All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Marie Edvardsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

darrin
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2008 :  08:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for any information on the surviving family of Marie Edvardsen who was born in 1893 in Alstahaug. My great-grandmother was her sister Eli who came to America in 1913. Eli was farmed out as a child and did not maintain contact with her sister after she came to America. They had a brother but he died at a young age.

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2008 :  10:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marie Edvardsen could be female #25 ?
she was born 1893 and her father was Edvard Mathias Pedersen and the mother Ingeborg Mathisdatter. She had a sister Eli born in 1891, see the 1900 census
Elis baptismal record is #16 she was born July 26 1891 and bapt at home on the 28, this was confirmed in church July 17 1892. The father is here recorded as Edvard Marthinus Pedersen, he was born in 1847.
He was baptized Edvard Mathias, see #7 and was born out of wedlock, his father was Peder Andreas Olsen and his mother was Stephina Marie Larsdatter.
His mother Steffina was still unmarried in 1865
Finding (direct) descendants is a long and tedious job and difficult if you don't know which parish to look trough.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 19/12/2008 10:48:32
Go to Top of Page

darrin
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2008 :  18:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you wrote confirms the information we have so thank you.

Both Eli and Marie were registered in Alstahaug Church. Is that where we would look for further information such as a marriage or registering of Marie's children?
Go to Top of Page

darrin
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  06:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something I find interesting and somewhat confusing is that my great-grandmother claimed her last name to be Pedersen but apparently her sister went by the last name of Edvardsen. From what I have seen of the Norwegian naming convention they should have both been Edvardsen. Is this common or am I missing something?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  06:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is that where we would look for further information such as a marriage or registering of Marie's children?

Yes that is where you start, and continue unless the person moved to another parish. Info on this in the actual timeframe is limited.
quote:
From what I have seen of the Norwegian naming convention they should have both been Edvardsen

In the actual timeframe some persons changed the naming practice. Today it is most common to keep the parents last name.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/12/2008 06:52:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article