All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Ivarna Berntine Olsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

renees
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  01:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for any help on Ivarna Berntine Olsen born 15.05.1887 Norway. Emigrated to USA Jun 27, 1906. Destination Sioux City, Iowa. I think I found passenger list for her arrival Boston July 15, 1906 ship Cymric. She was a servant and had an aunt Ava Ekker.
Any help on a marriage and any children.
Thank you,
Renee

Renee Sanders

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  02:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like she left Trondheim 6-27-1906

Ivarna B. Ols leaving Trondheim

It indicts she was living in Bjørnøn and headed to Sioix City

Edited by - KnudsonFamily on 23/06/2009 02:17:04
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  03:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is listed in the ships manifest as Ivarna Berntine Olsen arrival date 15 Jul 1906, age 19, est. birth year 1887, friends name Ave Ekker, departure Liverpool, England, ship name Cymric, port of arrival Boston Mass. Last residence Lyd Kroya, Going to visit aunt Ave Ekker at 103 L Virginia Street, Sioux City, Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  04:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do youi know about Ave Ekker. Do you know anything about her birth date or immigration date. There is a Annie Eeker born in Dec, 1866 in Norway, immigrated 1880 married to John also born in Norway. Living Sioux City, Woodbury County Iowa. Found in the 1900 US Census. She and her family are the only people in Sioux City in the 1900 US Census with a name resembling Ekker. She is known as Anna in the 1910 US Census still living with her husband John and many children,However immigration date given here is 1892. There is no evidence of a border etc. named Ivarna B Olsen unfortunately.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  04:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other question about Ivarna Berntine Olsen, would she have been born in 1887 in Tr Gratangen Selnes.
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  05:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943 it indicates the trip was paid for by John E????? (looks like Elster to me) The aunt Ave Ekker is very readable.
Go to Top of Page

renees
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  05:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know anything about Ave Ekker except she was Ivarna's aunt. Ivarna would not be inthe 1900 census as she didn't arrive until 1906. It might be the same Ekker's tho. I'm not sure where Ivarna was born I think Trondjeim.
Thank you, Renee

Renee Sanders
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  05:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lyndal40, what are you using to look at the census? Using your lead and Ancestry.com I found a John and Annie ecker/Eker.
with the 1925 census indicating Annie's Mother: Emgrey Peterson and father Benjohman Christerforson

Mary <><
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  08:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ivarna Berntine was born at the Nygård farm in Roan, Bjørnør, see #21
her parents were Ole Olsen and Petternella Benjaminsdatter.
Ivarna, her father (as a widower - Peternella died in May 1900) and her siblings in 1900
Petternella was born Oct 1 1863, see #44 her parents were Benjamin Kristoffersen and Inger Pedersdatter, Strøm.
Her parents and siblings in the 1865 census is here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 23/06/2009 08:56:54
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  16:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using ancestry.com to look at the US Census data. I looked at the 1900 US Census data specifically for Woodbury County since Sioux City Iowa is a part of that county. I was looking for Ekker or a name similar to that thinking that if Ivarna was going to them in 1906 they may have lived there in 1900. The only people I found with a name similar to Ekker was John and Annie Eeker in 1900. In 1910 US Census for Woodbury, Sioux City Iowa they were listed as John and Anna Eeker or Escher or Ecker. Difficult to read but when I look at it, I think it is Eeker. I did not follow them further in time because I could not find a connection with them and Ivarna. But they are the only people living in Sioux City, Woodbury during the time frame that fit the person that Ivarna was going to visit. I missed that part where a John Elsker (sp?) paid for the trip.
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  18:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Anton. I was wondering what your source was since the spelling you had said was Eeker and I was seeing a Ecker. I like the 1925 Iowa census since it shows parents name.

The birth record Eibache found for Petternella and the 1865 census seems to sync with your census find. The census record also makes the Annie understandable.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  19:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if I am following this correctly Perrernella Benjaminsdatter had a sistercalled Ane, Ave, Annie, and Anna various spellings who travelled to the US and married John Ecker (also various spellings), lived in Sioux City, Iowa in the 1900's. They sent for or supported the trip of Ivarna Berntine Olsen to America and to Sioux City, Iowa. Now the question is what happened to Ivarna in the time frame between 1906 when she came to America and 1910 when I can not find her in the Sioux City, Woodbury, Iowa Census.

Edited by - AntonH on 23/06/2009 23:16:57
Go to Top of Page

renees
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  19:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ivarna arrived in the US in 1906. Could someone tell me the english version of the following? Hjaelper til med husholdningen. Thank you everyone for your help.
Renee

Renee Sanders
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  19:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I beleive its help with the houshold

What's your connection with Ivarna? Might be a lead in tracking her down. I think that why we focused on the Eckers. Hoping to find her in the 1910 census with John and Annie.

Mary <><
Go to Top of Page

renees
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is family to my friend Odd Hansen in Trondheim, Norway. I am trying to track them after they came here as he dosn't have USA resources.
Thank you, Renee

Renee Sanders
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hjelper til med husholdningen means that he/she "participates with the household/housekeeping."

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article