All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 At a loss need suggestions please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  20:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,

If you search at the Ellis Island database (as I just did) you should find 32 people of the surname Kom and 244 people of the surname Kon. Make a list of the places to give you places to look for records on John Kons birth family.

At Archivianet there are two databases of migrants which might help you the people from the Russian Empire database and the migrants from 1925-1935. In the latter I see an Anna Margrete Kon from Denmark coming in 27 Mar 1927 at the age of 37. There are 723 people at the Danish immigration website with origins of "Rusland" which I assume means Russia--somebody else help with correct translation there!-

Did your grandfather become a Canadian citizen? Did he own the land he was farming in 1917 near Buchanan, Saskatchewan? Have you collected all the birth records of all of your grandfather's children?
One of the reasons to do this is to arm yourself with as much information as possible to compare to individuals you might find.

In Hallingdal, Norway where some of my ancestors came from a familiar title for grandfather is gofa and for grandmother goma along with the usual bestefar and bestemor!

Good Luck!

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

LisaW
Starting member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2008 :  20:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jackie,

All of Grandpa's children are still alive. The oldest child lives with me, the middle one lives not very far from me, & the "baby" of the family is actually 80 yrs old. I know where Dad was born, I have seen his birth certificate that you carry in your wallet but have never wrote away for the "official piece of paper document". I also know where both his brothers were born. All were born in Saskatchewan near to where I grew up. As far as we know Grandpa didn't own the land at Buchanan, we think he was really a farmers hired hand. I don't know if Grandpa was a Canadian citizen or not, Dad seems to think that since Grandpa signed up for the war he got automatic Canadian citizenship if he wasn't. I don't know how accurate that last statement is so I think I'll post about it on another site. I've also posted another question about how to find how Grandpa & his wife came to Canada, I can't find them on any passenger list.

Cordially, Lisa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article