All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Hilmar Pedersen - died in Deluth 1968
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Edd-Magne Torbergsen
Starting member

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  22:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father’s uncle Hilmar Olaus Pedersen, born in Norway 26.4.1884 in Trondenes went to US in 1903.
3 of his brothers did also go to US. One lived in St. Paul and 2 others in Seattle. Hilmar worked in construction activities, building bridges aso. Last time the family heard from him was in 1919, his sister in Norway got a letter from him, he was then working at great bridge, later she heard that there was an accident at this bridge, several persons died. Bothe the family in St. Paul, Seattle and Norway tried to find something about Hilmar. The Salvatore Army tried to find him with no success. All his brothers and sisters died without any information about their loved brother Hilmar.
Some years ago I got a message from US that some information about Hilmar was found at Social Death Index. Hilmar died in Duluth in Minnesota in 1968 (Social Index 474-03-1940). Information from US tells us that this is the right Hilmar.
I have tried to find something about Hilmar with no success. Was he married? Did he have a family? Where did he live aso? I want to find out something about his live during periods from 1919 to 1968.
His brother lived in St Paul. He didn’t know anything about his brother lived in Duluth.
Is there any one in US who can help me with the history about Hilmar?

With best greetings from Norway
Edd-Magne Torbergsen

From Edd-Magne Torbergsen

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  00:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Checking on Ancestry.com there is the Hilmar O. Pedersen listed as being born 4-28-1884 and death as March 1968 for Duluth, St. Louis County, Minnesota. I haven't been able to find anything else as of yet but will keep looking. There are a lot of people that help on this site that amazingly find things.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  05:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is one candidate for your Hilmar Pedersen. The name is similar, birth year and immigration year are close. This is from the 1910 US Census.

Name: Helmer Peterson
Age in 1910: 25
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Norway
Relation to Head of House: Lodger
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
Home in 1910: Duluth Ward 6, St Louis, Minnesota
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1904

Edited by - AntonH on 16/08/2009 05:34:52
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  05:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Not as many Hilmar Pedersen's in the census as I thought would be.
I found a Helmer Pedersen in the 1920 Census and 1930 Census in Petersburg, 1st Judicial District, in Alaska. Listed are
1920 Census-
Helmer Pedersen, age 36, born in 1884, immigrated 1904, occupation is fisherman. He has a wife named Annie who is 32 and born about 1888 in Norway and a son named Herman, age 2 who was born in 1918 in Alaska.
1930 Census also in Petersburg, Alaska:
Helmar Pederson, age 46, born in Norway along with wife Annie who is 41. Children listed are Herman, age 12, born in Washington, Lloyd, age 8 who was born in Washington and Palmer who is 6 and born in Alaska.
Quite a stretch from Minnesota to Alaska and back tho.
Do you know where Hilmar was at when the bridge accident happened? As I said, not a lot of Hilmar Pedersen's in the census.
Go to Top of Page

Edd-Magne Torbergsen
Starting member

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  12:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot dear colleges, some more information about Hilmar.
He wasn’t married in Norway and has no children in Norway.
He went from Norway to US 20.11.1903 with the boat Tasso. He was unmarried and registered as a fisherman. The ticket was prepaid from US and the travel was to Halifax in Canada??
I do not know where the railroad bridge accident was.
Hilmar’s father was Peder Olai Bruun Johannessen, born 14.01.1840, his mother was Ingeborg Marie Olesdtr born 19.01.1851, all born at Sandstrand in Trondenes.
Hilmar’s brothers in US were:
• Ole Andreas Kristian Pedersen, born 18.07.1872, died 01.02.1950 in Chippeva Falls, Wisc US.
• Robert Nikolai Pedersen, born 26.04.1886, died on his first trip back to Norway 25.08.1959. He lived in Seattle and together with his brother Simon they were fishermen in Seattle.
• Simon Hilde Pedersen, born 06.06.1890, died in Seattle 14.01.1982.
Ole Pedersen went to US 19.06.1901, he went by the boat Tasso traveling to Bruse in Wisconsin. Did he prepay the ticket to Hilmar?
Many of those who travelled from Sandstrand/Trondenes went to Chippeva Falls and started there.
Some years ago I got a mail from US (I had a dialog with one on mail from Minnesota, sorry, all this mail are lost). He told me that he had found Hilmar’s US citizen certificate (from 1932?) and there he had written the name at his mother and father, which was correct.

Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  20:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
Searching today in the Ancestry.com I found the following:
List of Manifest of Alien Passenger for the Commissioner of Immigration - SS Isuian sailing from Liverpool 26 Nov. 1903 arriving at port of Halifax N.S.
Hilmar O. Pederson, age listed as 19 but then has a cross through it and 24 written. Listed as a fisherman going to brother Ole Pedersen in Bruce, Wis.
Underneath that is a Kristian Sorbergsen also going to a friend in Bruce, Wisconsin.
It caught my eye because in the 1930 Cenus I listed in previous posting there is a sister-in-law living with that Helmer Pederson family whose name is Amanada Stornerson. The names are not exactly the same but close. Maybe I am on a wild goose chase, but will try to find more. The Amanda has her age listed as 32 and born in Norway. Does that last name sould familiar with the area the Pedersen's were from?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  03:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Social Security Death Index for Hilmar Pedersen a few things can be learned.

Name: Hilmar Pedersen
SSN: 474-03-1940
Last Residence: 55802 Duluth, Saint Louis, Minnesota, United States of America
Born: 28 Apr 1884
Died: Mar 1968
State (Year) SSN issued: Minnesota (Before 1951)

His number begins with 474 which indicates a place within northern Minnesota. The data also indicate that it was issued in Minnesota before 1951. His last residance before he died is listed as Duluth Minnesota although the Minnesota Death Index differs slightly and lists Carlton County as the place where he died. Carlton County is just south of Duluth.. All of this data points to him having spent a major part of his life if not all of his adult life in and around Duluth.

Edited by - AntonH on 17/08/2009 03:11:54
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  04:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I also found his death date you mentioned but was wondering why the birth date is different. It is the same on Ancestry as on the online Minnesota death index. Still a mystery why he cannot be found in the 1920 census and 1930 census. I have looked on county genealogy sites to cemetery listings in every imaginable place I could think. I wish he could be found.

Edited by - kathyzeien on 17/08/2009 04:42:27
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  04:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Minnesota Death certificate has a listing for Hilmar. You can search for it Click Here. You can order his death certificate on line. It could list if he was married and her name. The person providing the information could be a son or daughter.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Edd-Magne Torbergsen
Starting member

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  08:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You give me interesting information about Hilmar. During years the family wondered what happen to Hilmar. All had accepted that he was dead. I therefore was surprised when I was told that he was living until 1968. He is a mysterious man.

Hilmar was born 26.04.1884; in Soc D Index says he is born 28.04.

In 1903 there were several people from Hilmar’s home place who went to US together. One of them was Kristian Torbergsen (not Sorbergsen), so the information from kathyzeien is correct.

Ole Pedersens wife was Albertine, born in 1873. She went to US in 1909, they lived in Chippeva Falls rest of their life.

I do hope we can solve the mystery about Hilmar, but I have to trust on you my dear volunteer friends over there.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  16:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
what about this guy? He lives in Duluth, is married to a woman named Borghild, and have sons named Walter and Harry.

Census-1920 for Duluth, St Louis, Minnesota:
Halner Peterson b 1885, imm 1906
Borhild Peterson b 1893, imm 1910
Walter Peterson, b 1919
Harry Peterson, b 1919

Census-1930 for St Louis, Minnesota:
Hjalmar Peterson, b 1885
Borghild Peterson, b 1891
Walter Peterson, b 1915
Harry B Peterson, b 1920

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  01:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Good job! That very well could be a possibility. I will do some searching tonight and see if I can find anything on this family. I was concentrating so hard on the various spellings on the last name. I probably should have tried more variations on the first name. Would be a nice mystery to solve for the family. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  02:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I wil be at the Minnesota Historical Society Library this week for some research on family members and so I will pull the microfilm with Hilmar's death certificate and copy it. I will report on what is in it this week. If we are lucky we will find some family members or at least an address.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  03:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the World War I draft registraion card for Hjalmar Peterson with wife Borghild. The birth date is off slightly. It gives his address as 5223 Glendale Street, Duluth MN.

Name: Hjalmar Peterson
City: Duluth
County: St Louis
State: Minnesota
Birth Date: 28 Oct 1884
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  03:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the Minnesota Death Certificate Index for the Hjalmar born 28 Oct 1884. Does not look too promising for him to be the Hilmar Pederson since he died in 1962.

Name: Hjalmar Peterson
Birth Date: 28 Oct 1884
Death Date: 28 Jun 1962
Death County: Saint Louis
Mother's Maiden Name: Olson
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  03:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working with the data that Kathy posted here is the info on his trip to the US. It lists his fare as having been paid by his brother and lists his final destination as Ole Pedersen,
Bruce, Wisconsin. After that he is indeed a mystery man.

Name: Hilmar O Pedersen
Arrival Date: 4 Dec 1903
Birth Date: abt 1879
Race/Nationality: Norwegian

Ship Name: Ionian
Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article