All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peter Christoffersen Thanem family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  00:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
First I would like to thank anyone who can help me find a relative who is looking for family information. I know this is the place to find help from the experts.
Peter Christoffersen Thanem immigrated to the United States. From going through the farm name " Thanem " I narrowed the search to Sor Trondelag, Norway. All that was known about Peter in the United States is from census records. It states that his wife's name was Bertha and that she was born about 1854 and Peter in 1856. They had a son named Claus born about 1889. From looking at the records from Klaebo I found a Peter Kristoffersen born 1-1-1856 and a Beret I believe in May 1854. Their marriage took place on July 25, 1879. Peter's parent were listed as Kristoffer Madsen and Marith Pedersdt. and Bereth's as Jorgen Pedersen and looks like Kjersten Eriksdatter.
Here is where I am getting a little confused! From the Emigration records in 1860 it appears they left the parish and went to Strinden. I found them in the Strinden records and found the family in the 1865 census there. They are living on a farm by the name of Bjerkaas and the local parish name is Bratsberg. In the 1865 census I believe I found Beret Jorgensdatter in the census in Klaebo on the farm Thanemstro, her father being Jorgen Peders. Here is where I am confused. In the 1865 Census in Klaebo there is a Peter Christofferson on the Grindstadplads farm, age 11, with the a Nils Pedersen and other Pedersen's.
I am trying to find the correct families, and have been tracing Peter's parents as Christoffer Madsen and Marith Pedersen. Am I following the right direction? I wasn't too confused until the other Peter showed up living at the Klaebo census. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to guess and give my relative false information. There are enough family trees online where guessing is done. Thank you again for any help you can give me.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  01:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1920 US census shows a Claus Thanem, 39 years old, born Norway and immigrated about 1885. Lives in Spokane Co., Washington.

Is this the Claus Thanem who is the son of Peter and Bertha?
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  01:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Yes, that is the son of Peter and Berthe. I have found him in the social securtiy death index and in the draft register. The birthdate matches the birth record of Claus in Norway. That is why I do believe it is the correct family. The months of birth match Peter, Berthe, and Claus found in the census also. I know the census records aren't totally reliable tho. The main problem I am having is when they move in Norway I get toally lost as this area of Norway I know nothing about. And as I stated, that other Peter Kristoffersen in the Klaebo census confused me. I have looked at this family for a week and the different farm names listed where each was born and am just more confused. Everything I have learned on Norwegian genealogy has been self taught and from this great website.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  01:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is where Peter and Berthe were in the United States and Canada.
1905 Census they were in Wadena County, Shell River, Minnesota and family was Peter, Bertha, Clause, John, Josie, Minnie, Ella and Ernest.

1911 Census they were in Saskatchewan Canada, and listed is Peter, Bertha, Clause and Ernest.

1920 Census they are in Linn County, Mill City, Oregon.
Peter has remarried and his wife is Maggie along with choldren Ernest and Ella.
If have any other questions, please ask so no one takes time looking for something I might have. Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  08:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Peter Christofers (fosterchild) who in 1865 lived on the Grindstadplads farm, age 11, with Nils Pedersen and other Pedersen's is not your Peter, but somehow related?
Your Peter moved with the family to Strinden in the fall of 1859, Peter was then 4 years, see #15
Your Peter and Beret with the children Klaus and Kirstine moved out from Klæbu in 1884, see #3-6
Klaus was born Oct 2 1879, see #27
Peter and Beret married July 25 1879, see #2
Kirstine was born Oct 16 1881, see #12
The baptismal record for Peter is #2
he was born Jan 1 1856.
The baptismal record for Beret is #13
she was born out of wedlock May 29 1854. Her mother Kirsti Eriksdatter came from Selbu.
Jørgen and Kjersten later married and had 5 chiln in 1865
Peter, his parents and siblings in 1865

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 16/06/2008 07:23:00
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  08:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peters father Kristopher Madsen was born Aug 24 1822, see #9
his parents were Matz Kristophersen Semmervold and Karen Bendixdatter.
Matz and his parents in 1801
Peters mother Marith Pedersdatter was born Febr 15 1825, see #6
her parents were Peder Nilsen Grindstad and Ingebor Einarsdatter.
Kristoffer and Marith were married Sept 24 1851, see #2
Nils, Claus, Ole and Gunhild were brothers and sister of Peters mother Marith.
The "fosterbarn" Peter may well be your Peter who could have moved back from Strinden to live with his uncles and aunt. (Trouble is he is also registered in the Strinden census!)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 24/04/2008 09:15:48
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  16:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eibache,
Thank you for your help. I had found what you found so I was on the right track! I hadn't found them in the 1801 Census, thank you for that. The part that I don't understand is a " fosterbarn " in Norway the same as in the United States? Under Peter's baptism it states his parent's as Kristoppher Madsen and Marit Pedersdatter. So I just don't understand that part. If he was fosterbarn wouldn't the parent's names be different?
I will have to go through my stack of papers and look at the Peter living with the family with the Peteresen's. If I remember correctly the Petronelle Olsdatter listed on there some of the sponsors were Christopher Madsen and Marit Pedersdatter. More confusion!
Thank you for your help. Will do some more studying.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  20:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A foster child is brought up by other than the parents, but does not change name. If a child is adopted, name will normally change to suit the new parents.
In the case of Peter, he did not stay with his uncles and aunt long, he emigrated to the US with his parents - right?
Petronelle (baptized Petronilla) was Gunilds daughter born out of wedlock, fater was Ole Halvorsen from Sundalen. Witnesses Kristopher Madsen Bjerkan and "kone" = wife Marith Pedersdatter, Niels Pedersen, Karen Pedersdatter. (siblings of Petronelles mother Gunhild Pedersdatter. This should not confuse you, family members were often witnesses at baptism.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  21:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Peter and Berthe in Emigration records in the Klaebu Parish Register Copy on page 186 - numbers 3,4,5 and 6. This was on June 27, 1884 and leaving were Peter, Berthe, Klaus and Kjerstine. I apologize for not learning how to do images yet.
So in your opinion Peter was fosterborn? I guess I was United States thinking and reading it more as a birth certificate than a christening record.
I had even went through many years of christening records looking for anothr Peter whose father's name was Kristoffer thinking the Peter listed as fosterborn belonged to someone else. I never found another Peter born with a father Kristoffer.
Thank you again for your help.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  23:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Peter and Berthe in Emigration records in the Klaebu Parish Register Copy on page 186 - numbers 3,4,5 and 6. This was on June 27, 1884 and leaving were Peter, Berthe, Klaus and Kjerstine. - see my posting 24/04/2008 : 08:29:42!

Einar
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  01:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eibache,
I apologize, somehow I missed that in your posting. I was looking through my notes and decided to add it. I have been looking for him on the Digitalarkivet records just to see if I could find them. Found a lot with the Thanem name, but not them. I don't need the other one just thought it would be neat to see.
I also think I found Kristoffer Madsen's death on 1-22-1900. Will have to recheck that one. Thank you again for your help.
The relative that this family belongs to will be so pleased. For whatever reason some of the ancesters that came over didn't leave many clues. Either that are we never really listened to their stories. I thank Norway for the gift of the Digital Archives as it is a gift.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  01:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer a question perataining again to the family above. I am now tracing Giertune Christopersdatter and was wondering if I found her marriage record. The one I found was married on October 18, 1821 (number 5) to a John Olsen. Is this the same Giertsue in the above postings in the 1801 Census?
I tried various spellings in the 1801 census to make sure there wasn't another possibility of another Giertune Christophersen to be sure and couldn't find any. Just want to make sure I have it correct. After this one, will work on looking for Kiersten!
Thank you again for any imput. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  07:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this Giertrue Christophersdatter was from Semmervold, was 26 years in 1821 and one of the witnesses was "Brudens fader Christopher Semmervold" - it all match the 1801 data.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  13:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again for confirming that for me! Now I can do her family for my relative. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  03:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am now trying to find information on Kiersten Christophersdtr. who Eibache found in the 1801 Census on the previous postings here on 24-04-2008. I am having no luck finding information on her life after the 1801 Census. I thought I might have found her in the 1809 Confirmation records in Klaebo, but not sure. Any help in getting me started on her would be appreciated! I am just not finding anything. Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  07:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll find her as Kirsten in the right column Jan 13 1793, here
she was baptized at home and this was confirmed in church. Her father was Christopher Timervold.
At the baptism of Jertrue and Matz ( and his twin brother Peder) the father was also Christopher Temmervold. (Have not found the right name of the farm)
She was confirmed in 1808, see #32
in the lower right hand corner.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/08/2008 07:44:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article