an image at the Digitalarkivet - can you say what area, book and page number, with the number and/or names in the entry we'd be hoping to see?
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  00:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, the link came up error for me as well. Its in the Parish records for Porsgrunn, Telemark. Marriages on 5/1/1865. Page 302? It has a number 3 next to the date.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  01:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To copy the URL from that site is not straight forward... you have to select from the menu on top of the page, and choose Image information: On Top (Bildeinformasjon: Øverst)
That will give you a permanent link you'll have to copy. The first link is for the complete page, the second is just that specific image (.jpg).

The marriage is between mate Hans Jacob Hansen and girl Mariane Jensdtr. He is from Porsgrund, she is born in Gjerpen 24-mar-1838, confirmed in Solum 3-apr-1853. His father Hans Ingebretsen, her father Jens Jensen.

Here they are in census 1865, 1 year after the marriage. (The census was perf. in jan 1866)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/11/2006 01:16:27
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  01:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting isn't it? At the top of that page (yes, 302) you'll see pull-down labelled "Bildeinformasjon:" (image/picture information?) I'm changing the setting from what appears as default on my computer "Ingen" and choosing "Øverst" which I assume means Over or Top because of the action it performs. A new banner display appears across the top of the display. The top line in that banner is very nice source citation: "Telemark fylke, Porsgrunn, Ministerialbok nr. 7 (1858-1877), Ekteviede 1865, side 302. " (side means page) -- I'm not fast but I'm learning, I'm learning.
So let me copy the next line "Permanent sidelenke: " (permanent page link) and test to see if that gives us a working URL to reach the page directly.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1391&idx_id=1391&uid=ny&idx_side=-273
I imagine that the third line gives us a direct URL to the jpg image itself. (Not my favorite file type for scans - but sure better than nothing.) Try that next if the above didn't work.

Plenty of words I don't understand but D.....? Ny...mand? Hans Jakob Hansen og Pige (and unmarried girl) Mariane Jensdtr Norseth?
He is 23 yrs old, she is 26. She was born Gjerpen 24 March38 and confirmed Skien? 3 Apr 53. His father was Hans Ingebritsen and hers was Jens Jensen. After that the names of their two 'witnesses' , the dates of the postings of the banns, dates when each was vaccinated (against Smallpox in case you are curious)

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  01:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm quite sure the first line reads Ungk. Styrmnd Hans Jacob

Ungk = ungkar, ie. bachelor
Styrmnd = styrmand, ie. mate onboard a ship

Jan Peter

Btw; you can change into English menu from the top blue line here

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/11/2006 01:39:42
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  08:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. I thought it was them.

Going back to Hans Jacobsen and his family. I have looked through census records, parish records, records in London, records in Denmark, records in Canada, USA and Australia and I cant trace them at all. Where do I go from here? IF this is the Jacob (son) I am after how do I now tell where he has gone?

According to the familysearch website, Hans Jacobsen and Mette had the twins in 1873 that would mean they left after that as they are not on any other census done in Norway or elsewhere that I have found. If Jacob came to Australia in approx. 1878, thats five years they spent somewhere? I have since found out by someone in Australia that if his parents are on his death certificate it is likely they came out here as well. I cant find any of them on any passenger index or jacob as a sailor/mariner. On his naturalisation papers, if it is indeed him, the ship Glendower is mentioned, but again no information on that other than in was over 1900 ton.

Where do I go from here? I really need to be able to track where they all went after the 1865 census as I need to find out if this is indeed the Jacob I am searching for.

Thanks
Allison
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  10:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what to do next... looks like this guy really did his best not to be found... What prison did he escape from???

You could try to contact the owner of this page, who looks to have a lot of information about Kragerø emigrants, but the page hasn't been maintained for a while. He might have additional info to what's been posted on the site.

Or you could start a new topic on the Debate Forum here.
You do not need to register, but you do need to enter your name and valid email-address. If you do so, please provide as much information as you can, and preferably add a link to already ongoing queries, so people don't waste their time searching for things you already know.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  22:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jan, I will look into the links.

Maybe I should be looking at prison records as well now!! lol
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  23:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have posted a message on the Debate Forum. I also emailed the guy who owns the other website as the site is down at the moment.

Thanks again Jan. :)
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  06:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked out the site but its down at the moment. Am waiting for a reply.

I posted on the Debate Forum and have had a few replies. One about Mette and Jacob, but I cant read all of it, this is it:

10801,29,006,0,Øen No.61.# 10801,29,006,1,06,01,Mette Marie,Jensdatter,,Øen No.61, 1.etg.,,,k,Husmoder,,, ,E,Huus-Bagerske,1842,Skaadø S. Sandøkedal# 10801,29,006,2,06,02,Anne Cathrine,,Hansen,Øen No.61, 1.etg.,,,k,datter,,,,,-- Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1862,Kragerø# 10801,29,006,2,06,03,Jacob,,Hansen,Øen No.61, 1.etg.,,,M,søn,,,,,--,Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1864,Kragerø# 10801,29,006,2,06,04,Maren Kristine ,,Hansen,Øen No.61, 1.etg.,,,k,datter,,,,, -,Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1865,Kragerø# 10801,29,006,2,06,05,Marie Margrethe,,Hansen,Øen No.61, 1.etg.,,,k,datter,,,,, -,Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1868,Kragerø# 10801,29,006,2,06,06,Hansine Petrea,,Hansen,Øen No.61, 1.etg.,,,k,datter,,,,,- ,Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1873,Kragerø# 10801,29,006,4,,Nei,Nei#

Its from the Kragerø census, 1875. I also found that a Jacob Hansen jumped ship in Melbourne on 2 February 1883. He was from Øen, Kragerø. Born 1864, so this may be our guy after all. The ship was the "Byfoged Christie". I cant find anything on this either.

Can someone please help with the ship and desiphering the above?

Thanks
Allison
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  08:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!

Finally, some strong evidence that this is our guy after all! Very good information there from Gunnar Aabøe!

I should add that the Hans Jacobsen I linked to in Kragerø in census 1865, with wife Mette Jensdtr, was the only couple in the Norwegian 1865-census that fitted with your information from your first post. It was more of a luck that they allready had a son named Jacob, since you first said he was born in 1871...

Øen No.61, ground floor
Mette Marie Jensdatter, Housewife, widow, (House)-Baker, b 1842, Skaadø S. Sandøkedal
Anne Cathrine Hansen, daughter, The mother partly supported by the poor relief found, b 1862, Kragerø
Jacob Hansen, son, b 1864, Kragerø
Maren Kristine Hansen, daughter, b 1865, Kragerø
Marie Margrethe Hansen, daughter, b 1868, Kragerø
Hansine Petrea Hansen, daughter, b 1873, Kragerø

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 15/11/2006 08:28:28
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  09:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for that. :)

There's no mention of Jens Hansen who was born in 1870 and died in 1871, or Hansine's twin Jensine? They are both on the familysearch website as children born to Hans and Mette. Also, what does it mean by "partly supported by the relief found"?

I will keep looking, at least I have strong evidence this may be our man. I cant believe we may have found him, even if it was by chance!
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  10:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It should read "poor relief fund"... As a widow without any income it would be very hard for her to support so many small children in those days...

She was probably making some money as a Baker in the local area, but that wasn't enough to keep the household. So she received some money from the local government... poor relief, public assistance, parish pay, parish relief...

Jens died in 1871, and would thus not be in the 1875 census. Jensine is probably named after him, and looks also to have died as an infant.

You could say it was by chance, even though it maybe was a "qualified chance"...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article