All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Looking for Sundbye
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sdbousson
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  04:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the vocabulary lesson! this and the dictionary will help considerably.

sdbousson
Go to Top of Page

sdbousson
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  04:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Hopkins: The only documents I have seen from the Digitalarkivet were provided by you members, I did not realize there were different forms, or even in fact what they mean, except for your interpretations! I do recognize names, and ages, and thank you very much to Kaarto for the lesson in translation. That will help quite abit! Sheila

sdbousson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  12:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The scanned images from the Digitalarkivet are Norwegian parish church records.
The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

When you've studied and used the instructions and been able to find a scanned page that you'd like to capture as a URL to share with someone else or save for your family history documentation - just copying the URL that your browser shows will NOT provide a working link.

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save the exact URL location or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Digitalarkivet has MANY other databases of info including Norwegian censuses of 1801, 1865, 1875 (partial), and 1900; emigration records of at least 12 Norwegian ports of departure.
Tips on Using The Digitalarkivet in Norway

Go to Top of Page

ckennedy
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  18:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Hans Hansen Ramstad was married Dec 27 1801, see #2
note that Sergiant Sundbye was one of the witnesses.
According to the 1801 census Hans Hansen was then 21 years old.
Olaug Andersdatter was 22 years old in 1801 and her baptismal record is most likely #5
she was a twin, was baptized Febr 14 1779 and her parents were Anders Nielsen and Abelone Larsdatter.

I am so pleased to find this information! Hans Hansen Ramstad is my g-g-g-grandfather. I had his marriage record to Olaug Andersdatter and notedy that Sgt. Sundbye was a witness. I have additional data on Serg. Ped. Friderichs Sundbye from the 1807 census taken on 5 May 1807, Manntall 1807 for Fredrikstad og Glemmen med Krakeroy by Norge. REntekammeret and Fredrikstad og Omegns Historielag.from Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah Call number 948.21./F1 X2n 1807. It is a transcribed record.

Fortegnelse, over de ved det Nordenfieldske Infanterie Regiment, saavel i Fridrichstadts nye og gamle Caserner, samt paa Forteresserne Kongsteen og Aggeroen , etc. etc

I den nye Casserne bor
Serg. Ped. Friderichs. Sundbye
Jarlsberg appears under the heading Fodested Valders
Age = 42
16 1/2 appears under column Aar i Byen eller Forstaden (which I believe means how long living there)
med Kone Johane Marie JorgensD. from SchiebergS. age 32, lived there 9 years
dreng Friderich Anthon born in Fr. Stad. 1 year,
pige Andrea Friderike Fr. Stad. 4 years
TjenestePige Anne Niels Dtr. Fr. Stad. 19 years, lived there 17 years, confirmert.
do Britha Hans Dtr. born in thune S. 11, lived there 2 years (then a note on same line Serg. Sundbye har taget hende)
til sig fordi Moderen er dod, og Faderen Hans Tolfsen, som er paa Gaarden Omberg
i Thune Sogn, er meget fattig, syn og fandfor, leser usselt.

Then, next is my g-g-g-grandfather Vegh. Tamb. Hans Ramstad from Drobak, 28 years old, lived there 10 1/3 years, Skogaer
med Kone Olove Anders Dtr. thune S. 30, lived there 8 years
pige gunild Marie born in Fredrikstad 1/2 year old.

I hope this information helps sdbousson Also, I hope eibache can help me find the baptism of Hans Hansen Ramstad from Drobak. I have tried looking at the digitized records in Akershus in As parish, but I can't find him.
I would be happy to scan the census page and email it to sdbousson or others who may be interested. Sorry I do not read Norwegian.

CKennedy
Go to Top of Page

ckennedy
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  18:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hans Hansen Ramstad was married Dec 27 1801, see #2
note that Sergiant Sundbye was one of the witnesses.
According to the 1801 census Hans Hansen was then 21 years old.
Olaug Andersdatter was 22 years old in 1801 and her baptismal record is most likely #5
she was a twin, was baptized Febr 14 1779 and her parents were Anders Nielsen and Abelone Larsdatter.

Thank you EBache for the information on my g-g-g grandfather Hans Hansen Ramstad and his wife Olaug Andersdatter. I have looked at the record you attached, but I don't read Norwegian. Can you tell the name of Olaug's twin? Can you tell where her parents were from? Can you tell her birthdate in addition to the baptismal date you stated?

Thank you!

CKennedy
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  18:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the bottom of the right hand page you will find Gunil Maria
who was baptized Sept 28 1806, the parents being Hans Hansen Ramstad and Oluff Andersdatter.
Olaugs twin was named Hilleborg, she was baptized at home which was not the case with Olaug. In the record is stated that the father came from a place Raaedahlen in the Thune parish in Østfold. Where the mother came from is not noted nor when the children were born.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 01/06/2008 19:57:01
Go to Top of Page

ckennedy
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  18:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

who was baptized Sept 28 1806, the parents being Hans Hansen Ramstad and Oluff Andersdatter.
Olaugs twin was named Hilleborg, she was baptized at home which wasnot the case with Olaug. In the record is stated that the fathwer came from a place Raaedahlen in the Thune parish in Østfold. Where the mother came from is not noted.

Thank you so much! That is a wonderful clue. I will try to trace the family back further now that you have given me the place name in Thune parish.

CKennedy
Go to Top of Page

sdbousson
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  17:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have news that HT Sundbye was on the ship Friheden. There is a painting of the ship which will be handed down to his great great grandson upon the death of his step mother. Any photos of this ship?

sdbousson
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  17:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
This seems to be Friheden you asked for, build 1877, I dont know if there were more ships named Friheden "Freedom".
Bark Friheden was wrecked after a collision June 6. 1905 in Fredrikstad, the masts were taken down and Friheden was changed to a Barge.

Johan/Hans Johan Sundby from Fredrikstad, Shipmaster on Friheden from 1895-1903 must be Trygve Sundby´s brother, nr 54 in the 1900 census in page 1.

Edited by - Kåarto on 08/06/2008 17:55:48
Go to Top of Page

sdbousson
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  01:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the Friheden! I now find myself looking through ship histories like I have been looking for family ones! This is a wonderful addition to the family history!!!

sdbousson
Go to Top of Page

leslie masson
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  13:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great grandfather was Halfdan "Ted" Trygve Sundbye. His daughter Helen was my grandmother.

I haven't worked on any genealogy for quite a while so all of this information about his family is a bit overwhelming and exciting.

If you are interested in photographs I have some of Halfdan and
Alberdena's family. I also have a photograph of his father at his mother's grave site. Do you know that he had a brother who lived in Australia?

I would love to exchange notes on how Trygve and Alberdena met and married. I've been told he was quite a character. Frankly I would love to hear any stories about the family.

Leslie

Go to Top of Page

ckennedy
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  16:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Olaugs twin was named Hilleborg, she was baptized at home which was not the case with Olaug. In the record is stated that the father came from a place Raaedahlen in the Thune parish in Østfold. Where the mother came from is not noted nor when the children were born.

CKennedy
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  17:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oloug Andersdatters parents Anders Nielsen, Glemming and Abelone Larsdatter, Nøchlebye were married Nov 1 1778, see #13

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/12/2008 17:57:50
Go to Top of Page

ckennedy
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  20:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for your reply re: the marriage of Oloug Andersdatters parents. On the entry above that dated 2/12/2008 I was following up on Hans Hansen Ramstad being from a place Raaedahlen in Thune parish in Ostfold. I think Olaug was from Thune, but on the 1807 census for Fortegnelse of the Nordenfieldske Infanterie Regiment in Fredrikstad on May 5, 1807 included: Vegh. Tamb. Hans Ramstad, b. in Drobak, age 28, lived in Fredrikstad for 10 1/3 years, shoemaker; wife Olove Anders Dtr. born in Thune S. (aka Tune), 30 years old, lived in Fredrikstad for 8 years; and daughter Gunild Marie 1/2 year, born in Fredrikstad (Hansen.doc 14). Is it the case that when Gunil Maria was born in 1806 they were in Raaedahlen in Thune parish (see posting above), but that Hans was born In Drobak? I still cannot find his baptism in Drobak. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I will happily enter the information you sent to me re: Oloug.

CKennedy
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  08:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was Olougs father Anders Nielsen who came from "Pladsen Raaedahlen i Thune Sogn" - the main farm was Raa.
When Gunil Maria was born Hans Hansen Ramstad and Oluff (Oloug) Andersdatter were in Fredrikstad.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article