All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Anna Jakobsen, Lillestrom, Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sjacob
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2013 :  21:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for my Great Aunt Anna Jakobsen, Lillestrom, Norway, born Oct 7, 1894 Parents: Jacob Jakobsen and Karen Johnsdatter.Thank You

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2013 :  21:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are you looking for?

I gave you her husband and the name of a son in this topic.

Anna Karlsen (07 Oct 1894 - 14 May 1976)
husband Arthur Karlsen (04 Sep 1894 - 10 Apr 1960)
son Georg Riberg Karlsen (11 Dec 1924 - 05 Mar 2002)

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

sjacob
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2013 :  20:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry if you have responded to this question before regarding Anna Jakobsen. For some reason I could not see your response. I have looked everywhere and cannot see your earlier response. My apologies.

You mention that Anna Karlsen had a son named Georg. Is there a possibility she also had a daughter by the name of Anne-Grethe? This is what I was told by my family but wanted to confirm it.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2013 :  20:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem.
Your previous topic goes over 3 pages, so you might wanna read the responses on page 2 again...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

sjacob
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2013 :  22:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a chance to read all the responses sent to me and thank you for so much information. I still have questions regarding the name my GreatGrandparents, Halvor Christiansen and Oline Larsdatter and their family used, "Spikseth"in the 1900 census. You explained the naming system in Norway at that time, however, the references to Spigset in your responses lead me to believe they both worked on this farm. Am I correct? Does the word "vestre mean west? Were these large farms with many families living there? So is "Spikseth" and "Spigset" the same thing?
You
answered my question about Anna Jakobsen's marriage to Arthur Karlsen and their son, Georg Karlsen. My family thinks there was a daughter named Anne-Grethe. Is there any record of other children?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2013 :  23:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#22 Anne Grete
Born 21 Jan 1929
Chr 21 Apr 1929, Lillestrøm in Skedsmo, Akershus
Parents: (Pudser "locomotive cleaner") Karl Arthur Karlsen & Anne nee Jakobsen
Residence: Strandgata 8
Source: Akershus county, Lillestrøm in Skedsmo, Parish register copy nr. III 2 (1917-1931), Birth and baptism records 1929, page 161.

Anne Grethe Sørensen
Born: 21 Jan 1929
Dead: 10 Sep 2005
Buried at Stalsberghagen, Skedsmo, Akershus

Rolf Peder Sørensen
Born: 05 Feb 1922
Dead: 17 Sep 1987
Buried at Stalsberghagen, Skedsmo, Akershus
(Same grave as Anne Grete)

Spigseth, Spikset, Spikseth is the same farm, just different spelling throughout the centuries...
There are two Spikset farms in the area, so they are separated by adding the geographic location Easter and Wester...
You can see how many people lived there by checking the censuslinks given.
Halvor Christiansen (18) was a servant at Spigset vestre in 1865, and he lived in a house in Lillestrøm in 1900. He might never have owned the Spigseth farm, but if he lived there for many years, he might have chosen to take the farmname as a familyname, to show his "origin".

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/07/2013 00:43:01
Go to Top of Page

sjacob
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  20:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply dated Jul 30, 2013 regarding the Spikset farm. It finally all makes sense to me and I can pass this information on to my family.

In your response you stated I could see how many people lived on this farm by using the census links given. I didn't see any links, or maybe I was looking in the wrong place.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  21:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The links I referred to are given to you in your other topic; regarding your Grandfather Emil Jacobsen
(You might not have noticed that the underlined words in bold are clickable links?)

I repeat some of them here, originally given to you by eibache:
Oline, her mother and siblings in census-1865.
Halvor in census-1865.
Halvar Spikseth & wife Oline in census-1900

Census-1865 show that there lives 41 people on Spigset vestre, divided into 7 households:
Household 1
Household 2
Household 3 (incl. Oline and her mother)
Household 4
Household 5
Household 6
Household 7 (incl. Halvor)

Halvor was a servant in 1865, while Oline's widowed mother actually is an owner of one of the 7 households.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

sjacob
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  17:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for explaining the links and the continuing information regarding the Spikset farm. It makes me curious about how farms worked in Norway in that day. Can you explain that to me? Did all households work toward raising one crop or did they each have their own crops.? Or, is a "farm" not what I would consider a traditional farm and is just another word for a small community of households? It is very interesting to me I enjoyed the picture (aerial view of Spigset farm). Is the farm still thriving today?

On the subject of Anna Karlson (nee Jakobsen) You have told me of two children Georg and Anne-
Grethe. Were there other children? Did Anne-Grethe and her husband Rolf have children? Did Georg marry and have children?

I have been putting a book together of information on my family for my nephew. This is why I ask so many questions.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  18:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the above it is shown that Spikset farm was located in Skedsmo, Akershus, Norway. There are published books of history/genealogy of the area which may answer your questions. Naturally local books are written in Norwegian so before you try to use them make sure you have a good Norwegian-English dictionary and/or a good translator/translation service.
“Skedsmo, bygdens historie”, 3 volumes by Halvor Haavelmo; “Skedsmo herred 1837-1937" by Halvor Haavelmo.

Study about "bygdebøker" in this article online -- http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/bygdebok.html

Your questions about the family will require research which you will need to do step by step. There are no easy answers. The bygdebøker MIGHT have some of that information but if it does not then you'll need to use the online parish records at the Digitalarkivet website, any pertinent censuses, etc.

Edited by - Hopkins on 01/08/2013 18:15:53
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  20:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least one of the Spikset farms are still in operation.
ca 150 acres farmland and ca 400 acres of forest.
Enough to get a good income in Norway.

The beutiful main house on Spikset is from 1813.
One of their interests is Coldblood trotter.
Owner of famous Spikdonna, a mare.
Her son Spikeld set worls record in 2000 link

The owners of Spikset 1986

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  23:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Spikset info for your book.

Spikset, a modern version of Spikseter, is an old farm, spelled Spikkarsætrom in 1422, Spikkarseter in a modernized version in a document from April 5. 1422 in Odalen where two "Lagrettemenn" Local judges announced that Harald Anderson and his wife Anbjørg Sigurdsdatter aknowledged that they to Tore Joarson had sold Brik (a farm) and all they owned in Strigalid (a farm) and 5 Øresbol (old unit) in vestre Spikkarseter in Ullern sub parish in Odalen and recieved payment, link

The text on the lover part of the doc. is origin 1422 language
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  00:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A more serious incident happened in 1499 when Knut Alvsson`s (Commander on Akershus Fortress in Oslo) sheriff Lasse Skjold was beaten to death by farmers on Romerike in protest aginst his tax collection practices.

All farmers claimed responcebility and all recieved fines varying on how wealty one was.
Ca 2 inch`s from bottom in the register we can read that Aslag Arnsson Spiggeseter (Spikset) recieved a fine on one Quinttin mynne (3,89 Gram of mynne ??) and "6 lodd sylfer" 6 lodd silver (two lodd was the value of one Riks Daler) link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 02/08/2013 00:58:49
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To find more children to Karl Arthur Karlsen & Anne Jakobsen, you can go through the christening records from the church where Georg and Anne Grete was christened, to see if they had more children christened in that church. You need to go through and read the pages manually, page by page (no search function).

Click here to view the records.

These are the records you should find interesting:
County: Akershus
Skedsmo / Lillestrøm: 1908-1916, Parish register (official)
Skedsmo / Lillestrøm: 1908-1916, Parish register copy
Skedsmo / Lillestrøm: 1917-1931, Parish register copy
Skedsmo / Lillestrøm: 1926-1939, Parish register copy
Skedsmo / Lillestrøm: 1926-1939, Parish register copy

Georg Riberg Karlsen, born 11 Dec 1924, chr 15 Mar 1925, Lillestrøm in Skedsmo, Akershus
Anne Grete Sørensen nee Karlsen, born 21 Jan 1929, chr 21 Apr 1929, Lillestrøm in Skedsmo, Akershus

Thus; the interesting timeframe would be the 1920's.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article