All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Jacobsen Hansen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  11:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a "qualified chance" sounds better. Seeming I wasn't the one who actually found them!!

So a BIG BIG thankyou to those who have helped, I wouldnt have got this far without all of your information and guidance. :)
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  04:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help with translating the following:

<258<62<1842<Kragerøe<27<08<1842<23<10<1842<Mette Marie<Jens<K<E<Jens<Thorju
sen<Bærøe<arbejdsmand<Berthe <Larsdatter<Marthe<Christensdatter<Bærøe<kone<K<In
geborg Marie<Thorsdatter<Bærøe<pige<K<Svend<Olsen<Bærøe<gaardmand<M<Lars<Nielse
n<af Byen<M<Herbjørn<Gulliksen<Bærøe<M<Christen<Olsen<Bærøe<??<M<#

KK6DOPTE.TXF 9/40 48.5 kb
6,35,12,1840,Kragerøe,23,1,1840,31,5,1840,Hans
Petter,m,e,j,Jacob,Poulsen,Øen,
Arbeidsmand,Kirsten Margrethe,Johnsdatter,jomfrue,Karen,Jensdatter,Lars
Johnsens kone,k,Maren
Hansdatter,pige,k,Hans,Larsen,m,Knud,Johnsen,m,Hendrich,
?edersen,ungk.,m#

1865-telling for 0801 Kragerø
Listenr. Side Gardnr Bydel Kjøpstad Gardseigar Merknad1 (gard) Tal på garden
209 208 430 202c 4 Rode Kragerø Hans P Jacobsen Underskrift: A. Nielsen 4
Personnr. Nytt hushald Førenamn Etternamn Fam. stilling Yrke Sivilstand
Alder Kjønn Fødestad
1276 1 1 Hans P. Jacobs. Husfader Sømand g 26 m Kragerø
1277 2 Mette M. Jensd. Kone g 23 k Børø
1278 3 Jacob Hans. Søn ug 1 m Kragerø
1279 4 Anne C. Hans. Datter ug 3 k Kragerø

1875KRAG.TXF 3/3 258.9 kb
10801,29,006,0,Øen No.61.#
10801,29,006,1,06,01,Mette Marie,Jensdatter,,Øen No.61,
1.etg.,,,k,Husmoder,,,
,E,Huus-Bagerske,1842,Skaadø S. Sandøkedal#
10801,29,006,2,06,02,Anne Cathrine,,Hansen,Øen No.61,
1.etg.,,,k,datter,,,,,--
Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1862,Kragerø#
10801,29,006,2,06,03,Jacob,,Hansen,Øen No.61, 1.etg.,,,M,søn,,,,,--,Moderen
%delvis understøttelse%,1864,Kragerø#
10801,29,006,2,06,04,Maren Kristine ,,Hansen,Øen No.61,
1.etg.,,,k,datter,,,,,
-,Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1865,Kragerø#
10801,29,006,2,06,05,Marie Margrethe,,Hansen,Øen No.61,
1.etg.,,,k,datter,,,,,
-,Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1868,Kragerø#
10801,29,006,2,06,06,Hansine Petrea,,Hansen,Øen No.61,
1.etg.,,,k,datter,,,,,-
,Moderen %delvis understøttelse%,1873,Kragerø#

When you cant read Norwegian and have to look up each word, it makes it very time consuming! I can make out dates etc, but dont know what some of them mean because they arent in my dictionary.

Thanks again
Allison
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  13:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok ignore the above post.

I still cant find anything on the ship he came to Australia on. I did find though, that A. Terkelsen owned another ship called the "Hera"? I am trying to find this now, but if anyone has any extra information that would be great.

Thanks
Allison
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  13:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the info from a New Zealand website:

Ship "Hera"
AJHR 1871 Section G6 page 14
Return of Wrecks

Date of Casualty : 11 Mar 1870
Name of Master : A. TERKELSEN
Age of Vessel : 3 years (Norwegian)
Rig : Barque
Register Tonnage : 440
Number of Crew : 12
Number of Passengers :
Nature of Cargo : Wool, &c.
Nature of Casualty : Burned
Number of Lives Lost :
Place of Accident : Port Underwood
Wind Direction :
Wind Force :

Finding of Court of Inquiry
Master exonerated.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  14:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does A. Terkelsen or the sailing 'barque' Hera have to do with Hans Jacobsen Hansen? What link are you trying to establish?
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2006 :  22:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find out more about A. Terkelsen and what ships he owned as it may lead me to the ship that Jacob come to Australia on. We cant find any information other than what has been given in this thread. It seems the "Byfoegd Christie" stopped in Australia, I dont know what for because I cant find any passenger lists on it, Jacob jumped ship and the boat kept going. I have specific dates from Gunnar of when Jacob left the ship so there must be a ships log or some other register of the boat. I cant find anything on it at all.

I was hoping any link to A. Terkelsen and his shipping line/fleet may lead us to the Chrisitie.
Go to Top of Page

GunnarAa
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2006 :  00:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Allison, I have tried to send you this earlyer by email, but got no responce, so might be something went wrong:

Here is the updated information (with a lot of kind help from many people here in Norway):

Ole E. Yttri, Hole, has written an article about this family (he is a user og the Digitalarkivet). The article is publiched in Hringariki # 1 2005 (50 pages).
Corrections and additional info is published in Hringariki # 2 2006. There will be published futher information in Hole Bygdebok when it is lanched probably 13 dec 2006.

Pål (Paul) Pedersen Putten (a famous person who fight in the battle of Norderhov church the night 29 mars 1716) married to Augun Pedersdatter.
Son (next oldest):
Peder Paulsen born 1716 died 1753 married to Ingeborg Knutsdatter (probably from Svarverud in Åsa). The family lived on different places in Norderhov, Ringerike. One of these places was Ørenbakken.
Son: (Nr. 4 and the youngest one)
Paul (Paavel) Pedersen married 6 aug.1775 in Lunner Church on Sokna, Norway, Maria Jacobsdatter.
Son:
Jacob Poulsen (Paulsen) baptized 19/11-1791, Norderhov, Ringerike, Norway.
It is probably the same person as (It is not 100% verified yet, but he is the only one with that name in the 1801 census for the area):
Jacob Poulsen born on Ringeriget, (a worker/storekeeper), lived in Kragerø 16 june 1821, lived 31 may 1840 on Øen (Øya), Kragerø, Norway
married in Kragerø 16 june 1821 to:
Kirsten Margrethe Johnsdatter, baptized in Kragerø 22 mar. 1796 (25 years old when married), lived on Øen, Kragerø 16 june 1821, lived 31 may 1840 on Øen (Øya), Kragerø, Norway, lived 1875 on Øen, Kragerø, Norway.

Children:

John Jacobsen, born 8 aug. 1821 on Øen, Kragerø, Norway, baptized 16 sep. 1821, in Kragerø, Norway.

Marie Kathrine Jacobsen, born 2 nov. 1823 on Øen, Kragerø, Norway, baptized 25 dec. 1823 in Kragerø, Norway.

Karen Marie Jacobsen, born 8 aug. 1826 on Øen, Kragerø, Norway, baptized 24 sep. 1826 in Kragerø, Norway.

Poul Jacobsen, born 11 apr. 1829 in Kragerø, Norway, baptized 7 jun. 1829 in Kragerø, Norway.

Karen Helene Jacobsen, born ? (not stated in the church book), baptized 25 dec. 1831 in Kragerø, Norway.

Petrea Jacobsen, born 17 jul. 1834 on Øen, Kragerø, Norway, baptized 9 nov 1834 in Kragerø, Norway.

Peder Jacobsen, born 1837 in Kragerø, Norway

Hans Petter Jacobsen, born on Øen (Øya), Kragerø, Norway, 23 jan 1840 and baptized in Kragerø, Norway, 31 may 1840
By occupation he was a sailor. Jumped ship in Quebec 28 may 1871.
married to:
Mette Marie Jensdatter, born on Bærø, Skaatø, Kragerø, Norway, 27 aug.1842 and baptized 23 oct 1842.
Her parents:
Jens Thorjusen, (a worker (arbeidsmand)) lived on Bærø, Skaatø, Kragerø, Norway, 23 oct 1842.
married to:
Berthe Larsdatter, lived on Bærø, Skaatø, Kragerø, Norway, 23 oct 1842.

Children of Hans Petter Jacobsen and Mette Marie Jensdatter:

Anne Cathrine Hansen, born 1862 in Kragerø, Norway. Lived in Kragerø in 1865. Lived on Øen, Kragerø in 1875.
She married in Kragerø, 11 feb. 1886, Anders Gustav Snarberg, born 20 may 1858 in Sillerud, Værmland, Sweden. Son of Johannes Snarberg.
We find the family in the 1900 Census for Aker on the farm Lilloe.
Children:
Jens Andersen born 1888 in Bærum
Harald Andersen born 1886 in Bærum
Rikard Andersen born 1890 in Bærum
Emilie Andersdatter born 1892
Agnes Andersdatter born 1894
Hans Andersen born 1896
Anna Andersdatter born 28 mai 1899

Jacob Hansen born 16 oct. 1864 (annotasjonsrull) (according to census for Kragerø, one year in 1865). Lived in Kragerø in 1865. Lived on Øen, Kragerø in 1875. He jumped ship from the Norwegian ship "Byfoegd Christie" in Melbourne 2 feb. 1883.

Maren Kristine Hansen, born 1865 in Kragerø. Lived on Øen, Kragerø in 1875.

Marie Margrethe Hansen , born 24 may 1868 on Øen, Kragerø, baptized 19 jul. 1868 in Kragerø. Lived on Øen, Kragerø in 1875.

Hansine Petrea Hansen (name used/written in census 1875, probably the correct name version), born 1873 in Kragerø. Lived on Øen, Kragerø in 1875.
From Kragerø Churchbook:
Jensine Berthea Hansen, born 26 sep. 1873 on Øen, Kragerø, baptized 16 nov 1873 in Kragerø.
Its written in the churchbook that her father is born in 1840 and her mother in 1842, and that they married in 1861.
(I find a girl 16 years old named Hansine Hansen who left Kragerø to New York on the ship Hekla. Could this be her ? )

The ship "Byfoged Christie" was probably a cargo ship, and no immigration ship. You will probably not find passanger list for this boat.

As far as I can see, people thet emigrated to Australia went by boats from England or Germany. It is from these wessels you will find these passenger lists.

The possible "key" to be shure is to get Jacob Hansen's immigration papers and see if the ship name is stated there. have you seen these papers ?

Regards, Gunnar.
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2006 :  00:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gunnar. I have just sent you an email :)

I am searching for immigration papers or naturalisation papers at them moment. It seems it wasnt a requirement back then for them to become naturalised.

If the Christie was a cargo vessel, wouldnt there be crew lists or other registers somehwere? I realise that alot of the information may not be around these days, but its worth a try still.
Go to Top of Page

GunnarAa
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2006 :  01:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have seen another "Memorial for letters of naturalization" as this document is called, for another sailor from Kragerø, that jumped ship in Melbourne in 1869 (1870 is stated in the document)
The document is filled in 1897 so it's a long time since he jumped ship.
Not all information was correct. The ship name was Ano, but I found that the correct one should be Ino.
Might be they needed this document to get a marrige certificate ?
Some one else here who knows ?
This was my first time to solve such a problem and it was a difficult one.
The sailor had changed his first and last name complitely and it was by his sister and brother name, and old family pictures we were able to solve this. Ask your family members if they have old pictures. Old pictures was normaly taken good care of. Often you will find the name and address of the photographer on the photo.
In our "annotasjonsruller" a kind of cv for the sailors we can find hundreds of sailors jumping ships, but in Australia it not so many probaly around 10.

About Ole E. Yttri, all this is in norwegian. I do not have his email, but you can reach him on the Digitalarkivet. This is defently the best place to ask questions like yours. We hope som day to be able to place our "annotasjonsruller" from Kragerø on the Digitalarkivet.

Gunnar.
Go to Top of Page

GunnarAa
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2006 :  01:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allison

If the Christie was a cargo vessel, wouldnt there be crew lists or other registers somehwere? I realise that alot of the information may not be around these days, but its worth a try still.

No I don't think there is other information. But I can't see why you need more information.

We do know that one Jacob Hansen born in 1864 in Kragerø was one of the crew on "Byfoged Christie" and that he jumped ship in Melbourne in 1883.

He is the only one with that name from Kragerø that jumped ship in Melbourne.

Gunnar.
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2006 :  02:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks Gunnar.

I will look into the "Memorial for letters of naturalization" and see what I can find. Sounds like he would have needed it when he married.

The family have no pictures of him at all. I have asked everyone. I am trying to track down a book which I have fund was written about him over here. He became a fisherman in Victoria before and after marriage.

Thanks
Allison
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2006 :  04:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

I have been in touch with the National Archives here in Australia and there are Letters of Naturalisation, but they have not been digitaslised as yet. This should be done withing the next year or so. I cant access originals as the files are all closed at the moment.

I am now going to go through all my research and see if I can find any other leads.

I also cant find the book that was written either.

Seem to have hit a brickwall now!
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2006 :  12:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant believe it!! I found Jacobs naturalisation papers. I decided to have a quick look again last night and found a Jacob hansen with a digital copy of the records online. I had a look and everything matches, except when he came to Austalia.

I need help figuring out what it says though. This is the link, click on review digital copy.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=1595124

I cant make out the ship or where it says he was married.

Also, if all the dates add up as well as where he was born, what happens to the information Gunnar gave me about a Jacob Hansen jumping ship?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2006 :  03:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I have made out the info I needed. He came to Australia on the "By Chrisitie" which is close to the info Gunnar gave me of him jumping ship from the "Byfoged Christie". He left Glasgow, Scotland and arrived in Australia c. 1880.

Go to Top of Page

GunnarAa
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2006 :  11:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allison

I need help figuring out what it says though. This is the link, click on review digital copy.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=1595124

Hello, Allison,

I don't know whats wrong here, but the person I find in this link is not Jacob Hansen from Kragerø, Norway, but one Hans Hansen from Denmark.

Gunnar.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article