All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Haugedalen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  19:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Wanda; you've been searching for the ship that Greger and Kirsten Marie went on... and here it is!

Emigration on 12-may-1892:
Ole Gregersen (30), married farmer, residence: America, destination: Amherst Wisconsin
Karen Gregersen (27), married, residence: America
Marie Gregersen (4), residence: America
Greger Gregersen (2), residence: America

Kirsti Halvorsen (57), married, residence Risør, destination: Amherst, Wisconsin
Kirsten Marie has also paid the ticket for the following person:
Karen Knuds. (27), residence Risør, destination Amherst Wisconsin
Is she Gregers & Kirsten Marie's daughter born ca 1864?

Ole Gregersen are Gregers & Kirsten Marie's son, and he must have emigrated before 1892. Because his residence says America already. But at some time he came back to Søndeled/Risør with his wife Karen and two children, "picked up" his mother Kirsti (Kirsten Marie), and went back to Amherst, Wisconsin again.

Kirssen Halvorson (57) arrives on Ellis Island on May 30, 1892 with the ship "Norge", sailing from Copenhagen.
Listed together with her are:
Gregersen, Ole (30)
Gregersen, Karen (27)
Gregersen, Marie (4)
Greger, Greger (2)
Knudson, Karen (27)

The ship "Norge" went from Christiania (Oslo), to Christiansand and then to Copenhagen, Denmark, before crossing the Atlantic.
Ole Gregeren and Kirsten Marie are also registered in the Christiansand database, which is closer to their hometown Risør/Søndeled than Christiania/Oslo. Maybe they boarded the ship in Christiansand.

Kirsten Marie Halvorsdatter is listed as a widow in the Christiansand database, so I would guess "Gregor Olson" never made it to the US...?
Also, the family history book from Søndeled (volume V p. 510-512) list Gregers Olsen Haukedal as living from ca. 1829-1889. I guess the author of the Søndeled family history book could have found his death in the local churchbook...

Jan Peter

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  20:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,

I've been so busy, that I hadn't checked back in awhile. Thanks for the info on the ship that Kirsten and family sailed on. You are right that Gregor died in Norway. He is buried at Tromøy cemetery in Arendal. www.disnorge.no/gravminner/vis.php?mode=ko&id=09

As for Kirsten, who sometimes went by Olsen/Olson or Gregersen and sometimes Halvorsdatter, she is buried at North New Hope Lutheran Cemetery in Amherst Jct., Portage County, WI. So is her son Ole Gregerson and his family. Halvor Berentsen, Kirsten's father, is buried in Alban Cemetery, near Rosholt, WI. He has one of the largest tombstones in the cemetery. I believe that some of his children are also buried there.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  20:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halvor Berentson's son Ole Halvorson and his family are also buried at the Alban Lutheran Cemetery near Rosholt, WI. Greger and Kirsten's daughter Anne, who married Even Knutson, along with many of their children, are also buried at this cemetery. http://www.rootsweb.com/~wiportag/cemetery/

The information that I have on Karen, daughter of Greger and Kirsten Olsen is that she married Herman Johnson (Hermanson). Their children were Anna, George, Cora, Florence, Gilmer, Henry and Carl. The 1900 US Census, has Herman, Karen, Anna, George, Carl, Henry and Cora, living in New Hope Township, Portage County, WI. In 1910, I found them living in Kanabec County, Minnesota, according to the US Census. At that time, they have a grandson living with them. It's hard to make out, but I believe his name is Camper.

I hope this helps in some way.

I have a picture of Halvine Isaacson, Karen's younger sister, my great-grandmother.

I have walked both the North New Hope and Alban cemeteries and have found many relatives in both. Ole and Karen Gregerson have a large tombstone at the North New Hope cemetery. It almost looks like it's new, but they died in 1943 and 1939, respectively.

It's nice to know that there are other decendents of Gregor and Kirsten Olson doing family research. I also have Kirsten Maria Olson's death certificate from the state of Wisconsin and she died April 3, 1901, of heart disease. Her address was New Hope Township, where she resided with her son Ole and family.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  23:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,
I've been going over some of the information you gave us. You had said, "Kirsten Marie Halvorsdatter is listed as a widow in the Christiansand database, so I would guess "Gregor Olson" never made it to the US...? Also, the family history book from Søndeled (volume V p. 510-512) list Gregers Olsen Haukedal as living from ca. 1829-1889. I guess the author of the Søndeled family history book could have found his death in the local churchbook..."
Did the family history book happen to say if Gregers Olsen Haukedal was a teacher and what he taught? On his tombstome it says "lærer" and I thought that meant "teacher". I was just curious.
Thanks, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  00:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
yes, Gregers was a teacher according to the death register. I don't know what kind of teacher he was, but what comes naturally to mind is a teacher at the local elementary school, Søndeled gamle skole.
I've not read the family history book from Søndeled, but I saw that there was made some references to a Gregers Olsen from Søndeled d. about 1889 in another Genealogy forum in Norwegian...

He died 25-nov-1889 from volvulus. Only listed as gårdbruger (farmer), gift (married) Gregers Olsen Haukedal.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 06/02/2007 00:16:38
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  05:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,
Thank you for that information. I found a few Søndeled historical books at the University near where I live while searching on-line. I'm going to read through them and see what I can find about Gregers Olsen. Of course, they are in Norwegian, so I may be old and gray by the time I translate them. Even so, I can't wait to read them. I find it very interesting that he was a teacher. Most of his family went on to be farmers, carpenters and other labor intensive type jobs. I wonder what the difference would have made if they knew that they had a teacher in the family?

Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article