All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Barsness family, Wisconsin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  20:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, meant Olsen. Texting error.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

JimPaulson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  06:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are wonderful and I can tell you have far more experience with genealogy than I do.
My cousin, who is a nephew to John Barsness has stated all along that John and Christine moved to the St. Paul/Minneapolis area (and for Geir, these are referred to as the Twin Cities since they are adjacent to one another). It appears that we still need to find John and insure we have the right Christine. Now, I have sisters living in both St.Paul and Minneapolis, so I will have one of them start calling to find the correct Robert Olsen.
I also wanted to tell Geir before but forgot, that my wife and I and sister and her husband visited the Barsness farm in Norway in 1995. The children were home but the parents were hiking in the mountains. Jim
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  16:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geir,

Perhaps another spelling complication from the Minnesota Death Index online are these:

BARNESS, ARTHUR
Date of Birth: 17 Apr 1893
Place of Birth: OUT OF STATE
Mother Maiden Name: ELLINGSON
certid# 1974-MN-019325
Date of Death: 11 Jul 1974
County of Death: RAMSEY

BARNESS, CHRISTINA
Date of Birth: 14 Sep 1892
Place of Birth: OUT OF STATE
Mother Maiden Name: SHJOTVET
certid# 1972-MN-007466
Date of Death: 03 Mar 1972
County of Death: RAMSEY

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

JimPaulson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  07:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Geir,
I had my sister call many Robert Olsens' and she finally found the right one. Robert and wife Glenda moved from Roseville to St.Paul. Robert doesn't seem to know much about the family genealogy, as he like many, has not exposed himself to it. At this time I don't think he knows where John and Christine are buried, although I would bet they are in the same cemetery as
Delores and/or Alma and their husbands. Delores did not have any children and I didn't ask Robert if he has any siblings. But these are things you can build upon with their help. I also called another distant cousin in Wisconsin today and her aunt was a cousin to John. She said the Olsen family came down to the farm quite often when Robert was young (they were only 15miles apart), and she and Robert played together. She also told me that John handmade wooden windmills and sold them at various places. I will recap names and dates of what we have all learned in the past several days and send it to Robert and Glenda. Perhaps they will become enamored with the idea of family history! These folks were very happy to receive this news and are looking forward to communicating with you. I sent you a quick email and as soon as I get your email address, I will forward it to them. I didn't want to post their email address or phone number here as I don't feel I have that privilege.
For Jon and Jackie and Wanda, you were really persistent and
I would be interested in some of the web sites you were using, such as for census data and obituaries. If it's not asking too much, please send me an email. Thanks much. Jim Paulson
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  20:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so mutch to everybody who have help me to solve this. I am very very happy. This prove that there are a lot of kindnes in you all. I realy see forward to contact Robert.

Geir
Go to Top of Page

JimPaulson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  04:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Geir,
Apparently the email facility in the user profile does not work. I also tried to send one to myself and it did not work, so I turned in a trouble call. My email is: thollow@ccwebster.net
Please send me an email. Thanks, Jim
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  20:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
The census info came from Ancestry.com and you need a membership for that. The obit for Delores came from the Minnesota Historical Society, not a site. A friend goes there weekly, so she looked it up. In return, I did some research for her.

A good place for obits is Newspaper Archives, which many libraries have access to.

I hope that helps!
Beste hils Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  00:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim,

My favorite newspaper site is www.newslibrary.com
It covers a lot of the territory included in the Lutefisk Belt, but most of the dates are fairly modern.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

JimPaulson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  06:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Wanda and Jackie. I heard from Geir today and sent him the email address for the Robert Olsen family in St. Paul. I think he is a very happy person right now!

It's possible I may post a message in the near future for some help to locate my great grandfather. I'm a little reluctant to do it yet. Tak for alt.
Jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article