All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Rolad Amundson family tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

deb amundson
Starting member

14 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  18:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Throughout my childhood I was told we were related to the great exploere Rolad Amundson. My grandparents lived in North Dakota near Grand Forkd and I think my grandfather Ole Amundson was born near Bergen Norway. He married Gunhild jodack.

Any help ?

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  19:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the 1900 census it was two Roald Amundsen living in Norway both born 1872 in Borge in Østfold county,both seamen in respectively Oslo and Tønsberg town in Vestfold county .
The explorer Roald Engelbrekt Gravning Amundsen lived in Tønsberg

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 08/12/2008 19:54:10
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Not much help with your objective but the Jodock family were from Hemsedal in Hallingdal, Norway.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Near the top of this page, is a click on topic, Forum Search.

Go there and type in Roald Amundsen and you will find previous postings regarding ancestry of Roald Amundsen

Les
Go to Top of Page

deb amundson
Starting member

14 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  03:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your help!

Jackie, Do you know anything else about the Jodock family?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  04:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Deb,

There are lots of materials on Jodock family.

The book mentioned on the other post you ran is entirely about Nils and his descendants. It's been a while since I looked at it but its likely to contain research about ancestors of Nils, too.

The Dec 1939 article about Ole Nilsen Jodock has much information on Ole and his travels and has tables tracing several of the family lines back to Ål, Hallingdal into the early 1700s.

The Hallinglag of America magazine Hallingen has published, through the years (1908-2008) at least 10-20 articles about members of the family, mostly obits and the like. Ole Jodock was treasurer of the Lag for a number of years. Most of the publishing til the 1980s or so was in Norwegian but most facts, names, dates are easy to pick out.

I hope you will take the opportunity to download Gunhild's homestead land patent record. A surprizing number of Norwegian women took out their own homesteads and she was one.

And I forgot, almost, to mention that all the parish registers for Hallingdal parishes, Hemsedal and Ål are available online at the digitalarkivet and searchable!

So you have "an embarrassment of riches" to explore with Jodocks.

But I am rather curious about what happened to Ole Amundson - do you know?

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 18/12/2008 04:27:44
Go to Top of Page

deb amundson
Starting member

14 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  04:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie,

You are great! I have been trying to get together a family tree for Christmas to give to my family. My father Martin died in May 2005 and before his death told me about some of my family in Norway and North Dakota. As I mentioned growing up I was told their was a family history done and we were somehow related to Roald Amundsen. I also was told about Wildrose North Dakota. We went to visit North Dakota a few times when I was a child and I remember my grandmother as a very independent woman. I also had a photograph of her when she was in her twenties and see was very pretty. There was also an old newspaper article about a famous bank robber that my grandmother once gave dinner to and didn't know who he was...can not remember who he was...

AS for my grandfather Ole Amundson I don't know too much about him. I think he left my grandmother when my dad was in his teens. I know that when he died he left all his money to the Indians in North Dakota.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  05:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Deb,

That would have been in the 1930s and that was a very harsh time particularly in western North Dakota- very hard to make a crop. My grandfather told me in 1936 that his wheat grew but got headed out at only 6 inches high! Many families couldn't hang together through the difficulties...

The robber story would be a fun one to document, if you can remember the name or find the article.

If you want to pick up a few obituaries for your family you can try www.newslibrary.com and look at the North Dakota papers--I know you'll find a few relatives--your uncles Leonard and Arthur and Einar Wall.

A number will also be in the North Dakota death index online:
https://secure.apps.state.nd.us/doh/certificates/deathCertSearch.htm

Time is short before Xmas for a whole lot but if you would like some photocopies of some of these things, drop me a line through the system and I will get you an estimate on cost.

You might also want to get software so you can keep track of your data. I think there's a free download at www.familysearch.org

Good Luck with your project.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  06:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deb,

Here is the page for your grandmother's baptism online at the digitarkivet. I'm not so proficient that I can reduce this wad to a petite spot to click on so have included all the info she is number 22.

Source information: Buskerud county, Hemsedal in Gol, Parish register copy nr. II 5 (1875-1891), Birth and baptism records 1878, page 15.

Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1091&idx_id=1091&uid=ny&idx_side=-18

Permanent imagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051116030018.jpg

The 1939 article synopsized:

Nils Jonsen Jodock b 1827 d. 29 Nov 1900
m 2nd in 1862 Liv Olsdatter Aalrust b. 1835 d. 1920

Nils' parents:

Jon Nilsen Huso b. 1800 d. 1831
m 1824 Margit Iversdatter Myte b. 1803 d. 1861

Nils' paternal grandparents:

Nils Mikkelson Aalstveit b.1762 d.1844
m Guri Engebretsdatter Medgard-Eikre

One set Nils' great grandparents:

Mekkel Nilsen Aalstveit (no dates)
m. Egjer Torleivsdatter born in Boyenstiden

One set of Nils' great great grandparents:

Torleiv Knutson Aalstveit b 1702 d.1766
m Birgit Jonsdatter Halbjorshus d. 1775 aged 82 years

One set of Nils' great great great grandparents:

Knut Torleivson Aalstveit b. abt 1673 d. 1709
m. 1701 Egjer Tomasdatter b. abt 1664 d.1725

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 18/12/2008 06:52:19
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  09:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Widower Niels Johnsen, Jodakeie 36 years married maiden Liv Olsdatter, Aalrust 30 years Sept 28 1862, see #10. Niels father was John Nielsen and Livs father was Ole Eriksen.
Liv olsdatter was born Sept 24 1835 and bapt. Nov 1, see bottom of
left page
her parents Ole Eriksen and Margit Aslesdatter, Aalrust.
Ole Eriksen, Aalrust 80 years old died July 21 1858, see #14
Niels Johnsens first wife was Anne Johnsdatter, they married May 13 1849 and were both 22 years old, see #3
Niels Johnsen was born March 11 1827 and bapt. April 22, His parents were John Nielsen and Margit Iversdatter, Markegaardeie, see #51 they were married Oct 24 1824, see
Jon came from Eichreeie and was 26 years old. His father was Niels Engebretsen. Margit came from Markegaardseie and was 22 years old. Her father was Iver Olsen.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 18/12/2008 11:45:15
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  12:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Margit Iversdatter was bapt Nov 6 1803, see #198
her parents were Iver Nielsen (not Iver Olsen as recorded in the marrige record) and Kari Olsdatter. They are at Markegaard in 1801.
Joen Nielsen was either a servant or a fosterchild by Ole Eikre when he was confirmed, see #27. He was baptized Jan 12 1800, see #24
his parents were Nils Michelsen (not Niels Engebretsen as recorded in the marriage record) and Guri Embretsdatter, Kleven.
Niels Michelsen was baptized Sept 26 1762, see #3 from top on left hand page, his parents being Michel Nielsen and EggerTollefsdatter, Aalstvedt.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 18/12/2008 14:46:28
Go to Top of Page

deb amundson
Starting member

14 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  15:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just spoke to my older sister and she told me that my cousin once did a family tree of the Jodocks for his PhD. His name is Darrel Jodock and he is a Drell and Adeline Bernhardson. Distinguished Porfessor of Religion at Gustavus Adolphus College. He is also an author/editor of my books and articles. I have emailed him so hopefully he can give me more information.
Go to Top of Page

deb amundson
Starting member

14 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  16:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie,

The bank robber I think was John Dillinger. There was a newspaper article that my older sisiter is trying to find from the 1930's. It seems that my grandmother would often take in strangers on the farm and provide dinner and an overnight bed. I remember hearing the story from my father about how my grandmother thought he was a very polite young man but later found out he was a bank robber and a murderer. It must have been on the farm near Grand Forks. I did some quick research and Dillinger did have a girlfriend from Fargo North Dakota so it could be true.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  20:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Deb,

Well the time table for it to be John Dillinger is tight. On the Wikipedia listing for him it says he was released from prison in 1933 and was killed in 1934. In 1934 your dad would have been about 13. Depending on when the family moved Grand Forks County will determine the place. Gunhild's obituary (Grand Forks Herald, Friday May 5, 1972, page 3, column 3) says they came to Grand Forks County settling in Grace Township in 1936 and they were, for sure, in the county by 1938 when Ida Amundson married Einar Wall at Northwood. The countryside in North Dakota was "wide open" during the 1920s and 1930s (during the time of Prohibition) for all sorts of things.

It might be possible that it was John Dillinger but you should exercise caution when approaching these sorts of family tales. Even though they are interesting to pursue, they may or may not be true. Let the records speak for themselves...

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

deb amundson
Starting member

14 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  20:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that I need to try to find the newspaper article. The reason I thought it might be true is becuase he had a girlfriend from Fargo and it could have been the farm at Wildrose...I hope my sister finds the article.

Thank you once again for all your help! I am so excited that you helped piece together so much of my family history. Do you have any recommendations for family tree software?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2008 :  20:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Deb,

I use PAF (Personal Ancestral File) myself, its still free at www.familysearch.org, but there are others which you may buy including Legacy, Family Tree Maker, etc. Some are "fancier" than others. I understand that some will allow you a demonstrator model at their websites. Just make sure that whichever program you chose is GEDCOM capable. GEDCOM is a basic file format which allows you to exchange data digitally with any other relative you might encounter who is using a different genealogical program than you are.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article