All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Jacobsen Hansen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

GunnarAa
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2006 :  12:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allison

Ok, I have made out the info I needed. He came to Australia on the "By Chrisitie" which is close to the info Gunnar gave me of him jumping ship from the "Byfoged Christie". He left Glasgow, Scotland and arrived in Australia c. 1880.

Hello, Allison,

You probably posted a wrong link. I receieved your email with the correct link, and this shows what a great sourch these "Memorial for letters of naturalization" is.
We now know for sure that we are talking about the same Jacob Hansen. What a great Christmas gift ! :-)

Gunnar.

Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  02:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having trouble reading Jens Hansen's birth record. With help from a dictioanry I have made out some of it, but cant get it all.

Heres the link:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=medium&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=162&uid=442746&js=j

Under the heading for god parents it says something about his death? Can anyone help me decipher it?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  15:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That URL does not work.
You can capture a working URL that you can copy and paste here - allowing those of interested to find the same page with ease.
At the top of the window when you are looking at the page you wish to capture - you'll see a pull-down option box labelled either "Image Information"[English version] or "Bildeinformasjon" [Norwegian version] - change that default setting to either 'On top' or 'On bottom' [English version] and then you can copy the Permanent pagelink line and paste it in a message like this (example only).
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1106&idx_id=1106&uid=ny&idx_side=-32
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  19:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
is this the record you're trying to link to?

#20, Jens. born 28-Dec-1870
parents: Matros Hans Peter Jacobsen, 31 Aar og Methe Marie Jensdatter, married 1862 - Kragerö.
Barnet döde för Daaben Bekreftet i kirken.
English: The child died before the christening was confirmed in the church.

matros: able seaman

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  00:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jan. Thats it. On his death register it says he wasnt baptised and there is no cause of death? Another mystery.

Will chek back here when I need to capture a page, thankyou. :)
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  18:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With regards to the cause of death for Jens; the infant mortality in Norway as in other countries, was quite high in those days, so I wouldn't go as far as call it a "mystery".

We still have "cot death", but in those days a lot of other children's diseases also had fatal issue.

Undernourishment, malnutrition, should also be considered, but this is most likely not the case with Jens, since he died so early.

An interesting remark:
In Norway today, the infant mortality rate is 4 out of 1000 births.
In a country as Sierra Leone in Africa, the infant mortality rate is 283 out of 1000 births(!).

I don't think the rate was in the same figures in Norway 150 years ago, but almost every family was affected by this, one way or another.

By the way; I'm still quite amazed that it turned out to be this Jacob Hansen who was found in the first reply in this topic you were looking for, and that Karo/Keogi was Kragerř!
What a christmas gift!

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Allison

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  06:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know! I must give all the credit to Gunnar though. He found him. That man is a genius! Still not 100% its him, have to try and link him into the family still. Just for peice of mind.

Dont really know where tog o from here. I have most of the records from the Digitalarkivet now so I guess I move onto other family branches after trying to find out a bit more about Hans and Mette as well as why Jacob left.

No doubt I will have more queries for everyone!! :p
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article