All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christian Carlson b:1873,Nina Hostvedt b:1878
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tracy Handy
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2008 :  22:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am researching my great-grandfather, Christian Carlson, B: 30 Apr 1873 in Kongsvinger, Norway. Son of Mr. & Mrs. Carl Carlson. Christian came to America in June of 1893 (with a group of 19 other people from Norway), and settled in Port Edwards, WI. He had 2 brothers, Oscar & Anton, who came to America prior to 1893. He had a sister who remained in Norway (her name is unknown).
He married Nina Hostvedt on 4 Nov 1897 in Wisconsin Rapids, WI. (Nina was born in Norway in 1878, and came to America with her uncle when she was a young girl - possibly in 1888.) Nina had 2 brothers (twins) and a sister who remained in Norway with their parents.
I would like to find out more about the families my great-grandparents left behind in Norway. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get.
Thanks in advance,

Tracy Handy

Edited by - Tracy Handy on 26/12/2008 22:42:55

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  02:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you already looked for his birth/baptismal record in the Kongsvinger, Vinger, Hedmark parish records? Those of this brothers (if you know their approximate birthyears)?

Have you checked the published rural chronicles (bygdeboker) for the Vinger, Hedmark area for information? "Vinger Bygdebok" 3 volumes by Eyvind Lillevold. "Vinger og Eidskog" by Eyvind Lillevold. Do they include Kongsvinger information?

Finding living relatives or descendants of relatives is not an easy task and you always run into the additional limitation of privacy protections for the living - but if you are active in your search of family ties you might.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  02:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot find any Christian/Kristian born/baptised in Kongsvinger in 1873. What verification has been found of the information you already have?

In 1893 emigration register for the port of Oslo/Kristiania there is one 20 year old young man there listed as Kristian Kareliussen from Eidskog, Hedmark -- that's not the same as Carlson/Karlson and is not the same location as Kongsvinger -- but it's not too far away.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=36&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=128174&sokefelt=skjul
Go to Top of Page

Tracy Handy
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  03:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually just started digging into my Norwegian roots. I have the obituary notices from the local newspaper, the newsletter of the mill he worked in, and the Remembrance Card from his funeral. Each one of them indicates that he was from "Kongsninger" Norway. I assumed that it was suppose to be "Kongsvinger". I've tried a number of variations in spelling his name, but Kareliussen is one that I hadn't considered. I really appreciate your help.

Tracy Handy
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  03:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His parents were not Mr. and Mrs. Carl Carlson -- but Karelius Haagensen and his wife Christine Olsdatter. Kristian was indeed born 30 April 1873 but not in Kongsvinger -- in Eidskog, Hedmark. (see record #82)
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8865&idx_id=8865&uid=ny&idx_side=-78

Study some good basics and perhaps more progress can be made --
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html

The 1865 Norwegian census shows Christian/Kristian's parents (note the spelling variations used) to be living on the same farm where he was later born, Aklangengen. They already have three young children and it appears Carelius/Karelius's mother is living with the family.
Eidskog 1865 - Aklangengen

Edited by - Hopkins on 27/12/2008 03:43:32
Go to Top of Page

Tracy Handy
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  03:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Tracy Handy
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  07:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christians siblings
Anton was born Dec 17 1870, see #18
Carl was born Sept 17 1768, see #47
Hilda was born March 28 1865, see #113
Karen was born Oct 10 1862, see #228
Ole was born Aug 9 1860, see 5th record from top
Christians parents Karelius and Christine were married April 3 1860, see #25
Karelius was then 19 1/2 years, living at Aklangengen (a cottars place under nordre Pramhus) and his father was Haagen Eriksen.
Christine was 28 years, living at Aabogen and her father was Ole Peter Olsen.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/12/2008 11:29:07
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  08:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christans father Karelius was born Aug 8 1840, see #172
his parents were Haagen Eriksen and Karen Svendsdatter at Pramhusengen.
Christians mother Christine was baptized June 5 1831, see 7th record on left hand page. Her parents were Ole Peder Olsen and Karen Knudsdatter at Langeland in Nedre Aklangberget.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/12/2008 08:54:47
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  19:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was the name of Ninas uncle?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  20:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Nina was from Ytre Sandsvær parish and former municipality south in Buskerud County born July 15. 1878 on Nordsæteren, a sub farm under Aas in Surlikroken country side born to Gullik Nielsen Aas and Trine Kristine Torstensdatter #11

Nina had an older sister Ingeborg Kristine Gulliksdatter born June 19. 1875 on Stenbek, a sub farm under Aas. #105
and twin brothers Niels and Thorstein born June 24. 1880 on Nordseteren #93-94

It was her mother that came from Hostvedt, actually Hostvedtmoen (-eie) ,a sub farm under Hostvedt when she married Nov. 11. 1873 in Efteløt church to Gullik Nielsen, her father was Thorsten Jørgensen Hostvedtmoen, Gulliks was from Stenbek, his father was Niels Nielsen Stenbek, #27

Nina´s parents and siblings stayed in Norway according the 1900 census.
I havn´t found Nina´s emigration record.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 27/12/2008 22:17:07
Go to Top of Page

Tracy Handy
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  23:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Nina's uncle's name was Thomas Hostvedt. He is the only other Hostvedt I've heard about in my family. (His name is listed as being the godfather of one of Nina's daughters.) Unfortunately, my family didn't talk a lot about family history. Nor did they document it.
All I have to remember Nina are some photos of her (she died 10 days after I was born), the stories my mother has told me about her, and the wooden trunk that she brought with her from Norway.
I would love to find out more about Nina & Christian's families (what their lives were like, why they left their homes to come to a new country, etc.). I would also like to share information about Nina & Christian and their lives in Wisconsin with any of their family members who remained in Norway (if those family members would be interested).
Thank you again to everyone who has helped me thus far.
Tracy

Tracy Handy
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  19:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nina Gulliksdatter I found in my former posting can be Nina Hostvedt you are looking for becaus of all the coincidences.

The next information is coming from Sandsværs Historie.

Is seems like the family as lease holders/cottagers had no special connection to any farms exept Hostvedt where the mother was born and Arnesplass under Gaaserud (Gåserud) where the family lived twice.

The parents settled down on Stenbek in 1873 where the 1. born child Ingerid was born in 1875.
Within 1878 they moved to Nordsæteren where Nina was born 1878 and the twins in 1880.
From Nordsætra they moved further south in Sandsvær to the border of Telemark county to Arnesplass.
I 1884 they moved to Lysetjern in Telemark, Siljan municipality, but returned to Arneplass under Gaaserud in 1892 and to central Sandsvær and farm Strenge before 1900.

The information from the wedding Nov. 4. 1897 is perhaps coming from Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune (Newspaper) from Nov. 2. 1832?
Does any wedding record exist?

If it wasn´t for that date I would think I had found Ninas emigration record.

I have an interesting emigration from Sandsvær 1897.
Nina Gaaserud age 19 in company with Marie Bøe and Thorsten Hostvedt and two from the Hostvedt family resently returned from USA, Peder Hostvedt age 49 and his son Hans who emigrated to USA in 1884.
Peder Hostvedt paid for 5 tickets.
They all emigrated via Gothenburg in Sweden to Chicago.

Thorsten Hostvedt was most likly Thorsten Timandsen born 1881 on Møkle, a sub farm under Gaaserud and a neighbor farm to Arnesplass under Gaaserud, Thorsten was Ninas cousin and born to Maren Thorstensdatter Hostvedtmoen.

Peder Hostvedt was as a matter of fact Peder Thorstensen Hostvedtmoen born 1858 and Nina Gulliksdatter (Gaaserud´s) uncle, her mother Trine´s youngest brother, for the emigration record click here

If not a name sake exist I am fairly sure Nina Gulliksdatter, Nina Hostvedt and Nina Gaaserud is the same person.

Thomas Hostvedt you mentioned must be this one born about 1882, US citizen.
He was back "home" likely in 1902 and returned to Wisconsin with Gustav Olsen Flagland (Flogeland) from Sandsvær on Mai 1. 1903

A Thomas Hostvedt is mentioned in the same Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune as abowe from June. 1. 1964.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/12/2008 11:56:26
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2008 :  12:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christians parents Haagen Eriksen and Karen Svendsdatter were married April 8 1828, see next to the last record on right hand page
Haagen came from Kostkjølen and was 30 years old, Karen came from S. Aklangsberget and was 28 years old.
In 1801 Karen Svendsdatter was living with her mother Inger Olsdatter and her parents Ole Olsen and Kari Hansdatter.
In 1801 this is most likely Haagen Eriksen and his siblings living with the parents Erik Olsen and Berthe Andersdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 29/12/2008 12:54:30
Go to Top of Page

Bernt Johan Hostvedt
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  23:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
My name is Bernt Johan Hostvedt and I am one of 60 with
that surname. I have search all the forums for the name Hostvedt, and now I saw that someone looking for the name.
Port Edwards and Wisconsin Rapids are well known names
for the Hostvedt family. I am very interested in more information as you said . Maybe we know Thomas both of us.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  13:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei Bernt Johan, guess you are from one of the 6 Hostvedt farms in Sandsvær.
Some of these farms goes fare back like Østre Hostvedt bnr 1. going back to Bjørn Livardsen, he died 1477 on Hedenstad .

If you click on the name of the owner of this topic, on top left, you can click to send a short e-mail to her.

Hilsen Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 22/01/2009 13:18:43
Go to Top of Page

Bernt Johan Hostvedt
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  00:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Kåre.
My old relatives came as you said from the farms in Sandsvær, but one part moved to Drammen and some others went to America.
I have all the books you refer to, so in book nr 5 we are talked about. Johan was son of Thimand Olsen Hostvedt and Berhe Cathrine
and was born in 1831. He get 14 children, and one of them was my grand grandfather Peter Emil.
I have tried to email Tracy, but I get a message that I have not been at this site more than one time, but I will try later
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article