All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Hilmar Pedersen - died in Deluth 1968
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  04:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
The ones that jwiborg found in the 1920 and 1930 census looked promising until I checked them out. The father of Halner/Hjalmer is listed from Sweden. In the 1920 census the father of Halner is listed below them in the census as Peter and in the 1930 Census is listed living with Hjalmer and is a widower. So I think that counts him out. Will be nice to find out what the death certificate says! Kathy
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  04:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be aware of this but the grandson of Ole and Albertine Pedersen has a Family Tree on ancestry.com. The information on Hilmar is not much and mostly corresponds to what we have dug up ie birth and death are from the SSDI. No spouse or children mentioned. But you can look at the Family Tree and contact Bernard Pedersen.

Edited by - AntonH on 18/08/2009 22:02:50
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  04:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
I also seen the family tree above that you mentioned. I have a feeling too by the tree that they knew nothing about Hilmer either. One member of my family years ago just seemed to disappear. Through a lot of digging from family members they eventually found out where he had been and his extended family. Just would be so nice to find out what happened to Hilmer so the family would know and give closure.
Go to Top of Page

Edd-Magne Torbergsen
Starting member

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  07:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI
the family in St Paul, including Bernard Pedersen have no information about Hilmar. All information they have I gave them som years ago.

From Edd-Magne Torbergsen
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  17:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I was still searching last night and found some further information on Simon Pedersen which I will give you. You may have it Edd, but it is not listed on the family tree on Ancestry. It is from Simon and Tora's U.S. Petition's for Naturalization:
U.S.Petition for Naturalization - Seattle, Washington
Tora Kristine Pedersen - 7532-11th Ave. S.W. Seattle
Born: Trondeness, Norway on Oct. 2, 1889
Married: Oct. 14, 1920 at Trondanes, Norway to Simon Hilde Pederson who was born on June 4, 1890 at Trondanes, Norway
Entered the United States at New York, NY on Feb. 13, 1925.
Husband was naturalized in Seattle, Washington on Sept. 9, 1933. Last residence was Sandstrand, Norway.
I emigrated to the United States on Vessel S Fredrick. Witnesses: Hilberg Johanson, occupation, King Co. Employee and Ellen Olsen, housewife.

On Simon's:
Declared to become citizen on Feb. 20, 1928 in the Superior Court of Siskiyon of Yreke, California. Entered the United States Feb. 13, 1925.
Children's birthdates:
Paula - Born: June 23, 1922 in Sandstrand, Norway and Harry born August 28, 1925 in Klemeth Falls, Oregon.
Smeared ink on bottom and then states that in Oregon from March 15, 1926 to May 1926 and California from May 1926 to March 1928.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  19:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Not to get off the track of Hilmer but I did find something else on Simon for you. Interesting to see he must have went back to Norway to marry?
World War One Draft:
Simon Hilde Pedersen - Born June 4, 1890
Home Address: Valley Hotel, Portland, Oregon
Declared intention to become citizen
Born in Sandstrand, Norway
Logger at Deer Island Logging Company, Deer Island, Oregon
Single and dated May 6, 1917
Just thought would give you that information. Always nice to have as much information on family as possible. Kathy

Edited by - kathyzeien on 18/08/2009 19:47:56
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  21:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I obtained a copy of the Minnesota Department of Health Certificate of Death for Hilmar O. Pedersen today. While it does not contain a huge amount of new information, the one important peice of data is the fact that Hilmar was never marrried. The following information is on the Certificate.

Name: Hilmar O. Pedersen
Date of Birth: Feb 28, 1885
Location of Death: Moose Lake State Hospital, Moose Lake, Carlton, Minnesota
Birthplace: Norway
Married: Never Married
In Armed Forces: No
Social Security Number: 474-03-1940
Residence:Central Apartments, 105 1/2 E. Superior St. Duluth, Minnesota
Father: Peder Johansen
Mother: Tubar W. Olsen
Cause of Death: Pneumonia

No names are listed on the Certificate except for those of the Doctor with the Moose Lake State Hospital and the Deputy Corner.

Edited by - AntonH on 18/08/2009 22:35:15
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have Adobe Flash Player 9 installed on your computer and use Google Maps you can see a picture of the apartment building at 105 E, Superior Stree, Duluth, Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Well that can't be the right Hilmer then as the parents do not match up. What I cannot figure out is if the Hilmer in the SSDI is correct why isn't he in the Minnesota Death Index. The Hilmar above death is a year later. Still a mystery.
My error, I meant the birth year is different. Looking at too many dates today.

Edited by - kathyzeien on 18/08/2009 22:06:27
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  22:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hilmar O. Pedersen in the Minnesota Death Certificate is the same as the Hilmar Pedersen in the SSDI. Same Social Security Numbers. The birth dates differ but no family members were present so who knows how the various parties who file these reports got the family information.

The parents differ but not greatly.

Peder Johansen on the Minn Death Certificate versus Peder Johannessen given by the orginal poster
Tubar W. Olsen on the Minn Death Certificate versus Ingaborg Olesdatter.

Remember the man is 83 years old with no family around that we can find.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2009 :  23:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
You are right! I don't know how I missed the Social Security Number on lyndals reply. As far as the names being close, also you are correct. Good job.
Go to Top of Page

Edd-Magne Torbergsen
Starting member

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  00:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dear colleges, on the other side of the earth I am sitting reading your information about the Pedersen family in US. I am impressed about how fast you work. I give you my best thanks to you and do wish you can find the story about the mysteries man Hilmar.

From Edd-Magne Torbergsen
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  01:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Edd,
I just looked on the Minnesota Historical Society website. It goes on about obtaining records for family members. It may be possible for you to get information on Hilmar giving information they ask for and showing you are a family member. I will give you the address and phone number.
Minnesota Historical Society Library
345 Kellog Boulevard West
Saint Paul, Minnesota
55102-1906
The phone number is 651-296-2143 and the Fax number is 651-297-7436
If that does not work they might be able to get you in touch with a way to find out. Or maybe someone familiar with Minnesota records here could give you some ideas. Good luck. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  02:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some parts of the life of Hilmar Pedersen are clear. He arrived in late 1903 in Wisconsin or Minnesota. He probably worked in the mid-west most of his life since he obtained his Social Security card in Minnesota. He lived in Minnesota at the time of his death. He never married so he has no wife or children to find. It is somewhat of a mystery where exactly he lived and worked in the first part of the twentith century and it is very difficult to imagine that we cannot find him in any of the US Census. But that maybe all that we will know of him.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  23:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
Today I found a site where I ordered what I believe is Hilmer's obituary. I do not know what will be in it but was so inexpensive I thought would be worth checking out. Will reply here when get it in about a week. Kathy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article