All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Anna Olson (Helvik)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gljnelson
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  23:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I am new to this and I'm not exactly sure how it works but I'll give it a try. Many of the family lines which I am tracing are taking root in Norway and I am unfamiliar with how to search some of the Norway databases. I have tried to experiment a little and with luck have found some of the family names. However, there is one name that has me perplexed and I can't seem to find her anywhere in Norway. I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me or steer me in the right direction...

Anna Gurine Olson (or possibly Helvik)

According to her death certificate she was born April 11, 1873 in Norway. She died on May 13, 1922, in Otter Tail, Minnesota.

She married Henry John Totland about 1899 and her Immigration date is listed as 1899, 1889, or 1879 according to the US censuses (not much help there).

I am told that she was born in Finaas, Norway and that her mother's name was Ales Andersdtr (Helvik??) born 17 Sep 1847. I have found three different marriages for Ales (Ole Hanssen, Gustavus Larssen, and Svend Endressen) but have not been able to confirm that she had a daughter named Anna. On Anna's death certificate it also lists her father as Andrew Olson but I'm not sure this name makes sense (I would expect her last name to be different if this were the case...but who knows).

At familysearch.org I found an
Anna Gjertine Olsdtr
Born 1873 in Kalve, Austevoll, Hordaland
Parents Ole Larssen and Abelone Andersdtr

I'm inclined to say that this isn't the right Anna but I can't be certain.

Any advice?

L Nelson

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  23:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna Gurine Olsdatter, Helvik born April 11 1873 in Finnås as you have stated makes it clear that she is #58
her parents being Ole Hansen and Ales Andersdatter at Helgenæs.
In 1856 Ole Hansen was at the farm helping his father, see
here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/04/2009 00:47:10
Go to Top of Page

gljnelson
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  00:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! That was fast! I appreciate your help. I was pretty confident in my findings but wanted to view a record to confirm my information. THANKS!!!

As I am going along, is it OK to post questions such as this or is that tedious for you? Sometimes the language barrier gets in the way as I am trying to search and try as I might I can't find the person I am searching for.

If I go to post about a different name and it is not part of this particular family line I'm assuming it is best to start another topic? Thank you again!

L Nelson
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  00:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In most cases you will get help here, for new families a new topic would be best.
Ales Andersdatters baptismal record is most likely #103 she was born Sept 17 and baptized Sept 26 1847 in Kvinnherad parish.
Ole Hansen was born April 9 1843, see #74.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/04/2009 00:46:53
Go to Top of Page

gljnelson
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  01:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

I have found records which indicate the Ole and Ales had two other children:

Hans Johan
Born 2 Aug 1871
Finnas, Norway

Anton Nikolai
Born 19 May 1878
Finnas, Norway

How do I go about finding out if they immigrated to the USA?

L Nelson
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  01:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even for beginners like you and I, you can use the Digitalarkivet. If you click on #58 in the above post, and then use the arrows at the top of the page to navigate to page 35 in the section you will be in the 1878 time frame. Looking down that page you will find at #64 date 19th Mai Anton Nikolai.

Clicking on the box at the top of page called Contents Page will take you to a page that tells you where this information is coming from ie, the county (fylke) and parish.

We will probably never be as adept at reading the parish registers as our senior member counterparts but we can try
Go to Top of Page

gljnelson
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  02:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your help. I have experimented a little bit in the past with this database but often get lost because I'm not sure what they are asking for. I've tried to google the translation of a few Norwegian words to help me navigate. Hopefully I will become more comfortable and familiar with the database...Thanks Again!

L Nelson
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  03:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it is not as simple, for example Hans Johan. He could not be found under the search parameters Hordaland, Finnås, birth and baptism 1871.
However I did find him under Hordaland, Finnås Moster, birth and baptism records 1871.
I tried Finnås Moster because the Census listed under here listed both Moster and Finnås.
Sometimes it is a matter of search and search.
You wil find Hans Johan here

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8823&idx_id=8823&uid=ny&idx_side=-71

as #25
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  03:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found this web site to be very useful, both when I started and now. It has links to an online dictionery, as well as a good article on Parish Records. It also has info on specific counties (fylke), including yours of Hordaland. I was given the link by members of this site, specifically Hopkins if I remember right.
Main Link
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na2.html
Dictionery
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
Parish Records
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  06:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Hansen, Finnaas and Alis Andersdatter married October 20 1870, see #24 Ole was 27 years old and his father was Hans Johnsen, Alis was 23 years old and her father was Anders Johnsen.
Alis parents and siblings are at Vigen in 1865
The parents were married 3rd day of Easter 1834, see couple #3 Anders was 29 years old and his father was John Hansen. Anna was 25 years old and her father was Samson Samsonsen.
The baptismal record for Anders is the 4th on right page, he was baptized Aug 3 1805. His parents Jon Hansen and Ales Andersdatter were at Stølen, they were married June 5 1803, see 3rd couple (left column) on left page. Ales Andersdatter came from Møklebust.
Jon Hansen and his mother and siblings in 1801
(Jon Hansen and Ales Andersdatter also had a daughter Anna born 1809, see next to the last record on right page.)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/04/2009 09:13:29
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  09:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Hansens mother Siri Samsonsdatter was born 1804, baptized July 28, see 5th record on left page.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article