All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Family Crest (Coat of Arms) Lineage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSEPH7351
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  20:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the earlier post i didnt read your guidelines this is what i said in my earlier post:

IM LOOKING FOR MY COAT OF ARMS OR FAMILY CREST MY FATHER HAS TRACED US ALL THE WAY BACK TO NORWAY MY LAST NAME (SURNAME) IS STRAND IVE SEARCHED ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND HAVENT FOUND ANYTHING BUT SOME CAVEMAN AND I KNOW THATS NOT CORRECT. ITS FROM A CREST MILL..ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED MY EMAIL IS JOSEPH7351@GMAIL.COM

This is the information I have:

The earliest information I have is from an ancestor Ole Olson Strand born on 06/21/1851 from Telemarken, Kviteseid Norway date of death 12/5/1933 married Dagne Karine Svensdatter Sinnes (Sinnaes in Norway) her dob is 8/4/1848 died 12/5/1933 she is from Kviteseid, Te her ancestors were Aanund Mikkelsen Sinnaes and Sigrid Svendsdatter Dale they used the name Sinnes in America.

i have more information so if any specifics are needed please let me know there is too much for me to type out we have 2 whole books of marriages weddings and deaths but these are the earliest i can find with the dates of circa 1742

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  21:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've checked birth/baptismal records of Kviteseid, Telemark for the years 1848 and 1851 - I find no record for Ole or Dagne.
I also checked US censuses for Norway born persons using surname Sinnes and don't find Aanund, Sigrid or Dagne.

How reliable is the source of your information? Several things seem quite unusual ... one being Dagne using Svendsdatter as her patronymic when you seem to indicate her father was Aanund - she should therefore be listed as Aanundsdatter.

There ARE farms called Strand and Sinnæs in Kviteseid - that is in some small way encouraging...
When and where did Ole and Dagne marry?
Did they perhaps come to Kviteseid AFTER they were born? perhaps marry there? or perhaps that was just the last place they resided in Norway?

Wait, wait - Dagne was born 13 Dec 1842 on Sinnæs in Kviteseid. Father was Svend Aanundsen - mother Dagne Tarjesdatter.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1381&idx_id=1381&uid=ny&idx_side=-78
Dagne works on a Kviteseid farm at the time of the1865 Norwegian census -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0829&kenr=010&bnr=0052&lnr=000

But - there is another Dagne born 12 Apr 1844 on Sinnæs. Father Aavold Mikkelsen, mother Guro Svendsdatter.

Edited by - Hopkins on 05/02/2007 22:03:52
Go to Top of Page

JOSEPH7351
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  00:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MY AUNT TRIED TO RESEARCH WHERE OLE OLSEN STRAND WAS BORN ALL SHE COULD FIND OUT WAS THAT HIS FATHERS NAME OLE GJERMUNDSEN AND MOTHER WAS MALENE ASLAKSDATTER WHICH WAS TAKEN OFF OF THE MARRIAGE RECORD AND ANOTHER MENTION OF ASLAK OLSEN STRAND I DONT KNOW THEIR BIRTH DATES OR ANYTHING ELSE. AS FAR AS THE SINNAES I HAVE A PASSENGER LIST FROM THE IMMIGRATION THAT SHOWS THERE WERE 6 CHILDREN WITH 4 BORN IN NORWAY THE OTHER CHILDREN LISTED WERE SVEND AANUNDSEN SINNAES BORN AUG. 5 1803, SIGRID BORN JUNE 22 ,1837, ANNE BORN APRIL 8, 1840, DAGNE BORN DEC. 14, 1845 AND THE OTHER TWO CHILDREN BORN IN THE U.S. WHICH INCLUDES DAGNE KARINE WHICH WAS MARRIED TO OLE STRAND IN APRIL 11, 1874. I LOTS AND LOTS OF INFO SO LET ME KNOW ....MY MAIN GOAL IS TO FIND A FAMILY CREST OR COAT OF ARMS
Go to Top of Page

JOSEPH7351
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  00:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY IF I CAN FIND ANY FAMILY OR RELATIVES EVEN BETTER
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  00:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Highly unlikely that there was ever a family crest or a coat of arms. As another told you in your previous posting that was limited to royalty and therefore extremely rare in Norway.

If you decide to actually do any research in Kviteseid you'll want to know that the parish church records survive for years as early as 1755 and that there is a published history/genealogy of the area "Kviteseid bygdesoge", 3 volumes by Torjus Loupedalen, Good luck.

(Writing in all CAPS is the equivalent of YELLING online.)
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  00:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSEPH7351

....MY MAIN GOAL IS TO FIND A FAMILY CREST OR COAT OF ARMS

Here is an article by Jo Anne that you will probably find interesting: Property Marks in Rural Norway - Bumerker

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  00:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joseph, is this what you are looking for? It´s all written in Norwegian: Bumerker i Norge: http://www.cappelen-krefting.no/hans/bumerkerinorge.htm#_edn1
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article