All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Following olsen-ohlsen to Minneasota
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KimConnerSchmitt

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  16:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I've located my ancestors coming through New York Port June 1868. Niels, Helene, mauritz,henriette,Ovidia, and Nora. What would be the best way to follow their path to Minneasota. I know they were listed in the 1880 Ham Lake Census. Their ship directory listed Chicago on the S/S Argo 1 . Any ideas would be helpful.

Kim

KC-Schmitt

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  18:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kim,

You will want to find them in the US Federal census of 1870 and if they are included in the 1875 Minnesota state census. Knowing where they were would narrow their travel time and give some idea of mode of transport across US.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  22:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the 1870 US Census the family is already living in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They are listed as

Nelson Oleson age 40 farm laborer born in Norway
Helen Oleson age 30
Mary age 9
Olive age 7
Hennrietta age 5
Nora age 3

All born in Norway
Go to Top of Page

KimConnerSchmitt

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  23:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be the family. I wish I knew about when they arrived and how. My guess is train,their ticket went to chicago. So chicago to Minneasota. I wondering if they would be in the territorial census? If the family already living their in 1870 they might be locate din the territorial census for minnneasota. What do you think?

KC-Schmitt
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  23:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1875 Minnesota State and Territorial Census they are living in Ham Lake, Anoka County, Minnesota. They are

Nils Olson age 45 born in Norway
Helene Olson age 35
Ovidia age 12
Henrietta age 8
Elmar age 4, born in Minnesota
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  00:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1895 Minnesota State and Territorial Census they are listed as again living in Ham Lake, Minnesota.
They are
Nils Olson age 65 born Norway
Helen Olson age 55
Hartwell Olson age 19 born in Minnesota

In this Census there is a box for "How long a resident of this state" In that column Nis has listed 27 years. Subtracting 27 from 1895 would indicate that he arrived in the state of Minnesota in 1868, the same year he arrived in the United States. Indicating that he must have come directly or almost directly to Minnesota.

There are no census data avaliable between 1868 when he arrived in Minnesota and 1870 when he is found living in Minneapolis.
Go to Top of Page

KimConnerSchmitt

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  00:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I will go with that then. He must arrived late 1868. They Lived in ham lake until they died ,that is helene and nils. Morris moved to the cities and had a cabin out on ham lake for summer retreat.

This helped!! Thanks again. Kim

KC-Schmitt
Go to Top of Page

KimConnerSchmitt

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  01:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what other records I could find that would help me narrow it down any further. Kim

KC-Schmitt
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  02:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If Niels or Mauritz (if he was one of the kids born in Norway) applied to become citizens of the U.S. there may be more information about their arrival in the US. Earlier dates have less but naturalizations taken later usually have more. US Federal census 1900 lists citizenship status. Niels or Nils Olsen / Olson will be a very common name in the naturalization index online at the Iron Range Interpretive center.

You could also try for obituaries for Niels and other family members, if you have their death dates. Sometimes these contain travel info. Did Ham Lake have a local newspaper? Minnesota Historical Society might have microfilm of it.

Good Luck,

Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  02:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would you like to narrow down further. I would guess that they arrived in New York in 1868, travelled to Minnesota, likely through Chicago, where they mighjt or might not have friends or family and on to Minneosota, There the family established themselves in Minneapolis, where Niels got a job as a farm laborer, in which he worked for a few years (1870 Census) until he was able to get a farm in Anoka County, which is not very far from Minneapolis ( 1875 Minnesota State and Territorial Census) and as you stated lived there until he died.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  16:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie had a very good idea. There is an Alien Registration Record available through the Iron Range Resources Center for a Mauritz Olson, County Hennepin. Click on

http://www.ironrangeresearchcenter.org/scripts/runisa.dll?IRRRB.66322:SEARCHDETAIL:1645806661:ALIENREG,76888

As you can see there is not much informatin available from the online data, however if you travel to Chisholm, Minnesota for any reason you can veiw the record..You can search thier data base for other family members as well.

Go to Top of Page

KimConnerSchmitt

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  16:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess nothing that pretty much sums it up.

Jackie Mnhs didn't have Niels or Helene Obituaries, since in the 1900's they were just weekly papers. I have been collecting all the obituaries from my ancestors but their has been a few that the historical society doesn't have which is ok.
Thanks again for all your help. Kim

KC-Schmitt
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2009 :  19:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Just because the local paper was a weekly doesn't mean necessarily that there will be no obituary for Niels and Helene. If you haven't checked for them for that reason, I'd urge you to try. What about obits for the daughters and Morris (Mauritz)? When did Niels and Helene die? I can check an obituary database which begins about 1914 if they died after that date...

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

KimConnerSchmitt

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2009 :  20:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Niels and Helene died 1900 and 1901. I talked with MNHS they donot have records of them. Yes I have been collecting obituaries of all the family members in the family. I guess Anoka only had 1 newspaper at the the time and it wasn't mentioned. Morris obituary mentioned that his parents were early settlers of Ham lake.I'm also wondering if any body has a clue on how to find Immigrant ships from chicago Illinois to Minneasota. I'ved been trying to find articles of Minneasota History which might talk about certain things like that .
Kim

KC-Schmitt
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  18:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kim,

There were several Morris Olson obits in the Rowberg file but none that appeared to be 'your" Morris. Do you know what happened to the girls in the family, who they married etc?

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

KimConnerSchmitt

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  23:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jackie,

Morris died in 1930. You could find him in MN tribune I believe. His sisters got married in MN and died in Minneasota. Nora died in 187O's. Ovidia marreid John Easthagen from Norway, Henrietta maried Otto glorvick from Norway. I donot have the actual years that they died with me at work. But I do have them at home. I know most of the family is buried in Minneasota . Kim

KC-Schmitt
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article