All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Carl or Charles L Hertzenberg
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

howellksd

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  09:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for information on him in the US. I believe he arrived in the US in 1882, lived for awhile in Michigan and then settled in Minneapolis. It's possible he was married to an Inga Erickson, who died in between 1884-1887. His second wife was Maren Olava Nygaard. Thank you! Shari

S Howell

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  17:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry.com has five listings for a C. Hertzenberg, Carl Hertzenberg and Charlie L Hertzenberg all in Minneapolis Minnesota. They are :
C. Hertzenberg in Minnesota State and Territoria Census 1895
Carl Hertzenberg in 1900 US Census
Charlie L Hertzenberg in 1920 US Census
Charles L Hertzenberg in Minneapolis Directory for 1890-91
Carl L Hertzenberg in Minnesota Death Index born 7 May 1855 and died 30 June 1955
Initial look at the records they do appear to be the same man born in 1855 in Norway, died 1955 in Minneapolis
Wife is Marie or Maren O and children Jessie, Minne , Henry etc.
Could this be your man
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  17:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shari - You are likely to be able to use the library version of "Ancestry.com" through your local public library. You should check there and you might be able to perform a great deal of basic research on these persons in the US. Some libraries also have the online services of "HeritageQuest" available for the free use of patrons.
You can also use the pilot "prototype" search of the LDS website at www.familysearch.org

"Ancestry.com" also makes frequent offers for free trial subscriptions online that you may decide to take advantage of.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  19:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Census-1920 for Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota:

Charlie L Hertzenberg, born 1856 in Norway, imm 1882
Maren O Hertzenberg, born 1867 in Norway, imm 1881
Minnie C Hertzenberg, born 1891 in Minnesota
Henry L Hertzenberg, born 1894 in Minnesota
Charlotte O Hertzenberg, born 1898 in Minnesota
Henry R Hertzenberg, born 1918 in Minnesota. (Son of Charlotte O.)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 21/04/2009 19:10:46
Go to Top of Page

howellksd

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  19:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the above information is the right person. What I should have been clearer about is that I'm looking for information on him between 1882-1888. Thank you!

S Howell
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2009 :  21:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michigan did a state census in 1884, Minnesota did one in 1885. Perhaps you'll have to consult information from those areas -- probably available through an LDS Family History Center and could be ordered in microfilm format.

Your area of interest appears to be far better turned to areas in the US and that they have little to do with emigration from Norway, ships, passengers, etc.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2009 :  16:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your window of interestt is a little narrow 1882 to 1888, with only al little information availabele. However your supposition that he lived in Michigan is supported by the entry for his daughter Jessie Hertzenberg. The 1900 US Census lists her as being born Aug 1884 in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

howellksd

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2009 :  18:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information about Michigan having an 1884 census. I've done extensive searching through my Ancestry.com membership and from the reading I've done about Norwegian immigrants in the US, the stories about their travels from the ship to the eventual homestead are sparse. Knowing that these travels have Norwegian connections, I'm just trying to exhaust all possibilities. Thanks again!

S Howell
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  04:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Do you know more about the daughter Jessie? The other online database mentioned did not have much info about her. Just find it curious that that she was born in 1884, 3-5 years before Maren married Carl. (And according to the info in the database--before Carl's prior marriage to Inga, too) Is Jessie actually Carl's daughter, or Maren's daughter? Anyway finding out her actual birthplace will tell something of the missing time segment for this family.

Is this her in the Minnesota Death Index?

MATHESON, JESSIE MATHILDA
Date of Birth: na
Place of Birth: na
Mother Maiden Name: na
certid# 1941-MN-020971
Date of Death: 16 Jul 1941
County of Death: HENNEPIN

Nosy, nosy...

Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  04:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there is a Jessie Matheson born abt 1885 in Michigan, married to Ludwig living in Minneapolis Minnesota in 1910 US Census
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  04:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Yes, also take a look for a Louis Matheson family in Minneapolis in the 1920 census and the three Matheson grandchildren in Carl Hertzenberg's household in 1920.

And a look in the Minnesota birth index online at the Minnesota Historical Society website will find several Matheson births in Hennepin County whose mother's maiden name is Hertzenberg...

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

howellksd

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  23:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jackie, for your "nosiness". I'm pretty clueless about Jessie and her mother. It's possible her mother was Inga Erickson and that Inga died before 1889, when Carl and Maren married. I do know about her marriage and children- they moved about at times, but stayed somewhat tied to Mpls. and the Hertzenbergs. I didn't know about her death. Whatever else you dig up would be great! Thanks! Shari

S Howell
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  02:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Death Certificate for Jessie Mathilda Matheson gives the following information:
Date of Birth Aug 26, 1884 in Jackson, Michigan
Father is Carl L Hertzenberg born Norway
Mother is Maren Hansen born Norway
Date of death July 16, 1941
Husband Louis A age 60 years

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article