All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Barsness family, Wisconsin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  14:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jackie & Jim.

Yes it is And. Bakkerud who was marries to Aslaug in Buffalo 11 july 1891 that are my Andreas. Also found him as Andrew C Bakerud.

"Johns birth date is 13 July 1892 and died January 1975. Christine was born 30 March 1890 and died September 1964.
They were married in 1917 (according to their age at that time).
Christine surname was Bakkerud (farm) when married. "
The date of birth on Christine don't match at all. It should have been sept. 1893 acording to census 1900 Dover, Buffalo Wisc.
But Bakkerud when married fits.
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  14:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon.

Now we talk. This must be the right Delores since the J is there , date of birth and time of year against census 1930, and maiden name of mother seemce to be right.

PS - all of you!! There maight be som wrong spelling and grammer, but remember I am only a Norwegen. This is not my language, but I hope you understand.

So now we have to find Robert Olson and his decendents, and somebody Fontaine.
Alma born 1915 - married 1935 or later?? Robert born between1935 and 1955 makes 54 to 74 years of age.
Delores born 1925- married 1945 or later?? Descendants born between1945 and 1965 makes 44 to 64 yesrs of age.

Geir
Go to Top of Page

Jon Paulson
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  15:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geir,

I have also found Andrew and Aslaug ( Olive ) Backrud in the 1910 and 1920 census in Buffalo County, including Christina in 1910 census.

Then I found Olive Backrud in the Minnesota death index. No date of birth, but death date is 23 Nov 1935, in Pine County, Minnesota. It could be a different one though. I have not found a death date for Andrew.

We can understand your writing just fine. You are doing very well, I wish I could do as well with my Norwegian.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  11:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim.

Do you think that it is possible that the son of Christine (Johns sister) may be could remember some small details he think have no relevans. But if we could get them and put them together it make some sence. Small things about an adr., county, town ....somebody who knew / heard about someone..
A name here, an adr. there - all caunts.
Because this is just like a puzzel, it's the small pices that often leads to the big.

Geir
Go to Top of Page

JimPaulson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  08:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Geir,

I called and talked to Johns nephew and his wife again. I didn't learn much else. They said that Alma, George and son Robert had visited them many many years ago and then left the area, assuming they moved to Minnesota. But they did say that Delores married and I mentioned the name Fontaine, which seemed to ring a bell, but they were not sure!
Now, I probably shouldn't include this, but I somehow tracked an Alma Olson to Kent Washington where she died in Oct 2003
and she has a Minnesota SS number 474-03-0692.
Also, we should all consider some dates here that just don't seem right. First, John was born 1892 and supposedly was married in 1917 at age 23 (one of these numbers are wrong)!
Then consider Christine born in 1890 and was married in 1917 at age 22. This is also wrong. Now if Alma was born in 1914, that is 3 years before John and Christine were married. It's possible but not likely it happened that way. I think the birth years are probably correct but the marriage year must be earlier, like 1913. Does anyone know a way to get free obituaries via the web? Otherwise they have to be ordered and Minnesota is $15 per person. But this would most likely solve lots of our questions. Jim
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  15:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geir and all,

It might be that the folks are not absolutely certain when they were born. I mean, they were there but were not in much condition to be able to know when it was!

In the WWI draft registrations, John is styled this way:
John Arthur Barsness born 17 April 1893 at Mondovi, Wisconsin. He is a farm laborer and has a wife and child. The dates for these registrations is 1917-1918.

I did check the Rowberg Biographical file yesterday for John Barsness, Melvin Barsness (and there is more than one Melvin, too), Thomas Barsness & Andreas / Andrew Bakkerud, or Backrud and did not find an obituary in that base for any of these people. (FYI women are usually not filed in Rowberg under their own names but usually under a close male relative such a husband, a nephew, a brother or father). I briefly checked Thomas Barsness through several censuses and he had a lot of children, but most appear to be girls with whom if they survived and married, would have the name change situation.

Not much help today...

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  17:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
Thommas and Julia had many children, as you said mostly girls. So far I knew about John and Gerhard, he should have been born 1908 (Census 1910).
If we look at Censuc 1930 and compare what stands there John was 37 years last birthday, Christina was 36, Alma 14 and Deloris 4 11/12.
This make 1930 - 37=1893, 1930-36=1894, 1930-14=1916.
Age at marrigde 23 for John and 22 for Christina- this maks 1916.(1915 I have read one place.)
And since there are some +/- we have to remember, I think this is realy near what must axept.
In the papers I got from an old man here in Norway, Christina (Christianne Bakerud) was born 14 nov. 1893, Census1910 says she was born abt.sept. 1893. So 14. nov. might be when she was bapt. But I think this dates are relativli close to right. What do you think?
Geir
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  22:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geir,

Yes, the "rule of relatively" regards genealogy is the Plus or Minus five years rule. Any date you have is correct as long as its within five years over or under!

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  04:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geir & all,

This isn't going to advance your quest much but at www.findagrave.net there is a Thomas Barsness b. 1846-1924 buried at the South Beef River Lutheran cemetery in Jackson County, Wisconsin. There's even a picture of Thomas' headstone at that site. How many Thomas Barsness' are there over here? Also reading the obituary associated with the John J. Barsness in Hubbard County, Minnesota found at the site--he can be eliminated from consideration as your John--he was married in 1921 to Ethel Juenke. And there is at least one other Alma Olson / George Olson combination as they are found at findagrave.

Also Thom J. Barsnes m Julie Ellingson 6 Aug 1887 in Trempealeau County, Wisconsin.

So the Christine Barsness in the Minnesota death records hasn't been eliminated....

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  04:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geir,

Here is the info from Delores Barsness Fontaine's obit. It gives info about her sister and her sister's family, which I hope is helpful. I'm so glad to hear that they moved to MN, because I wasn't finding them in Wisconsin, after the 1930 Census. Take care, Wanda

Delores was born April 8, 1925 in Wisconsin to parents Arthur Barness (WI) and Christina Backrud (W). Her husband Raymond had already died. She was a resident of Roseville, Minnesota. Her occupation was Receiving Department, Target Stores. She died at the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis and was buried at Sunset Memorial Park in St. Anthony, Hennepin County. Information was supplied by her nephew, Robert Olsen.

The obit. was in the St. Paul Pioneer Press on May 21, 1984.

Delores J., age 59, of Roseville on May 19. Preceded in death by husband Raymond. Survived by sister Mrs. George (Alma) Olsen of Chisago City; nephew, Bob Olsen of Roseville. Also, other nieces and nephews. Funeral services at the Roseville Memorial Chapel, 2245 N. Hamline, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Interment Sunset Memorial Cemetery.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  17:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geir,

And this is probably the sister, Alma Olsen from Minnesota Death index online:

OLSEN, ALMA J.
Date of Birth: 10 Nov 1915
Place of Birth: OUT OF STATE
Mother Maiden Name: UNKNOWN
certid# 1987-MN-019860
Date of Death: 20 Aug 1987
County of Death: CHISAGO

Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  18:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wanda & Jackie.

This look great. Out of what Wanda has found i think we can see that Delores and her husbond Raymond dos not have any children.
" Survived by sister Mrs. George (Alma) Olsen of Chisago City; nephew, Bob Olsen of Roseville. Also, other nieces and nephews."
Had ther been some children I think they should have been in those sentenses. (Me and my spelling :), hope you understand).
And I also think that Alma have (only) two boys, Bob and Robert,since had there been more also they should have been with names. The other Nieces and nephews may be from her already dead husband Raymonds family.
That's what I think seen with the Norwegen way to do it.
So I think we have to find Bob and Robert OlsEn, not OlsOn.
Thank you.
Geir
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  18:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again.

Some thinking. : could Robert and Bob be the same person?
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  19:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Bob is short for Robert, so you are only looking for one person. The nieces and nephews are probably from her husband's family, since they aren't listed by name.I'm traveling for Easter right now, but maybe someone could do a quick search in the white pages for Robert Olson in Roseville and if nothing there, then a death certicate or SSDI search.

Take care, Wanda.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  19:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Quick note spelling as Olsen....

superpages.com has 16 Robert Olsen listings in Roseville / St. Paul Minnesota. Addresses are given for all but phone #s for 14 only.

Jackie

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/04/2009 19:56:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article