All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Search for Pauline Norum/Setternes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

haggar35
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  04:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

When attempting to trace the movements of my Grandfathers Sister's between Norway and the US in 1895. Using all the sources I have access to have resulted in a blankwall.

I have been unable to establish her initial travel route to the US, her residence, place and date of marriage after1895. On 22 August, 1895 Pauline Norum, 19yrs and Single departs Aalesund Norway on a Prepaid Cunard Line ticket. Her Arrival Date and Location in the US is not known and neither is her Final Destination in the US.

I next pick up her location back in Norway, where Pauline Norum, now Pauline Setternes, 24yrs and married is again departing Aalesund with twins, Nils and Martin Setternes in the company of her younger brother Peder Nornen (Peter Norum), arriving at ELLIS ISLAND, the Port of NY on 23 june, 1901,with a destination of Bryant Hamlin County, South Dakota.

This is also the initial destination of another of Paulines brothers - my Grandfather Martin George Norum, who traveled one year earlier in 1900.

Can anyone suggest possible search plan and/or sources to obtain this information??

Regards
Gene H. Norum

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  05:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1900 US census shows a married Nels Satternes living in Hamlin County, South Dakota. He is 26 years old, born in Norway and he lists his year of immigration as 1895. He is clearly listed as married but no wife or family is listed on the page with him.

1920 US census shows Nils Satterness and family living in St. Louis County, Minnesota. His wife is called 'Lena', he has a son named George M. and another named Nils.

Investigate those against the ages of the persons you are looking for.

Spelling variations are usually the first thing to consider.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  18:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at the index departures and arrivals as well as the information on the Cunard Line on this site you will note that the Cunard Line in 1895 had a route from Liverpool to Boston or New York. There is also alot of interesting articles on the Norway/Hull/Liverpool/North America route.

Here is her leaving Norway:

click here

Paulina Norum arrived at the Port of Boston from Liverpool/Queenstown aboard the SS Catalonia on September 9, 1895. She traveled with 9 other people from Aalesund. Their destinations in America were Merril (?) and Chicago but Paulina's was listed at New York and her occupation as spinster.

They may have been other people on the voyage from Aalesund but the passenger list is 58 pages long.

It would have been a short train ride to NY. Going to Boston first is not unusual, she probably did not want to travel alone from Norway to America. Most of us have taken a trip from a farther starting location and destination due to time schedules/, routes, fares, etc.

p.s. putting in the links for the information you have already found saves us a step in looking things up.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 04/03/2007 18:54:35
Go to Top of Page

ninakarls

Norway
232 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  19:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Paulina's husband leaves Norway here: April 6 1899 Nils B. Sæternæs m 25 gift Dakota farmer American linjen Dakota Borgerbr. Opr. fra Bud (Birthplace: Bud)

Paulina is living with her twin sons at her parents' on Veblungsnes, Grytten in 1900-census
Martinus Norum m b Hf g Bager og brødforretning 1840 Levanger NT N S
Grethe Norum k b Hm g Steller huset 1844 Flækkefj. LM N S
Pauline Norum k b D g Farmerkone - Steller sin 2 gutter 1876 Flækkefj. Americansk S
Ole Norum Sættenes m b S ug Søn 1887 T N S
Nils Sættenes m b D.S ug Datter Søn 19091899 T N S
Martin Sættenes m b D.S ug Datter Søn 19091899 T N S

Her father is a baker from Levanger in Nord Trøndelag County. His wife is from Flekkefjord in Vest Agder County. Pauine is born in Flekkefjord.

1865-census lists him in Nedre Stjørdalen
Værneshalsen, Spende
Martinus Norum Bager hos Carl Løken ug 27 m Skogn Skogn Anex til Frosten

Here his birth place is given as Skogn.

I find only one match for Grethe in the1865-census: in Stavanger:
Johan Johanes. Paalestad Husfader Styremand g 25 m Stavanger
Grethe Soffie Thors<dtr>. Kone g 21 k Flækefiord
Johanes Johans. Baren 1 m Stavanger (born Oct. 9. 1865)

1900-census for 1549 Bud, Sæternesset
Bendik Raffelsen Sæternes m b Hf g Føderådsmand 1830 T N S I føderadshuset
Mari Jonnysdtr. k b Hm g Føderadskone 1851 T N S
Johanne Bendiksdtr. k b D ug Husgjerning 1886 T N S
Elisabet Bendiksdtr. k b D ug Datter 1888 T

This could be Nils' parents and 2 sisters.

Hope this info is of interest.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  20:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See also the topics Family Search - NORUM and linking MARTIN G. NORUM to MARTINUS NORUM

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

haggar35
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  00:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks
That answers one part of my question. When she left Norway in 1895, it was a documented emmigration. And I use the same proceedure for her second travel with her children in 1901,

But; How would I go about documenting Paulines movement - US Port of Departure - Port of arrival Norway - Type of Passage, ect. when she leaves the US and travels back to Norway, where she appears at her parents home in 1899/1900?

I know my inexperience is showing, but I don't get it - I need help!!

Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  17:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by haggar35

How would I go about documenting Paulines movement - US Port of Departure - Port of arrival Norway - Type of Passage, ect. when she leaves the US and travels back to Norway, where she appears at her parents home in 1899/1900?

There are no existing passenger manifests for ships departing the US (as I know of) or for ships arriving to Norway. The only source where you might find the information you are looking for is in The British Board of Trade passenger lists inwards, which exists for the years 1878-1888 and 1890-1960. That is if she was traveling via Britain to Norway from the US. That route was a very common route, but not the only way to travel. You can read more about the British records in the article: British outbound passenger lists . Actually, there are a number of articles on this site, written specially to spread knowledge about how to find records and how to get access to different sources. Recommended reading.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article