All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for info on Anna Martha Johnson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

libertygirl2007
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2007 :  22:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know if this site will help or if you guys do this kind of stuff. My G+g+grandmother was Anna Martha Johnson Svenson. She was born on July 13, 1860 In Ojgord Koppervik Norway. I think her parents may have been Margaret and John Johnson. She should have been traveling with her daughter, Amelia Selena. I cannot seem to find her in the emmigration records. I know she came to the U.S. because she married my great great grandfather in 1889. The daughter was born in norway in 1882. Her first husband possibly Benjamin? Johnson supposedly died at sea on a fishing vessel. ANY information would be MOST helpful. Thanks.
Erica

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2007 :  22:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site will of course help you a lot...

Here is Anna Martha in census-1865.
County: Rogaland
Parish: Avaldsnæs
Sub-parish: Kobbervig
Farm: Midt-Eide

Here parents are Johannes Johannesen & Magrethe Siverthsdatter

Her christening record from 29-JUL-1860.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2007 :  23:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Born 12-Nov-1882, christened 03-Dec-1882, Severine Amalie.
Parents: Bachelor, Skipper Sven Svensen Veaa, Skudesnæs, born 1856 & girl Anne Martha Johannesdatter, Midteide, born 1859
illegitimate child

Source: Rogaland county, Landsoknet i Kopervik, Ministerialbok nr. A 2 (1880-1912), Fødte og døpte 1883, page 6.
Link1 Link2

This looks to be Sven in census-1865, although he doesn't live on the Veaa farm at the time.

The reason you haven't found here in the emigration records from Stavanger, could be that those records are not complete, due to a fire 100 years ago. The current database are a re-build of the lost register.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2007 :  00:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... did you look among the records for Emigrants from Stavanger 1825-1970...?

Here are Anna Martha Johannesdtr Ødegaard (28) and daughter Severine Svendsdtr (6) registered as emigrated in 1888. No exact date is given.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/01/2007 00:05:46
Go to Top of Page

libertygirl2007
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2007 :  22:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx you guys!!!!! I had gone to the mormon site ( Latter day saints) but obviously was typing in the wrong name. I did look through some of the not-so-exact people but did not see her. With Sven I was way off! Is there a place where I could look for death records, rumor in my family has it he died at sea, would they make a death record? Oh, well, it is o.k. if not, I was the great grand-daughter of her next child Alfred Magnus Anderson Sr. Do you know of a swedish version of this site? That is the next thing on my list. Well, Thanks again!!!!
Go to Top of Page

libertygirl2007
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2007 :  23:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I forgot on the census with anna martha are any of those her brothers and sisters?? I imagine datter is daughter, right? But what about deres and hendes. Sorry if these are painfully obvious to you but it wont hurt to ask. Does Alder mean age? I know here a lot of young adults borded and I dont want to jump to conclusions if I don't know what the words mean. I may not be very good at searching geneology, but I can find very sweet and nice people who can, huh? Well thanks again Jan Peter.

Edited by - libertygirl2007 on 26/01/2007 23:07:32
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2007 :  23:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
yes, Oline, Ole Johan, Laurits, Lisebeth Mallene, Bendik & Johanne Magrethe are Anna Martha's siblings.
And you were right about your assumptions for datter and alder..,

deres means their (child)
hendes means her (child), ie Johannes Johannesen is not Olines father, but someone named Ole...

Martha Svendsdatter (66) is prob. not related to the family, since she is registered as a "Lægdslæm".

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/01/2007 23:33:17
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2007 :  23:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2007 :  00:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a Svend Svendsen, born 1856 in the 1900 census in Skudesnæs, houseowner/fisherman:

click here

Many young women with a child out of wedlock would emigrate to start a new life and would say she was a widow to save face.
Go to Top of Page

libertygirl2007
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2007 :  00:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you think they ever did get married? I had heard that the child was illegitimite so if she was doing the above why tell? the census you gave Jo Anne has an Anna the birth being only a year off. could be miscalculation due to the month of birth. Besides her daughter was 6 why wait so long? Well thanx you guys I never thought I would get this much info. Oh and all the swedish geneology sites I seem to come across sends me to genline or something that you have to download a program to use and I cannot do that. Any sites up for recommendation?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2007 :  02:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I've not found her marriage in any of the churchbooks available online for this area. Her marriage record are not in the same churchbook as where her daughter Severine Amalie was christened [Kopervik]. Neither is there any trace of a burial of a Sven Svensen there for this period (1882-1888).

If she later married, I would guess she did so in Avaldsnes parish. I believe that's where the Ødegaard farm is located. The churchbook for that area for the years in question are not available online yet. However, the borders between the parishes are very "fuzzy". (Kopervik was a part of Avaldsnes until 1880).

A strange thing is that she is registered as married when she emigrates in 1888...

You say "I had heard that the child [Severine Amalie] was illegitimite..."

Well, the proof is already in the third post of this topic. It is written in the original churchbook from 1882 that Severine Amalie is an illegitimate child. Her father is named as "bachelor", her mother is named as "young girl", and it's written "uekte" (illegitimate), in the annotation column...
You can see the original page for her christening if you click on the first link given in that post.

You could try to post a query about your swedish ancestor at the swedish Anbytarforum.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/01/2007 03:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2007 :  07:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is extremely doubtful they ever married if they did not do it around the birth of their child. I have two instances in my family history, when they left Norway they were "pige" (a girl/unmarried woman) with a child, on the passenger list at arrival in North America, they were married. This is before computers, Social Security and all the techology we have today. This was not that big of a deal at that time. If they had gotten married and he died, she would have been listed as "enke", a widow. You have to give a grain of salt to family stories/legends.

Well, there is nothing better for free online research than being Norwegian. We should all appreciate having all these databases available. It is very expensive to have all this information input and have the costs of maintaining websites like this great Norway Heritage website we have, it is totally supported by volunteers and donations.

You have to know the when the census were done and compare them to birthdates to ascertain the exact dates. Some census were on on around the first of the year, some census were done at the middle or end of the year and after all is said and done, some women actually lied about their age.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 27/01/2007 07:13:53
Go to Top of Page

libertygirl2007
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2007 :  19:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had come to the conclusion that she was an illegitimite child. I was just saying that if she was going to lie about being a widow and was sent to U.S. in shame or whatever why tell everyone the little girl was born out of wedlock. Generally people came to start over. But that is o.k. My mom always says ' take everything with a grain of salt' too. I sent an e-mail to my grandfather, he is her grandson, and I will see what he says. He is a very intelligent man and is in a lot deeper in the geneology. Although he can't read Norwegian, as far as I know. So I don't see how he would have come across that info above. I also don't see him in any forums either. So maybe this is new info. Thanx again everyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article