All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 At a loss need suggestions please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  17:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, good question.
I have no reason to doubt the oral handover in Lisas family is incorrect, I think Annie Pedersen was born Norwegian at the coastal area in Finnmark.

From Murmansk to Ukraine , it´s about the same distance as from New York to Minnesota.
If she ever was in Murmansk ?, they married in Scotland.
To own land in Norway from 1902 the Sami people had to have a Norwegian lastname.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 04/10/2008 17:03:08
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  17:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kċarto

Well, good question.
I have no reason to doubt the oral handover in Lisas family is incorrect, I think Annie Pedersen was born Norwegian at the coastal area in Finnmark.

From Murmansk to Ukraine , it´s about the same distance as from New York to Minnesota.
If she ever was in Murmansk ?, they married in Scotland.
To own land in Norway from 1902 the Sami people had to have a Norwegian lastname.

Kċre

It's not Annie that married in Scotland, it's her son.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  17:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Maybe Lisa will enlighten us with the contents of the marriage record from Scotland...

The sister's name are found in the WWI Soldiers database at archivianet:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=phepgnhe8duj355geqeob1iek4&q1=kom&q2=&q3=&interval=20

Since we are discussing distance to travel, from Buchanan Saskatchewan to someplace in Scotland to get married is quite a leap, too....

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 04/10/2008 17:26:04
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  17:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Since we are discussing distance to travel, from Buchanan Saskatchewan to someplace in Scotland to get married is quite a leap, too....

Jackie M.

He drafted for WWI in 1916, so he was probably in Europe to fight the Germans.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  17:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course it was, sorry, it happen one can get lost and mix up with names.
I still believe in the verbal handowers in this family, they are often relayable sources, about Annies origin.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

LisaW
Starting member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  17:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, sorry for not getting back sooner.
There really isn't any other information on Grandpa's marriage certificate that gives any clues. He was a Private in the Canadian Forestry division, he lists his usual place of residence as his new brides residence in Scotland, which I thought was odd, gives his parents names as Joseph Kon & Annie Pederson both deceased, thats it.
I'm finding it difficult to believe that the big fire that killed most of John Kon's family was in Montreal Canada. Why would sister Annie go back, how would she of gotten the money to go back to the old country. I think the fire was in the old country & Grandpa came over to Canada with his older brothers.
I do believe that Annie Pederson is Norwegian. Grandpa was adamant that he was Norwegian, even on the 1940 national registration he states he is Norwegian.
Cordially, Lisa
Go to Top of Page

LisaW
Starting member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  17:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father in law insisted that Kon is Russian even when I told him we were Norwegian. He went so far as to get a book out he had & find the word Kon. The book said that Kon meant priest in Russian. I wish I had that book. I don't think I'm too far off thinking that Joseph Kon was Russian & Annie Pederson was Sami. Maybe I should take a good look at the Kola Peninsula.
Thanks again everyone
Cordially, Lisa
Go to Top of Page

LisaW
Starting member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  17:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie:
Buchanan Saskatchewan has many or was founded by the Doukhobors. Maybe Grandpa could understand their language?
Cordially, Lisa
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  20:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,

The Dukhobars were from Russia so it would seem likely that if John spoke or understood Russian he / they could communicate. However, it seems unlikely that he himself would be a Dukhobar since they were philosophically opposed to military service and for that reason they left Russia.

Jackie
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  09:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, my suggestion.
If Annie was born in Norway she was likely christend Anny, born to Peder.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  13:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,

Have you / anyone on forum looked for anyone who listed Russia (Kiev, Ukraine, Galicia, Moldavia, etc.) as their travel destination or as their home in the later dates in the Norwegian digital archives emigrants databases? Make a list of places from which the John Kon / Kom came in the the Ellis Island database.

Another possibility is if Ukraine is the place, could the Kons have been Germans from Russia?

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/10/2008 13:26:25
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  19:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to see if there could be a match on Billa Czorthiev = Bila Tserkva,
but it doesn't look like that query has been made on the Ukrainian Genealogy Forum yet.

There are some Russians (mostly business people) in the Norwegian 1900-census.
Could it be that Joseph Kon came from Russia as a trader, and met Annie Pederson in Norway?
And then brought Annie back to Ukraine, where she gave birth to John?

Another possible origin for Joseph Kon would be Prussia.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 10/10/2008 20:12:31
Go to Top of Page

LisaW
Starting member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  04:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again everyone,

Thanks Kare, I was going to ask how Annie's name would of been spelled in Norway & if I was right that her father would be Peder.

I received an answer to my query about Billa Czorthiev =Bila Tserkva, & the person who answered said it was plausible. This person also gave me some links to look at, which I'm about to do right now.

I'm a little confused on what first name I should be looking for in Ellis Island, etc. Should I be looking for John or should I be looking for how his name would of been spelled in the area he came from? example: Ivan (Russian)=John westernized.

Cordially, Lisa

Go to Top of Page

LisaW
Starting member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  04:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for posting the map Jan Peter, makes it easier for me & I've often wondered myself if Grandpa was saying Prussia not Russia.

Jackie, I've mulled over the idea that Grandpa was a German from Russia too. When I was small he used to swing between his legs & throw me in the air & say oom pa pa to me. I've always associated "oom pa pa" with Germans/Germany....I don't know why.

Cordially, Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  09:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opa is German for grandfather (Oma is grandmother)

More options and learning, Annie could be her birth name to, I missed that on Friday, sorry.

It was 471 Anny, 231 Annie and 181 Anni in Norway according the 1900 census.
13 Anny, 4 Annie and 4 Anni living in Finnmark county, 2 Anny, no Annie or Anni with last name Pedersen.
17 Anny, 5 Annie and 5 Anni Pedersen/Pedersdatter in the Norwegian society as a whole.
Not the most common name as you see, a great advantage for you.
Pederesen could be Pedersdatter.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 12/10/2008 10:38:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article