All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Sigurd Svendsen, b. 01.01.1890 in Aamot, Hedmark
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

svenovebakke
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  21:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigurd Svendsen, born 01.01.1890, from Åsta in Aamot, Hedmark arrived at Ellis Island with Carmania from Liverpool on February 02, 1913. His homeplace was spelled Aarsta on the passenger record.

Anybody able to find out where he went next, where he settled etc? Have found two Sigurd Svendsen's in Illinois, but the birth dates don't match.

More info on Sigurd:
Sigurd was son of Svend Olsen Brænden (from Tørberget, Trysil, d. 1915), and was the third of 11 children.

In the Norwegian Digitalarkivet's emigrant records, he's found on link number: 214392

Sven Ove Bakke
Oslo/Kongsvinger

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  22:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigurds final destination was a friend in Finley, Steele County, North Dakota.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

dianefranco

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  23:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Sven Ove!

He's on the World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 as SIGURD SWENSON in Duluth, St. Louis County, Minnesota. Birth date matches. I'll e-mail you the image from Ancestry.com.

Best,
Diane

Go to Top of Page

svenovebakke
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  22:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so far for excellent information. As a novice to transatlantic genealogy, there are so many sources and databases I don't know about. Keep 'em coming!
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  23:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not found him in the 1920 census, so maybe he died in WWI??

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

svenovebakke
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2008 :  22:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he fell in WWI, would there be US military records of, like where and when he eventually got wounded or died?

I guess the amercianization of his name makes it harder to trace him in this aspect as well. A curious detail I noticed from the draft card Diane found, was that he had signed it "Sigurd Svendsen" even though it was spelled "Swenson" on top of the card.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2008 :  13:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
US Military records can usually be found -- perhaps rarely online - but still possible.
A favorite website to use to learn about such varied topics is Cyndi's List -- here's her list of web links concerning World War I -
http://www.cyndislist.com/worldwar1.htm
One of the most important repositories for US military records would be in the National Archives - specifically the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri. They have a helpful website that explains how records can be requested.
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/index.html

Go to Top of Page

svenovebakke
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2008 :  18:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Hopkins - I'll check it out.
This is a follow-up question to the veterans in here: Svendsen can be americanized in quite a few ways, the Swenson/Swanson variety seems to be the most common. But: can a person theoretically live a long life in the US from 1913 an onwards spelling his surname differently from one register to another? And when started the practice with social security numbers?

Edited by - svenovebakke on 23/03/2008 18:28:08
Go to Top of Page

dianefranco

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2008 :  06:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine why he would change his surname from register to register. Perhaps he Americanized his first name?

The Social Security Act was signed in 1935 . . .
Go to Top of Page

svenovebakke
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  22:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that he eventually changed Sigurd into something else is one option if he came out of the war alive. None of the Sigurd Svendsen's og Sigurd Swenson's I have found is the right one, birth year or birth place won't match. But thanks to everyone who has helped out so far, and especially Diane for finding the WWI draft card in the first place, and Jan Peter for finding his first destination.
Go to Top of Page

olaf hansen
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  10:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am now doing som work for a decendant of Borghild, Sigurd's sister. Do any of you now have information about Sigurd's army service or if he survived the war ?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  22:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is I think his passage to America, in spite of the identificatin as Swedish, the original manifest clearly states he is from Norway, Aorsta, The Aorsta is difficult to read.

Name: Sigurd Svendsen
Arrival Date: 3 Feb 1913
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Scandinavian
Ship Name: Carmania
Search Ship Database: View the Carmania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
NATIVITY: Sweden

The original manifest lists the following:
Father as Svend Olsen
Travelling to Findley North Dakota

From Ancestry.com
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  23:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing to remember about the World War I Draft Registraion Cards is that not all of the men who registered actually were inducted into the Armed Forces. Here is a good article that gives some information about the cards. It is very possible that your Sigurd Svendsen never entered the army.

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/wwidraft.htm
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  03:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed on the World War I Draft Registration Card that Sigurd worked as a woodsman for the Trout Lake Lumber Company. A good description of life in the logging industry is described in this book from Google Books. The pictures are worth a look.

Google Books

Edited by - AntonH on 16/10/2009 03:06:14
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  18:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

At www.genealogybank.com there are three mentions of a "Sigurd Svendson" in the historical newspapers section of which two are from notices concerning men enlisted at Duluth which would make it appear Sigurd actually went into the service during WWI. The brief snippet also mentions his address as the Brandon (Brendon?) Hotel in Tacoma, Wash.

The site is a subscription site--the look is free but subscription required for a view of the entire article + download.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article