All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Searching for Elizabeth Everson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sweetbarb1
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  20:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried for months to locate great grandfather Everson. Didn't have his first name. However Martin Everson my grandfather shows on his death certificate in Fargo ND 1923 it states "father unknown" It does show mother as Elizabeth Everson. It never accured to me that was her maided name and she was never married and so My grandfather Martin wouldn't know who his father was. My grandfathers death certificate list him born in Odalen Norway in 1875. Which if I was lucky enough that would be where his mother was from. If anyone out there has an Everson Line or are looking for an Everson it would be great. Sweetbarb

sweetbarb1

Edited by - sweetbarb1 on 11/02/2007 21:07:06

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  23:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't you do some research into the birth/baptismal records of the Odal area of Hedmark Norway, both Sør-Odal and Nord-Odal??

In the years around 1875 (perhaps plus and minus one full year) you'd hope to find a record of a male child probably named Martin, Martinius, or some similar variation. You'd want a mother's given name like Elizabet, Lisbeth, or similar variation. If there was some indication of the name Ever or Even - you'd be able to start a real celebration.

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

sweetbarb1
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  00:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the information on the parish records. I had copied off from the Digitalarkivet every name close to the spelling of Everson. Didn't pay much attention to any variation of the first name of Martin possibly being different. I will difinetly take a closer look at that as well as Elizabet, Lisbeth. Thank you again

sweetbarb1
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  00:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everson might very well be an american spelling of Iversen.

A few comments you should clearify:

1. Was Martin known as Martin Everson?
2. Was Elizabeth known as Elizabeth Everson?
3. Do you have proof that Martin's parents was not married, or that they didn't live together?

You have to figure out where Martin has his Lastname from. I doubt that he took his mother's lastname...

I would guess Martin had a father named Ivar (Iver), or his father's Lastname was Iversen...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

sweetbarb1
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  00:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His death certificate listed him as Martin Everson. It also listed "father unknown" and mother as Elizabeth Everson.I don't have proof but have been unable to find him in 1875 census from Digitalarkivet. If Martin father is there I could have missed him because I don't have his name. I'm going to look in the confirmation records. Maybe I can find my grandfather there. When I looked thru the Digitalarkivet records I copied every Iverson, Everson,Evenson Evensen, Ivensen they listed hoping to find him that way. Thank you I will keep all that in mind in my search. I really don't have any proof that my great grandmother was married or not ,I'm just going by the death certificate listing mother's maiden name as Elizabeth Everson. I'm trying every avenue that is given me and appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

sweetbarb1
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  00:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The online version of the norwegian 1875-census does not include Sør-Odal and Nord-Odal parish in Hedmark, Norway.

The census took place January 3rd, 1876, but if he is born in Odalen (ie either Sør-Odal or Nord-Odal), you will not find him in the 1875 census.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

sweetbarb1
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  00:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have another question however. I copied and pasted an entry from Konfirmerte i Innset sokn i Kvikne prestegjeld 1887-1910
Prot. ref. Page Serial no. Year Date Local parish/Church Remarks
74 Kvikne MINI 7 75 1 1894 06.05.1894 Innset K: Vaksinator Karen Nilsen. Gift i Kvikne 24.02.1901
Role Position Given name Last name Sex Residence Birth place Born Year of birth Baptised Vaccination Grade
220 Konfirmant Paul Andersen M Botneflaten Myrbekken 30.11 1877 10.02.1878 V. 25.09.1883 Mellom godt og temmelig godt. Flittig, men smaa læreevner
221 Far Inderst Anders Paulsen Myrbekken
222 Mor H Gjertrud Olsdatter Myrbekken
What does Far mean and Mor mean? I not sure what I'm reading here.

sweetbarb1
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  01:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
confirmand Paul Andersen, Residence Botneflaten, Birth place Myrbekken, born 30.11 1877. Grade: Between "good" and "pretty good" (Between "C" and "B"). Hard-working, but not very gifted in terms of learning.
Father Anders Paulsen Myrbekken
Mother Gjertrud Olsdatter Myrbekken

Edited by - jwiborg on 13/02/2007 01:04:06
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  03:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under LINKS above on this webpage you'll find two excellent word lists of translations from Norwegian to English.

You'll be able to order microfilm copies of the birth/baptismal records at your nearest LDS Family History Center. They are not online.

What do Paul Andersen and Kvikne have to do with Elizabeth Everson, Martin Everson or Sør-Odal and Nord-Odal?
Go to Top of Page

sweetbarb1
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  06:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the confussion. They have nothing to do with what I'm looking for, I was scanning the records and ran across the words Mor and Far under the 1st person name . So I copied and pasted to forum thinking this would make it clearer. I will be going to LDS library tomorrow and try that Thank you for your help .

sweetbarb1
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article